Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: August 16, 2019 10:21AM

Aardvark,
For your 47 years in TLWF you were only involved with one church? Was it Church of the Living Word in North Hills? If so, who were your shepherds/pastors through the years? If you don't want to name them, I understand. Yes, I admit, your experience seems highly unusual. But perhaps you intuitively knew what ministries to avoid, or situations not to be a part of. In any event, you're very fortunate.
I'm glad we've been able to connect, or at least make the effort :)

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: August 16, 2019 12:12PM

Aardvark - I was in the fellowship (in the Valley, and in the Wordwork) from 1970 until 2016. So don't feel like the lone ranger in having a VERY long period of history to reflect on.

But perhaps the last 9 years from 2007 to 2016 when I flew under the radar and did not attend services should not be included in my tally of years.

Regardless, I think we will have a lot to discuss and I can only promise that my response will not jump to conclusions or make harsh assumptions. I think discussions of differing viewpoints (voiced with respect) are beneficial to all of us. Especially when every experience is very privately one's own.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Posted by: Aardvark ()
Date: August 16, 2019 01:17PM

Yes, CLW in North Hills. I don’t think my experience was unusual. All those I hung with were also having very positive experiences. And as you probably know CLW continues with about half the number that were there before the implosion (I haven’t been there in almost a year). And obviously those who continue don’t feel they were abused.

I think the situation is that LWF could be heaven or hell depending where and when you were there, and your level of involvement.

That being said I’m going through a spiritual detox and am glad to be out. I still love many who are there but have now chosen a different path and church family.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: August 16, 2019 02:51PM

Welcome AARDVARK to the forum.

I put in almost 35 years from 1975-2009, in Maui, South Gate, CLW (twice), Shiloh, D.C. and San Diego. In a landscape filled with many casualties, I also was fortunate to escape relatively injury-free, while still acknowledging a few bumps in the road along the way.

Being self-employed and not part of leadership insulated me from a lot of the abuses handed down by those who should have known better. I ended up with a great family out of my experience, although my immediate family members were not so lucky. I can understand how you may have been as equally fortunate to not be run over by a bus along the way, but those who were driving the bus ended up with plenty of roadkill on their record.

I am surprised that your entire tenure at CLW left you relatively injury-free since many of the abuses were happening right under your nose. That alone should be a red flag pointing out just how nefarious the culture was in isolating and compartmentalizing abuses of power over some without others even knowing about it. (Please reference some earlier ONION posts that describe these techniques in detail.)

I, like yourself, had/have plenty of awesome relationships that were formed during my tenure, some of which were strained when I left a decade ago, which I hope will be restored if and when most of the dust settles.

Please feel free to contribute here as long as you understand that you are in the company of many who did not share your experience. Everyone is attempting to negotiate their way into an ACTUAL new day.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: August 16, 2019 10:33PM

Posted by: Aardvark
Date: August 15, 2019 11:17PM

Yes, CLW in North Hills. I don’t think my experience was unusual. All those I hung with were also having very positive experiences. And as you probably know CLW continues with about half the number that were there before the implosion (I haven’t been there in almost a year). And obviously those who continue don’t feel they were abused.

I think the situation is that LWF could be heaven or hell depending where and when you were there, and your level of involvement.

That being said I’m going through a spiritual detox and am glad to be out. I still love many who are there but have now chosen a different path and church family.

Welcome, Aardvark. I'm happy for you that you have chosen a different path. As far as your acquaintances in TLWF having had an overall positive experience, please bear in mind that complaining about leadership was highly frowned upon. Most people in such a controlling atmosphere will put on a happy face. At some point, you may be surprised to learn that individuals among your friends have actually had devastating experiences while part of the group. They may not have been willing or able to share these experiences until fully separated from that atmosphere. And emotional separation after such a long time in the fellowship may take years to sort out. I wish you a true new day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 10:35PM by Reepicheep.

Date: August 16, 2019 11:17PM

Thanks for the excellent insightful comments. I believe I’m a seeker of truth, and as painful as it is to face the truth about something I gave my whole life to, I’m determined to do it.

The JRS metaphor was to “eat the fish and spit out the bones.” I’m sure there’s some good fish to be consumed and savored from the LWF experience, and unfortunately many bones to choke on. Performing a spiritual Heimlich on oneself is tough. So I’m listening to all, processing, detoxing and praying for understanding.

I appreciate the reception I’m receiving on this sight and look forward to the conversation.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: August 17, 2019 03:19AM

Aardvark. I highly recommend that you read the Nichols paper on JRS. Very interesting. And I believe most of his points have been verified to be true.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: August 17, 2019 04:07AM

puddington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aardvark. I highly recommend that you read the
> Nichols paper on JRS. Very interesting. And I
> believe most of his points have been verified to
> be true.

There are many references in this forum to Woodrow Nichol's book, including this one from October of 2018:

Posted by: Liamthomasusa
Date: October 30, 2018 03:03PM

I just read the Woodrow Nichol's book... filled in and clarified a lot of information that had been cloaked in secrecy “need to know” .... I had just married one of the early Blix girls (1975)... I remember the whispered names and implications of secret relationships JRS had. I remember the phone call from ******* (1995/96) to my wife stating she was going public about her first child being JRS’s son. You see ******* was living at Blix the same time my ex-wife had lived there. My ex knew what had been going on. There were many late night calls from G&M trying to bury the story.

It was soon after that drama I began to realize I no longer needed the affirmation of others and began thinking my own thoughts and found value in myself without affirmation from CLWF leaders. I no longer needed to believe in those that had been my “spiritual compass” .... imagine that!

I applaud Shalom for being able to find her inner strength to stand up and put her experiences in writing and share them on a public forum. I am so grateful that Onion is sharing her historical perspective and lending her fiery energy in putting together facts and a timeline....and believe me.... I know her fiery energy (lol).

I too am lending my energy and resources to bring all the chickens to roost so many more of the dearest loved ones can be free from the tyranny of CLWF.

Date: August 17, 2019 04:20AM

Puddington,
Thanks. I read it.

Don't take this personally but IMO this article presents a distorted view of the LW teaching. It's not clear whether this is intentional on the author's part or he simply misunderstood what he was reading.

For example, JRS did not promote occult practices - he adamantly preached against the occult. Anyone who says otherwise has no first hand knowledge of the teaching and is likely using the accusation to smear.

JRS may have done some or all of the bad things cited on this blog, but promoting the occult was not one of them.

The last time I checked bearing false witness is not a biblical virtue.
The truth matters.

I could go on, but I'm not on this cite to argue (I'm not directing these words at you or any of the fine people on this site).

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: August 17, 2019 05:07AM

Aardvark, your point about JRS not promoting quasi-occult practices leaves me somewhat dumbfounded. In the late sixties and early seventies, the Bless Ins became a Saturday night staple. Right hand under, left hand over...because that's the direction the blessing flows. Belief in demons, casting out of demons and demon possession were all big. Physical signs in the body to give insight into what was happening in the spirit world (as distinguished from the Holy Spirit world) were very important. Were you ever in a service where the multitudes had their thumbs up, angrily speaking in tongues, to judge demonic spirits that were assaulting a person receiving ministry on the platform? Scary. Are you familiar with mainstream churches where "intercessors" are charged with praying for the death of the pastor's wife because God gave him a vision of her in a coffin (in 1962) and told him that she was a nephilim? And how about the belief in reincarnation? Not exactly your basic Christian teaching. If you have never heard these things before, then we had very different experiences indeed. If you believe them to be part of Christian teaching, I suggest that you run a few by your new pastor to get his/her take.

In addition, there was prayer and prophecy for the death of political leaders, auras, "spiritual sight" and a host of other beliefs strange to the Christian world, to say the least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2019 05:13AM by Reepicheep.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.