Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Prettyboy ()
Date: January 30, 2019 03:23AM

good morning kboy,
thanks for alerting me about my comment which seemingly is addressed specifically to puddington (and disillusioned) which was certainly not my intent and any concern or confusion that you or others had upon reading that post is absolutely warranted. where i stated "before you take umbrage" was an unintended crafting of words and i sincerely apologize, especially to puddington and disillusioned, for my error and lack of careful editing. to better convey my thoughts in that post it would have been far better to state "before one takes umbrage"; i meant to be addressing an entire audience, not the 2 individuals that i named at the outset of that post. yeah, yeah i know what some of the readers may be thinking that i now sound like a white house spokesperson doing a "walk back" and trying to cover my skinny little ass by changing one little word; give me some credit, it's a magic trick i learned while in the "walk" :)

again, my apologies to puddington, disillusioned and the readers of this post for my sloppiness in the crafting of my words. also, thanks to you, kboy, for bringing this to my attention; obviously there is no need for your apology given that you were spot on. as far as for me to "stoke the furnace", i think given my recent gaffe that my embers are burning low and i need "to chill" for a season. shouldn't be hard to do on a day like today in iowa!

respectfully, prettyboy

'

'

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: January 30, 2019 03:27AM

Posted by: kbyrne ()
Date: January 29, 2019 09:25AM

Reading some of the lastest posts, strangely, it reminds me of magic tricks.

Coming into the walk in '73, a huge thing was to try to position yourself to
get a "word," "personal ministry," from JRS. Personally, I could never
get enough. And like a magic trick, I would wonder, how did JRS know that
about me?

The thing about magic tricks are, once you learn how it is done, it's easy
to blame yourself, "How did I not see that? It's so obvious now that it was
a trick." Once you know how it's done, It certainly loses its allure and its power over you.

There are those people that never want to see how a magic trick is done,
because they don't want to lose the magic.

I can say that even though I left the walk 30 plus years ago, I didn't want
to let go of the magic. I did not want to believe that I was deceived. I
didn't come into the walk saying "Please deceive me." No, unfortunately
there were leaders, JRS and others, that knew how to perform the magic
tricks, and did, with full knowledge of what they were doing.

Your post is very insightful, kbyrne. No one was looking to be deceived or remain deceived upon entering The Walk/TLWF. No one purposely tries to find a cult and join up.

Every one of us had different experiences, but I'd be willing to bet that none of us realized that we were in a cult while we were in it. We thought we were in a church, a movement, a "Move of God". Even after leaving, it's easy to blame yourself for just not being dedicated enough to stick with it. You have to study and do the hard work in order to realize that you were conned. Magic tricks is a good description.

Blaming victims is not ok. It retraumatizes them. But studying cult leaders and their tricks will certainly bring a level of protection from being tricked again.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: January 30, 2019 09:24AM

Prettyboy. No worries. I didn’t take any offensive at all. Stay warm!

Regarding magic tricks. I like the descriptions discussed in the book Twisted Scriptures. I think JRS used these techniques a lot.

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: January 30, 2019 12:28PM

My heart goes out to all of you who are in the polar vortex. Crazy weather. Please stay safe and warm.

JJJ - Perfect description of the polar vortex we knew as Marilyn. I have been experiencing a refresh of old memories of horrors in the way she treated her slaves, like me. I can use all the levity possible!

I like it when this forum gets lively.

There has been some second-generation bashing going on (elsewhere) and I wondered if anyone really knows - what generation/age group was in each generation? JRS and his age group came under the heading First Generation. They were 25-30 years older than me. I was smack dab in Second-Generation. But in the early 80's when Atilla the Hun appeared in the form of the Third-Generation, I was 30-32 years old and the new generation was about 10 to 12 years younger than me. They were telling me and others that it was time for us to "pass the baton." I tried but I got pulled back in. I was a sucker and that whole period was horrible and devastating and Marilyn was just awfull. But I digress...

If the 3G was that age then they are in their 50's now. The younger ones who are dismayed and angry that the 2G people didn't ward off the damage and abuse by Rick and others are in late 30's and 40's.

The 3rd Gen. came to life with JRS in two different trips to Hawaii - I believe the unfolding and the unwrapping. But a short time later, 2 years max, JRS died and I think a lot of the 3G left. Rick Holbrook and his first 2 wives were 3G. Knowing what I know now, I think the hollering about 3G taking over was probably deeply encouraged by Marilyn who at all times was primarily interested in creating a kingdom for her weasley little son.

What say you?

Posted by: JesusJesusJesus ()
Date: January 30, 2019 10:37PM

what generation/age group was in
> each generation?

I guess I always thought about it in a more simplistic way (so it was probably wrong). :)

If you were an adult who came in around when JRS started things (1950's, maybe into early 1960's), more or less, then you were first generation.

If you were a child of a first generation person, or the same age range (born in the 60's or early 70's), then you were second generation.

If you were one of those people's kids (born in the 70's or early 80's), you were third generation.

Anyone born in the 90's or early 2000's would be fourth generation.

Anyone younger than that would be considered a current YASP or Josh Gen age.

Yes? Maybe?

Posted by: JesusJesusJesus ()
Date: January 30, 2019 10:46PM

Also, as far as I can tell, our windchills here last night *only* got down to -49 (actual temp -22). Kept waiting for that -50, but it never came. Right now we're enjoying a balmy -20 with -44 windchill, but it's supposed to get up to -15 actual temp, so all is well. :)

Posted by: Road to Damascus ()
Date: January 30, 2019 10:56PM

My understanding of the generations is as follows:
Those born before 1940 are 1st generation;
those born between 1940 and December of 1954 were 2nd;
starting January 1955 through 1980 is the 3rd; from there the 4th and millennials.
Does this sound right

Date: January 31, 2019 10:54AM

Onion -

I think you "org chart" of the generations is probably truer than trying to define it by date only.

The following is my musing on "what generation am I?" from the new forum, The Living Word Fellowship Survivors Community.

Originally the term "generation" was used to describe what time period you came into the walk. I would have termed 1st generation as those coming in during the late 50's and in the 60's, while JRS was establishing his ministry (I can hardly write that word without feeling like a phony). I really think it started because IMO JRS's words seemed to change in style as he was exposed to different era's. I wasn't around in the 50/60's, but it seemed that his style and emphasis on how he brought the word, and and the terms phrases used in his presentation were updated as the 70's brought in a generation of hippies and Jesus freaks (as they were called then). Clearly, though, when I look back there were certain characteristics that people took on that had more to do with who was leading the services (i.e., oh - just realized I'm not allowed to use any names!). Who the "it" people were at that time. I would not consider the 70's people coming in as 3rd generation. That would have been the young adults (early 20's) that started making themselves known, some taking leadership roles, in the early 80's - during the unfolding, unwrapping, etc.

Posted by: Amos ()
Date: January 31, 2019 11:45AM

that little red flag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Onion -
>
> I think you "org chart" of the generations is
> probably truer than trying to define it by date
> only.
>
> The following is my musing on "what generation am
> I?" from the new forum, The Living Word Fellowship
> Survivors Community.
>
> Originally the term "generation" was used to
> describe what time period you came into the walk.
> I would have termed 1st generation as those coming
> in during the late 50's and in the 60's, while JRS
> was establishing his ministry (I can hardly write
> that word without feeling like a phony). I really
> think it started because IMO JRS's words seemed to
> change in style as he was exposed to different
> era's. I wasn't around in the 50/60's, but it
> seemed that his style and emphasis on how he
> brought the word, and and the terms phrases used
> in his presentation were updated as the 70's
> brought in a generation of hippies and Jesus
> freaks (as they were called then). Clearly,
> though, when I look back there were certain
> characteristics that people took on that had more
> to do with who was leading the services (i.e., oh
> - just realized I'm not allowed to use any
> names!). Who the "it" people were at that time. I
> would not consider the 70's people coming in as
> 3rd generation. That would have been the young
> adults (early 20's) that started making themselves
> known, some taking leadership roles, in the early
> 80's - during the unfolding, unwrapping, etc.

I found the walk in 1971 and I would agree that all of those 18 to 20 something young adults like me were firmly second generation. There were hundreds of us who found something there in the late sixties to mid seventies. Our children were third generation and those who proceeded us first generation.

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: February 01, 2019 05:42AM

Onion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JRS maintained the 10 services a week but I don't
> think G&M ever tried to keep up that type of
> schedule. They changed everything which was
> probably a relief for all of the people but I
> doubt that had anything to do with their changes.
> Ever.
>
> Maybe G&M replaced the service schedule with the
> heavy sex schedule they talked about in all those
> meetings with the singles and the young people.
> They needed alcohol to keep up with that
> schedule...
>
> Sorry. Onion is getting snarky. I'll close down
> for the day.

ONION, I love the snark. Feels good don't it?

For years I was almost believing I was a crazy alone to seem to be the only one who knew about the substance abuse and not be ok with it.

i am behind on catching up with post son this forum. I've gotten engrossed with another pathway of survivors. I am so thrilled to be reuniting with good friends. As I am communicating with loved ones we all have questions.

Is there anyone out there un-tangling the corporate paper work trail?
then my question is if we find out who's name has what post of gold what do do with that information? It would take an Erin Brochvich to unearth at big price tag. My son and I have been wondering about a class action suit for loss of hi inheritance- seems selfish but it is an angle to pursue because the statutes of limitations is up on his abuse case.
I'm calling around in Iowa to try to find a class action attorney. But when I do find one interested in taking it on, we need other in the class action with us.all of our concerns are massive to focus on I suppose.

I know there are separate investigations here and there.I am madly trying to write out bits and pieces of what I know just so I have things written down to verify someone else's similar story.

But, now what do we do with the information we all are sharing? What investigation is needing what from whom? My information is old- but I can help with background that most don't know the old connections of they got form here to there.

Now, what can I do to help? Who can help with any financial claims about inheritance that went into Shiloh?
Feel free to PM me

I hope that my choice of words never offends nor triggers any one. I feel the increased stress among st our friends and family over the latest news flashes.
Hey, JeztheBelle, I'm here for ya anytime.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.