Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: December 08, 2017 01:27AM

Puddington:
"First it was "you gotta get a revelation of The Apostle", then it was "you gotta get a revelation of John and Marilyn", then it was Marilyn, and then Gary & Marilyn. And no matter how hard I tried, no light bulb ever came on for me."

Many times that statement "you need to get a revelation of ______" was used to place a protective shield around someone that had committed a transgression that affected many lives, and made loyalty to this person the issue.
John used this tactic often, and very few had the audacity to even consider questioning "The Apostle to the Kingdom", lest they be labeled a Pharisee or worse. I recall the first ministry I received from John (marriage check-out), who said I had a "freelance spirit" and was not as submissive to authority as the woman who became my wife. Of course now I'm thankful I have a certain amount of independent thinking. Without it, it's probable my wife and I would still be trapped in the cult. Not my kids. They mentally checked out of the place at very young age.

p.s. if anyone is even thinking of disagreeing with this post, my answer is that you need to get a revelation of changedagain--even if there "ain't no revelation to get!" :)

Date: December 11, 2017 12:55AM

The result of Tuesday's election is significant for the future of our country, I think. I just hope the Alabama folks have a revelation of Roy Moore, and vote the way God wants them to. ;)

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: December 12, 2017 03:13PM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The result of Tuesday's election is significant
> for the future of our country, I think. I just
> hope the Alabama folks have a revelation of Roy
> Moore, and vote the way God wants them to. ;)

IMO most likely divine revelation charismatic folks say they get from God is hogwash. Yet, the notion of God speaking to folks seems so intertwined with cults. I think many in the forum can't help but see and compare the cultish quality of Trumpkin supporters elevation of DT to the elevation the LW members attribute to JRS and G&M as God's anointed. And I can't help but notice family photos of poor Melania looking so shocked. Has she had a divine revelation? lol

Posted by: Cloudwatcher ()
Date: December 12, 2017 03:45PM

Tknc Wrote:
> This statement is something I have heard all my
> life (even though my family left the church in
> '82). The entire time I have been married to my
> wife, my family would tell me she "needs a
> revelation" of Christ and the body of Christ aka
> my family. She tried for four years. She never got
> one and my mom started calling her a heathen.
>
> This is not something you can explain to an
> outsider and there is no clear path to have it. I
> pretended for a long time that I had one to feel
> like I belonged to my family. This description of
> the inner core yielding is very accurate and
> scary.

My heart goes out to you Tknc. I am sure we have crossed paths some time in the past. Your story makes me feel sick to my stomach. It is just so sad. I know that you can take the people out of the Walk but not necessarily the Walk out of the people.

So many still hold JRS as the sacred cow--remembering the glory days before Marilyn. And yet little did anyone know that he was so very sick and willfully controlling us. His charisma ---truly he was loving---I guess it was overwhelming and to think that none of it was real just is beyond the pale--to invest so much--to lose so much.

I can only hope there was something gained in it--that it was not a waste. What your mother is doing is unacceptable and kudos to you for making a decision based on your life, not hers. The only hope of her changing her mind is to lose you because of it.

Stand your ground--it shows that you love your family but not at the cost of losing the good thing you have. May you be well and happy and find answers. Religion sucks and we in the LW got the worst case scenario--look at all those people who gave all--so old now--I guess the thought of it all being a sham is too much to face even if you know it is. But I am ever greatful for my escape that came with a cost-- but still--to have what is left of my life to live - what an adventure. I can cry but I still have joy. I wish you joy.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: December 12, 2017 10:16PM

We all paid a price to leave, I suspect. Now our joy is in the freedom we have.

Date: December 12, 2017 10:21PM

lily rose Wrote:
> And I can't help but notice family photos of poor Melania looking so shocked.

Wondering every day...how did I get into this horror show?

Date: December 12, 2017 10:23PM

Nice

Cloudwatcher Wrote:

> My heart goes out to you Tknc. I am sure we have
> crossed paths some time in the past. Your story
> makes me feel sick to my stomach. It is just so
> sad. I know that you can take the people out of
> the Walk but not necessarily the Walk out of the
> people.
>
> So many still hold JRS as the sacred
> cow--remembering the glory days before Marilyn.
> And yet little did anyone know that he was so very
> sick and willfully controlling us. His charisma
> ---truly he was loving---I guess it was
> overwhelming and to think that none of it was real
> just is beyond the pale--to invest so much--to
> lose so much.
>
> I can only hope there was something gained in
> it--that it was not a waste. What your mother is
> doing is unacceptable and kudos to you for making
> a decision based on your life, not hers. The only
> hope of her changing her mind is to lose you
> because of it.
>
> Stand your ground--it shows that you love your
> family but not at the cost of losing the good
> thing you have. May you be well and happy and find
> answers. Religion sucks and we in the LW got the
> worst case scenario--look at all those people who
> gave all--so old now--I guess the thought of it
> all being a sham is too much to face even if you
> know it is. But I am ever greatful for my escape
> that came with a cost-- but still--to have what is
> left of my life to live - what an adventure. I
> can cry but I still have joy. I wish you joy.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: December 13, 2017 08:39AM

puddington Wrote:
> We all paid a price to leave, I suspect. Now our
> joy is in the freedom we have.

Agreed, Puddington.

This is the first time I am posting, but I have been following the forum off and on for quite awhile. I am so appreciative that it is available. I came into “the walk” as a teenager, and finally terminated my association for good after more than forty years. There were many red flags along the way that I learned to ignore and suppress. There were definitely times I wanted to leave, but the longer you are in, the more complicated it becomes to break away. It was helpful to me when I discovered this blog and more information on cults that control their members. Here I read things that I had thought about many times, but was afraid to admit. And reading and pondering helped give me hope that there were others who felt as I did.

I still haven't been able to attend a church again, even a few years after leaving. I read the Woodrow Nichols book from the links mentioned on this forum. I found it to be very helpful. I remember first-hand a great many events that were detailed in the book. Good thoughts to all those on the long road to freedom. And thanks again to all those who post here.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: December 14, 2017 12:16AM

Great post Reepicheep. I'm glad you decided to jump in and share your experience. Extracting oneself from the LW really can be complicated, but the freedom is well worth it. Please feel free to chime in with your insights at anytime.

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: December 14, 2017 12:59AM

I also appreciate you adding to the conversation, Reepicheep. What a screen name. I recall the angst I felt. The first time I posted. I share your opinions. There have been some excellent conversations on this message board.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.