Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: October 14, 2022 02:01AM

A post from Imapurple approximately three years ago:

Posted by: Imapurple
Date: November 27, 2019 10:23AM

I was standing outside with JRS one late night at Shiloh and he was looking at the water tower and he said , one day lightning is going to hit that thing and this whole damn place is going to burn down. Well, maybe it’s wasn’t lightning but it’s sure burning down. I truly believe that he was regretful of his openness to Marylyn and all the craziness that followed. I believe he knew it was wrong and knew God was never in all that. I’m not making excuses for him. I just think he knew he had been buying into his own BS and the BS that was always around him. On his bed as he was sick and dying he cried out asking Martha for forgiveness. He knew.......

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: October 14, 2022 11:23AM

Imapurple wrote:

"I just think he knew he had been buying into his own BS and the BS that was always around him. On his bed as he was sick and dying he cried out asking Martha for forgiveness. He knew......."

A bit late, but somewhat gratifying nonetheless.

Date: October 17, 2022 06:54AM

Making it up as he goes along...
A few posts from March 1, 2016:

Posted by: Cloudwatcher
Date: March 01, 2016 01:33AM

I think he is trying to prepare the people for he "New Revelation" so they will keep the money flowing. You would think a church would have more to do than hang on every "current word" and nothing else.
He took the younger jet set with him and left the old guard behind. The efforts to inculcate the younger leaders is a clear delineation--yes it is a slippery slope and anyone is expendable who isn't necessary-he doesn't care about anyone but himself--- a bean counter and has no problem dumping anyone anywhere who doesn't serve his bottom line.

You know, I am a bit suspicious of where this Brazil/Catholic/Pope connection is leading. G and M have renounced so many things that were John Stevens --- important things. And they stood on his dead shoulders to do it--- proclaiming the new day of the Kingdom. When we are talking about the antichrist, with all the ways John Stevens was repudiated even to the point of being told not to listen to his tapes—he is dead—follow us. Is it a stretch to think that G would go so far as to accuse him of such a thing?

Posted by: Saw enough
Date: March 01, 2016 09:54AM

There was a period of time after JRS died where Gary claimed to have a revelation that Satan had been bound as a result of John's death and that if you really had perception you would be aware that the spirit of Satan was not present. These many years later, Satan has reappeared as an enemy, especially as the messages have conformed more to traditional Christian teachings. Maybe this was the result of Gary's seminary training. But one thing does remain the same -- whatever new revelation is preached, it comes with the same level of exact certainty and authority, even if it is contradictory to what has been said before.

I did not know that there was a time where people were even told not to listen to JRS' tapes. Is that true? Or were they told something like the old revelation is not good enough to lead them into the new day? Either way ... how convenient.

Posted by: Cloudwatcher
Date: March 01, 2016 11:06AM

I cannot remember the exact wording--I do remember it was like--and I heard this correctly "John is dead". It really bothered me that they would say that and why on earth would be not listen to John's tapes. And they had started hammering the "current word" thing? You know--John's word was not current.

This also culminated in the mid 90's when they sent out that word about "The Living Word" and that all pastor's must preach from the current word. People were no longer allowed to preach from the bible and get your own revelation---this killed the very thing John had created when he taught the young men how to get a word or message on their own. He never ever put that restriction on them--it was the furthest thing from his mind.

I know the bible has gained in popularity over the past decade in the fellowship. But the scriptures are still twisted and because it sounds more conventional it is a mixture I think. I like your astute observation of how everything that is said is said with the same authority---even when it contradicts something he said the day before even. That is so true. Like a straight man in a comedy act.

Date: October 18, 2022 12:57AM

I don't remember the direction about not listening to JRS tapes. It might be that the Hargraves only said that to certain groups and I was not aware. I do remember hearing about John's big problem was not opening up enough to Marilyn (whatever that means). We have since learned that they were told that he had fathered a child with a former secretary (not Marilyn). And that he was with that same person on the day in 1972 when he was "caught up in the spirit and received amazing revelations about the kingdom coming in 1979" and no one could locate him for most of that day. I imagine that they were very angry.

I do remember that NO ONE was allowed to develop their own sermon from the Bible. They might as well have just played tapes of Gary in all the churches. It was pretty ridiculous hearing different people trying to sound knowledgeable and anointed while spouting the same exact thing.

I also remember the phrase "John is dead" being used to break the awe that most members still had for him as the founder. About the year 2000 an authority at the Living Word building in North Hollywood said that to me in such a callous way as to be jaw-dropping. It became a sort of catch phrase to startle people into dropping their reverent tone about the man, I believe.

Thanks for resharing, Changed. And thank you to Cloudwatcher and Saw Enough for these 2016 posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2022 12:59AM by Reepicheep.

Date: October 18, 2022 01:55AM

Living word authority: John is dead.

Emboldened sheep: Yes, I know. Did you kill him?

Living word authority: Of course not!

Emboldened sheep: You sound defensive. I think you did it.

Reep:
I also remember the phrase "John is dead" being used to break the awe that most members still had for him as the founder. About the year 2000 an authority at the Living Word building in North Hollywood said that to me in such a callous way as to be jaw-dropping.

Date: October 18, 2022 03:12AM

Changed wrote:

Living word authority: John is dead.

Emboldened sheep: Yes, I know. Did you kill him?

Living word authority: Of course not!

Emboldened sheep: You sound defensive. I think you did it.

Lol! If only I would have been that brave back then! That "John is dead" stuff was an extremely far cry from the accusations of Walk members having killed JRS by not participating in enough all nights of prayer. And also a far cry from assertions that he took down Satan by dying. Last I heard, not even Jesus did that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2022 03:13AM by Reepicheep.

Date: October 18, 2022 04:21AM

Reep wrote:
That "John is dead" stuff was an extremely far cry from the accusations of Walk members having killed JRS by not participating in enough all nights of prayer.

Well, apparently there were two righteous, vigilant people at John's side while he lay dying, presumably creating the perfect atmosphere. I choose to focus on the positive:

Posted by: Imapurple
Date: March 13, 2020 09:11PM

G&M started their affair during the time JRS was in his bedroom dying. Everything was twisted from the very beginning of their relationship. Plans were being made on how to deal with johns family and ministries who were looking into what the next steps were going to be for the churches. Complete control and pulling in the money was the first order of business no matter what the cost.

Date: October 19, 2022 08:52AM

Discussion group stats:

Comments: 12,147

Page views: 3,149,548

References to John being dead: not sure

Date: October 25, 2022 10:29PM

Despite our prayers, John never returned. But Satan is back. John's victory over him was just temporary, I guess. Perhaps he will be brought down again by the death of a future Apostle...and this time it will be permanent. We can only hope.
#LookOnTheBrightSide
/s

Saw Enough wrote:
There was a period of time after JRS died where Gary claimed to have a revelation that Satan had been bound as a result of John's death and that if you really had perception you would be aware that the spirit of Satan was not present. These many years later, Satan has reappeared as an enemy, especially as the messages have conformed more to traditional Christian teachings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2022 10:54PM by changedagain.

Date: October 26, 2022 09:09AM

Happy 4th anniversary of Shalom's post heard 'round the world, the beginning of the end for TLWF. Let freedom ring!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.