Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: June 18, 2022 07:04AM

Replica900,

Further down the page of the first link, next to last paragraph:

"The name ‘Church of the Living Word’ also designates two other Christian fundamentalist organizations. The first originated as a house group in Euclid, New York in 1972, and with Robert J.Mazur as its first pastor, it gained early support from ex-hippies. It has now expanded to larger premises in Syracuse, New York. It is fundamentalist, with leanings towards Calvinism—affirming the ‘universal depravity of man’ and emphasizing hell—and the Holiness Movement, along with which it advocates the Spirit’s sanctification and the acquisition of’ tongues of the Spirit’. The organization claims ‘many hundreds of members’ and owns its school for pupils of all ages."

I think that is the group that you experienced. Not related to the one JRS started.

As for the other link, I couldn't listen to the whole thing. (Too triggering.) I skipped around. It did remind me a bit of TLWF a long time ago. My guess is that the Syracuse group, like JRS' group, traces it's roots to the Pentecostal movement. Some of the sounds might be speaking in tongues (glossilaia). I also heard a lot of moaning at one point. So we know that the people are encouraged to be very demonstrative in their worship.

I no longer participate in any church, so I'm not the best person to give advice to those seeking a church home. But I will say that the most telltale sign of a cult is the level of control exercised by the leaders. Here is a link that might help: [www.culteducation.com]

I just have one question. How on earth did they get all those people to dress in suits and ties or dresses for church? It's been years since I've seen that anywhere. Could that speak to the level of control? Also, the people on the platform had matching outfits?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 07:07AM by Reepicheep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: June 18, 2022 08:42AM

Man sings 'Looking for a city'

[youtu.be]

Note: I could not resist commenting on this clip.

Date: June 18, 2022 09:26AM

Wow, Changed. That was, uh, so special. Thanks for sharing? ; )

Posted by: Replica900 ()
Date: June 18, 2022 11:01AM

Reepicheep

You are right, that IS the Syracuse chapter I experienced. Yeah sorry I should have put “trigger warning” on that video link. The audio is truly disturbing. I just saw a Pentecostal church on youtube and it’s pretty much the same. Like I said in my first post, I had no idea those churches were this far north. Thanks for clearing up the confusion about the original Living Word started by JRS. I just find it curious that the Syracuse establishment chose “Living Word”. Why the hell would you name a church that after what the old Living Word had done..

It’s funny you should point out the suit and ties. I was thinking the same exact thing! Totally creepy if you ask me.

I am not even looking to go to church. I’ve always had a fascination for religion, spirituality, philosophy and all that. Personally, I find a lot of good (and bad) in all of those things so I can’t claim affiliation to none of them. I’m very agnostic and skeptical. I just love learning and love new experiences and boy did I get one when I went to there home fellowship.

Anyways, If anyone from the Syracuse church tries to contact me, I’m going to the police. Not even kidding. Gut feeling, they are up to no good, and they disguise it well.

Date: June 19, 2022 05:18AM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Lilith on the necessity of walls/boundaries:

Posted by: Lilith
Date: January 18, 2020 07:05AM

As we navigate our way through all of this I think it’s a good spot right here to remind people that while we can agree that everyone in or out of TLWF are victims not everyone is a survivor. Some survivors are still struggling to make it thru some survivors have made it thru and are now trying to help. And then there are the victims that took a left turn and will continue to victimize others to their benefit either as a method of survival or for their own perverse pleasure. It’s also a good time to remember that we were taught that “walls” and boundaries were bad basically standing us in the middle of the 405 freeway at rush hour naked and thinking it was perfectly okay. It was not okay. Boundaries are good. And not everyone that came out of this sh*tshow is the same and has good intentions. Some that came out of this with nothing and will do whatever it takes to survive. Not all victims are the same. Just something to think about.

Changed, thanks for reposting this. Great PSA from Lilith. : )

Date: June 24, 2022 09:30AM

Reep wrote:
> I no longer participate in any church, so I'm not
> the best person to give advice to those seeking a
> church home. But I will say that the most telltale
> sign of a cult is the level of control exercised
> by the leaders. Here is a link that might help:
> [www.culteducation.com]

An excellent resource

Potentially unsafe groups or leaders "come off very nice at first, they go for vulnerable people who are looking for answers, lonely, what you'd call 'normal people.' They're very good at what they do and can get people to believe anything. You might think you'd never get taken in, but don't bet on it. "
-- Margaret Singer, Ph.D

Date: June 29, 2022 03:51AM

He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; And he that ruleth his spirit, than he that taketh a city.

No, this is not taken from a speech, or a tweet, by our much maligned 45th president. It's actually Proverbs 16:32 in the Bible.
I know, you're as surprised as I am. ;)

Posted by: seventies walker ()
Date: July 01, 2022 11:20PM

I rarely post but have benefited and still benefit from this site. Thank you.

Date: July 02, 2022 03:30AM

Good to hear from you, seventies walker.

Posted by: seventies walker
Date: August 14, 2017 05:24PM

First time I am posting. I have been reading and following some of the threads with interest off and on for years

My name is David N.
I left Frangipane's fellowship in Michigan in 1979.I had been there since 1973 when Gruenberg started the local church.I never spoke to Francis again.
Shortly after I left Francis was dumped for not supporting John and Marilyn. Francis later describes Marilyn as the Jezebel spirit in one of his books.
I was in LA for multiple feast visits, Anaheim, Sepulveda, SouthGate. Worked for John Bender in Kalona before there was a Shiloh, building a road to the camp.
After leaving the walk in Michigan, I also migrated to SoCal with my family.
Lived like witness protection for 20 years. No friends, no history, no church. Went to a community church in 1999.
Searched out COHK in 2001, reconnected with some former Michigan folks and stayed around until 2006 or 2007, although a daughter and son in law are active still.
Later

Date: July 02, 2022 03:33AM

From July of 2018:

Posted by: seventies walker
Date: July 09, 2018 08:03AM

GoingRogue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Coercive persuasion was rampant in the early days
> of the Walk and during the expansion of the
> seventies and early eighties. JRS used "cold
> reading" during weekly ministry services to wow
> everyone with his "Word of Knowledge". I believe
> that this one thing convinced many potential
> converts that JRS had supernatural, divine powers.
> He told people that Jesus had personally appeared
> to him and commissioned him to apostleship. The
> worship and singing in the Spirit made
> participants feel spiritually high and extremely
> open to whatever message followed. The hours of
> loud, aggressive prayer gave members a vested
> interest in the outcome. Once people are
> convinced, trained, submissive and subservient,
> the rest is easy (for the leader).

> As one who has struggled for years to recover from
> this cult, I can say that without a doubt,
> techniques were used and are still used by Living
> Word leaders which are designed to shut down
> critical thinking. Call it brainwashing, mind
> control, undue influence, deception or coercive
> persuasion, the important thing is to become
> educated in cult leader methodology. This can have
> a very freeing effect and also help to avoid
> future problems when confronted with similar con
> artists.

> Thank you to Rick Ross for his explanation
> regarding brainwashing. The resources available on
> this website are extremely helpful for those
> recovering from cult involvement. The forum is
> invaluable as well.

Couldn’t agree more. Thanks for the clarity

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.