Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: October 20, 2020 11:58PM

BTW, don't allow the monstrously evil act of one Jones (Jim Jones) color your attitude toward all Joneses. Most of the Joneses I've encountered in my life tend to be good, decent people..albeit with a few annoying quirks. They don't deserve to be lumped in with this anomaly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TheJewel ()
Date: October 21, 2020 12:15AM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW, don't allow the monstrously evil act of one
> Jones (Jim Jones) color your attitude toward all
> Joneses. Most of the Joneses I've encountered in
> my life tend to be good, decent people..albeit
> with a few annoying quirks. They don't deserve to
> be lumped in with this anomaly.

It has been my observation that Joneses are generally held in high esteem by most people. After all, the Joneses are seen as people whom others feel a need to “keep up with”. I, myself, have often been found guilty of “jonesing” for this or that.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: October 21, 2020 10:43AM

But be aware of dogs that have Jim Jones’ eyes.

Date: October 23, 2020 01:53AM

puddington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But be aware of dogs that have Jim Jones’ eyes.

Yes, I am aware of that, puddington. In fact, dogs with Jim Jones' eyes, and cult leaders who sell bras to supplement their income, are both in my top 10 list of things to avoid.

Date: October 23, 2020 02:35AM

TheJewel Wrote:

It has been my observation that Joneses are
generally held in high esteem by most people.
After all, the Joneses are seen as people whom
others feel a need to “keep up with”. I, myself,
I have often been found guilty of “jonesing” for
this or that.

Excellent point, TheJewel. And this comes from
a completely unbiased perspective.

Date: October 24, 2020 02:57AM

A post by 'Richard M' from February of 2019, and a response from 'that little red flag':

Posted by: Richard M.
Date: February 19, 2019 05:33PM

I knew Stevens was a phony when I first saw and met him. He wouldn't look at me eye-to-eye and seemed even a little frightened of me. Of course, it later made more sense. But if there hadn't been Marilyn and my kids tied to her, he never would have survived to stand at another sermon . . . But I had my own future and two kids’ lives to consider so abdicated to a lesser course. Absent any formal complaint of coerced sexual or other criminal misconduct, "religious freedom" protects the otherwise guilty until far too late .. . . . You know of Jim Jones and his murder-suicide of his followers, but hardly anyone knows that long before that he had been arrested in a movie theater for lewd conduct by a Rampart Division vice officer. It had been politically attempted to be covered up by a judge and other officials by destroying or pulling all documents, but the arresting officer had kept his own copy of the arrest report. It was made public again after the murders. I know, I forwarded a copy of the only surviving document to the Chief of Police. I say this because it’s also possible that credible and formal complaints of coercion and sexual abuse of minors had long been made on Stevens and Rick that were, or were not, properly investigated . . . who knows?

Posted by: that little red flag
Date: February 19, 2019 06:18PM

Richard M. -

Wow. Thank you for sharing. I, like others that have spent decades living this lie, appreciate your insight and honesty. I remarked to my husband, as I started to read your story, how easy it was to assume and believe that you were the bad guy. I can also feel the heartache of hearing you acknowledge losing a wife and kids to all of the deceit. I'm sure some of the posts here are hard to read, but on the other hand, I can only imagine how validating they are for you. It sounds like you lived a life worth living beyond all of this. Welcome to the forum, and thanks again for giving us additional insight to the maze of the Living Word Fellowship Cult.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: October 26, 2020 03:35AM

Hard to believe that it's been two years today since Shalom posted her story and letters and they went viral. Still, there's lots of work to do. Lies to be exposed, people to be held accountable. Here's to survivors.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: October 26, 2020 04:34AM

R E E P

It is pretty amazing how many developments can occur in such a short period of time, politics and Covid notwithstanding.

There is no telling where this sordid tale may end. Even though we have leaders on the run (probably with the $$$) being chased by lawsuits, and the 'Center of the Universe' incinerated into a black hole, we still have with us the 'remnant of the remnant' who refuse to see what is staring them in the face, and will probably go to their grave without ever seeing the fulfillment of their fantasies.

Caveat emptor.

Date: October 26, 2020 04:59AM

kBOY wrote:
we still have with us the 'remnant of the remnant' who refuse to see what is staring them in the face

I'm still holding out out hope that a portion of them will finally recognize the truth about what they have given their lives to, admittedly an excruciatingly painful step, and all that will be left is a remnant of the remnant of the remnant. The fewer that cling to the lie, the better. It doesn't appear likely, though.

Date: October 26, 2020 05:00AM

Reepicheep Wrote:
Hard to believe that it's been two years today
since Shalom posted her story and letters and they
went viral. Still, there's lots of work to do.
Lies to be exposed, people to be held accountable.
Here's to survivors.

Yes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2020 05:01AM by changedagain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.