Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: October 14, 2020 11:23PM

TheJewel wrote:
Bummer. When I was in the San Diego (Coniah) church in the process elf “blowing out” one of the then “ministries” (Stuart Robison - if I remember correctly) said I needed to spend some time at Shiloh and get a “revelation” of what the lord was doing. Looks like I procrastinated too long - it’s too late now. You snooze, you lose, I guess.

Funny, TheJewel.
I'm sure there was at least one person watching the events unfold at Shiloh Sunday night who finally did receive a "revelation" of what the Lord was doing. It was now pretty obvious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2020 11:24PM by changedagain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 15, 2020 10:25PM

Posted by: Altar_Kent
Date: February 23, 2004 03:18PM

Is anyone familiar with this movement? It is based in Kalona Iowa at a camp/compound called Shiloh. IT is primarily located in the United states, but also has churches in Brazil and japan. It was founded by John Robert Stevens and first called the walk. Stevens came out of the Latter Rain movement, built quite a congregation, and then died in 1983. The Living word Fellowship is currently being run by Gary and Marilyn Hargrave.

I was a former member, born into the cult, and I still have family members in it. I would like to get a discussion going concerning this movement and its destructive teachings and abusive practices. If anyone is familiar with it, please post.

Thank you

Hi Altar,
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. Yes, I am familiar with it. And so are many others. In fact, since you asked about this movement 16 years ago there has been 11,642 comments, almost all confirming its pernicious practices, and over 2,200,013 page views. I think you were onto to something when you referred to it as a cult :)
Anyway, thank you for making this initial post...and hope you have been able to witness the impact of your decision to speak out. If you've moved on, RIP.

p.s. Shiloh was torched last Sunday night. It was a controlled fire, competently carried out by the Kalona volunteer fire department--contained and no injuries. Almost forgot to mention that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2020 10:27PM by changedagain.

Posted by: Stardomino1 ()
Date: October 16, 2020 02:40AM

I have watched and read postings regarding Shiloh being burned to ground. My hope is we all move on from a very strange cult experience. I am recognizing there are so many heroes, just not who we thought they would be. The people who got up each day and tried to do the right thing in an impossible environment. There will be healing. It took many years for me to realize the BS I was listening to. The tweaking of the Bible and calling it a living word is repulsive to me. It took many years for me to realize there are actually great churches and each of us can have our own individual relationship with the Lord.

God has made a statement and each of us has our own free will to determine how we respond. Let us have grace for ourselves and each other as this chapter closes and we move on with our lives. Thank you and Love to all the heroes who helped make this possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2020 02:43AM by Stardomino1.

Posted by: CARe ()
Date: October 16, 2020 06:17AM

Hopefully this link works for a video taken from a drone of the burn.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: October 16, 2020 08:00AM

CARe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully this link works for a video taken from a drone of the burn.

[youtu.be]

Wow! Awesome video CARe. Thank you for sharing.

Date: October 16, 2020 08:31AM

Yes, thank you CARe.

note: if you find out that there was a stockpile of unsold bras that went up in flames Sunday night, feel free to post that as well.

Date: October 19, 2020 12:19AM

CARe wrote:
One of the KVF fireman asked me last week if I knew any former or current congregants that would be disgruntled enough to shoot at them when they light it (Shiloh) up!?! I was shocked at the question and my first reaction from years of conditioning was, "oh it wasn't THAT bad" I stopped myself from saying it out loud. I told him that I honestly cannot think of anyone that would.

I'm not sure if that was very reassuring, Care :)
Fortunately, it appears they got through this 'event to end all Shiloh events' unscathed. Much appreciation to these Kalona volunteer firemen.

Posted by: TheJewel ()
Date: October 20, 2020 12:12AM

Reepicheep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CARe Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> Hopefully this link works for a video taken from a
> drone of the burn.
>
> [youtu.be]
>
>
> Wow! Awesome video CARe. Thank you for sharing.

I understand that the torched it on purpose to clear the land for something else? Any idea why they didn’t knock it down in a normal fashion? Surley there was something salvageable there.

Posted by: CARe ()
Date: October 20, 2020 09:42AM

note: if you find out that there was a stockpile of unsold bras that went up in flames Sunday night, feel free to post that as well.

I've been trying to come up with a good comeback but it's just not working out for me lol

The proposed plan by C J Moyna & Sons Construction for the original cemetery is to geo plot the graves; lift the tombstones; regrade the ground; replace the tombstones. Apparently the ground was never prepared properly (imagine that), therefore stones are shifting and cracking. My family was discussing this the other day and my daughter-in-law said something to the effect of "they're all probably turning over in their graves" I think someone who is good at Meme's should come up with one for this hidden_traysures.

I understand that the torched it on purpose to clear the land for something else? Any idea why they didn’t knock it down in a normal fashion? Surely there was something salvageable there.

Most everything that was salvageable had been removed over the last 18 months. In fact the elevator was only removed a few days before the burn. C J Moyna plans to crumble the cement from the foundations and the parking lots and use it on the walking trails.

My hope is we all move on from a very strange cult experience.

I agree. Although now that the buildings are gone I'm grateful that they didn't get repurposed by the school or the county. They would have always been there as a reminder of a very strange cult experience.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: October 20, 2020 01:09PM

Have you seen recent photos of Jonestown? Not much is left. The jungle has reclaimed it. It has been erased. That’s my vision for Shiloh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.