Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: June 11, 2020 02:35AM

And you can bet that the Shiloh church directors have a back channel to send the funds to Gary Hargrave.

No doubt, Puddington.

'Thou Shalt Honor The Upward Flow'
Isn't that the First Commandment?
:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 11, 2020 02:44AM

Craig Haworth, Steve Rich and Ron Caquelin are all loyal to Gary, correct? I'm assuming there is not an independent voice among the church directors. If there is evidence otherwise, I would like to know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2020 02:45AM by changedagain.

Posted by: I_woke_up ()
Date: June 11, 2020 10:04PM

Changedagain,

Please do not lump in Steve R. with Ron and Craig. To my knowledge, he has been the only voice of reason on the board. In my opinion, if it wasn’t for him... well, I’m sure y’all can imagine what Craig, and co. would do if left to their own devices.

Date: June 11, 2020 11:09PM

I_woke_up Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Changedagain,
>
> Please do not lump in Steve R. with Ron and Craig.
> To my knowledge, he has been the only voice of
> reason on the board. In my opinion, if it wasn’t
> for him... well, I’m sure y’all can imagine what
> Craig, and co. would do if left to their own
> devices.

Sorry Steve. I won't lump you in with the other two. And thanks I_woke-up for alerting me to his admirable character. Taking an ethical stand within that group can't be easy...much respect.

Posted by: Twoteetwo ()
Date: June 12, 2020 12:09AM

Ravi Zacharias, an evangelist/apologist recently passed away. After I left the Walk, I listened to his messages to help sort out the toxic theology absorbed under JRS. Ravi Zacharias certainly could have cashed in on his popularity, but he made a conscious effort not to. It's so interesting to listen (link here) to the eulogies given by those who worked with him over the decades: that he lived what he talked; that he was devoted to his family, including his wife of 40 some-odd years; that he served his team; that he treated everyone, no matter what their station in life, with respect; that it was his kindness and gentleness that drew people to him. Zacharias was human and constantly struggled to keep the focus of his ministry on Christ rather than on himself, and the end result is that millions of lives were touched world-wide. Contrast that with the self-centered disaster that was JRS and Marilyn and is currently the self-serving disaster of Hargrave and his leadership team. It's important to know that the real does exist, but it will never be found in TLW.

Date: June 12, 2020 12:45AM

Well-said, Twoteetwo.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: June 12, 2020 04:18PM

Thanks,  I_WOKE_UP.  You beat me to the punch regarding Steve Rich.

All of my SOP 'vacations' over the years were blessed by the presence of Steve Rich.  Being in construction, all of my 'free time' was usually constructing something under his direction.  No more solid guy have I ever met.

Having been away from TLW for many years, I was happy to see Steve's name on the 'board'.  Craig is a known quantity, Ron I don't know, but I was hoping the Steve I knew was still the same Steve.  I apprenticed my early construction years under brother Ken, and hold the Rich family in high regards.

Date: June 13, 2020 01:31AM

Thanks for sharing that, kBOY.
BTW, periodically I search certain words or phrases that have been used during our years of discussion here. Today it was simply "friend." Interestingly, this word has seldom been used here--which indicates (to me) how influential John's warnings were through the years in his messages not to "bond" with other people, which was considered a 'soulish'( i.e. lower level), not 'spiritual,' relationship. The conditioning, to some extent, lives on. Being friendly appears "soulish." In retrospect, his intent was obvious--to make people's primary allegiance be to the organization and its top ministry ('The Apostle'), the rank and file there to serve and not make waves. After his death, G & M filled the vacuum, and became the recipients of this devotion...and then some.
Anyway, glad to hear of your positive experience with Steve and the Rich family. Very refreshing.

Date: June 13, 2020 01:37AM

‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
-Somewhere in the Bible
Note: Don't look in Two Corinthians. I already checked, and it is not there.

Date: June 13, 2020 07:15AM

A few posts that reference Shiloh:

Posted by: typer
Date: February 24, 2020 11:46AM

I also enjoyed my interaction with Simon Nisely at the sawmill. Wonderful person. John Bender was very nice also and his wife. I think he could fix anything. The best part of Shiloh was stealing cookies at midnight with Jim Stewart and Jeff Fry. Gladys knew we did it, but her scolding was not very serious and had love intermixed. Yes, there were some wonderful people mixed in. I never saw any leaders help in the kitchen (or ever seen there) and never helped with pots and pans like Mike Dayton, Gladys husband. He worked so very hard, a wonderful man who always seemed to be smiling as he washed very difficult burned pans. My wife loved helping him and being with him in 1975 and 1976. My wife helped was dishes during ministers conferences. I think in 1976 they bought a dishwasher from the university that John Bender worked on and got running. Before that dishes had to be done from sun up to sun down.

Posted by: fool me twice
Date: January 02, 2019 12:22PM

Prettyboy wrote:
>>I was one of the early ones to come from calif. to kalona, in late spring 1972, to help with the early construction of Shiloh.

Do you remember the first projects you worked on in 1972? I arrived in Iowa May 1,1973, to work in a KB in Washington, IA. Shortly after that I rode on horseback all over the Shiloh property. Only the old farmhouse at entrance of Shiloh drive was on the property at that time. (That building was removed a few years later) . The kitchen and dining hall was built the winter of 1973/74. The foundation of the lodge started after that. Also Monte Ives was nearly killed in a head on accident with a semi in May or June of 1973.
Welcome to the forum and consider yourself quite fortunate your time in TLFW was as short as it was. For most of us we were not that fortunate. I am quite sure it was not an easy time during the construction of Shiloh.

Posted by: Unapologetic Apologetic
Date: July 18, 2018 12:06PM

They started offering study halls for the kids that do homeschooling because the public system has problems. My kid (a straight A student) was having difficulty with peers and bullying, etc in the.public system, and we didn't like the influence of peers and some of the things being taught in the public system. So Shiloh decided to allow the kids who wanted to do homeschooling a place to go to do their work. Volunteers ran the study halls, and they did band, gym, etc there. It is the homeschooling program through Mid Prairie school district, so that part of it is legit. We placed all of our kids in this program. And I personally like homeschooling and what kids can learn from it.

But they would also pull the kids out of the classrooms to do various projects around Shiloh, like cleaning, working in the kitchen, setting up and tearing down for functions and events, etc., and it became more and more often. That was a little bothersome.

And yes, you had to pay to have your kids there even tho the volunteers were unpaid, so all that money went to the church. Last year we had kids there it was 80 dollars a child a month, and there were about 15 kids there. Pretty nice monthly chunk of change for the church and free labor to boot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.