Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: April 14, 2020 11:12PM

Part of quest to be free from the insidious of organization such as the now 'dissolved TLWF,' to to recognize the power of indoctrination. There were years I spent in the organization where I went to 6-7 church services/meeting a week. religiously listened to cassette tape of "living word" messages, labored at 'Kingdom' facilities on Saturdays...and meanwhile, ran my own little business to have money to pay the bills and also help fund a college education for my children. And you, Reep, could top that--you and your husband spending many more years in the corrupt organization than I did. My tenure was from '77--'98. I sampled the cult for a few years prior, and if I was in a logical frame of mind at the time, would have stayed clear. And like many of us, we can look back and see we had clear openings to leave at certain points, and continue to berate ourselves for not taking them. The obvious one for me (and others), was following John's death, and not going down the path of "praying for his return." Now that it seems obvious that G & M were getting 'busy' with each other during that time period, as they were laying trips on the fellowship for lacking dedication, it seems even more ridiculous I didn't notice any "little red flags." Make that, giant red flags.
Anyway, everyone stay safe, and let's get through this present plague with our health. Also, please try to have a "right spirit." Without it, you will lose your "covering," assuming you ever had one. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2020 11:17PM by changedagain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: April 14, 2020 11:19PM

changedagain Wrote:

Anyway, everyone stay safe, and let's get through this present plague with our health...maintaining a "right spirit." :)

No promises to keep a right spirit, Changed. ; )

Date: April 15, 2020 12:08AM

Reepicheep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> changedagain Wrote:
> _____________________________
>
> Anyway, everyone stay safe, and let's get
> through this present plague with our
> health...maintaining a "right spirit." :)

>
> No promises to keep a right spirit, Changed. ; )

That ship has sailed?

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: April 15, 2020 12:46AM

That ship has certainly sailed. Plus I have no desire to be compared to King David, who allegedly wrote Psalm 51 after having his friend killed and taking his wife. What a guy. If God called that mess "a right spirit", then I have a quarrel with the Big Guy upstairs (aka God).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2020 12:47AM by Reepicheep.

Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: April 15, 2020 02:09AM

Blowout:

---------

Good post. It has been suggested that humans evolved to the point of asking, “Why,” inadvertently creating their own psychological pain as well as an openness for cons. Sometimes I envy my dog because she doesn’t appear to be bogged down in “The Big Questions.”

Thanks to all the posters on this forum, every single viewpoint is medicine for the pain.

Date: April 15, 2020 03:13AM

FCSLC wrote:
Thanks to all the posters on this forum, every single viewpoint is medicine for the pain.

Always good to hear from you, FCSLC. And like I said before, I consider your designation as an "Enemy of the Church" to be badge of honor.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: April 15, 2020 04:07AM

F C S L C

Welcome back, Enemy of the Church.  We feel your pain and are happy to ameliorate your suffering.

A dog's LOVE is usually UNCONDITIONAL, a serious upgrade from what most experienced from 'shepherds' in TLW.  The big questions usually center around chow-time, walk-time, and poop-time--an upward flow that is easily accomodated.

B O W - W O W

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: April 15, 2020 06:44AM

th231955
March 25, 2020 12:52AM

Yes, that was an interesting time in Washington. I was in college at that after being ordered to dump the love of my life, then to marry someone else in the Wash church. ( I was 19 to 22)

I was only at service Sat Pm ( That my date with my future husband- oh so spiritual.) and I played piano on Sunday AM. Being at the piano gave me a very weird perspective.

Tho' I was trying to be good kingdom girl, I did not understand WHY things were happening as they were. I felt I had to keep my real feeling to myself.- I had nowhere else to go. All of these people were my support- including John and Elizbeth who had been my family's friend pre-Christian Tabernacle.

To me things felt topsy-turvey. I had been in CA for one semester- I hated it. When I came back to Iowa not much of anything seemed in line with what was being said in CA.

My mother detested so many things in the church- but she was branded by JRS as crazy ( I told that story before about my having rejected JRS advances) My father was very active in CT never a ministry ( he was too honest) My father was my spiritual head. I was warned in personal ministry on the pulpit in front of everyone that I had better be careful or I would be "just like your mother."

I knew that I was being threatened at the time. I was afraid. I felt alone. I feel like I was property. I was observant but I was young. If only I had the wisdom back then that I have accumulated today I would have followed my gut. it grieves me that I did not rebel in the late 60's early 70's.

TH- you must have seen "it", too. I saw so much amiss. So did a few others who were able to walk away. In hindsight, the signs of big problems were always ther- in the ultimate plan of JRS and Marilyn ( oh yes she was a BIG part of the plot)

Why did not more seasoned adults raise a ruckus? I don't know. Why did Fred and Eva or Bill and Mary not put their feet down? IMO I think jrs siblings and father knew better- Is it possible JRS head threatened them as well very bit as much as I felt threatened? How did JRS take so much authority or his family? (That includes many of the Washington, Iowa folks. Many of us are related somehow. "Shunning" works powerfully, even if your not Amish.)

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: April 15, 2020 07:10AM

N A N C Y b

"I told that story before about my having rejected JRS advances."

This continues to be a troubling thread going farther back than most ever imagined, considering how much this conflicts with the most exalted title of Door-Opener Apostle.  This does explain, in no uncertain terms, why JRS might have looked the other way as other shepherds may have taken advantage of their sheep.

Dare we say, false shepherds, anyone?

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: April 15, 2020 07:22AM

CARe
March 25, 2020 03:31AM

"Wood". I'm laughing at the pun or Freudian slip. Perhaps I should not lol.

"WJ" and a young woman? How do I word this? In my mind WJ, Dad Stevens could do no wrong. He was a rock for me. My pastor whom I trusted as a young girl. But...

I have pondered why JRS became the narcissistic womanizer that he was. ??? ( My observation form the past)There seemed to be a lot of entitlement in the family. Was that because of the father being a preacher and sacrificial living?

Preachers we assumed are held to a higher calling and to be above reproach. Yet, we are finding in current events that too many preachers have taking advantage of their prisoners with that trust. In general, this myth is being disproven.

Reep asked, "Would you feel comfortable telling the approximate time period that the inappropriate behavior occurred? That makes me sad, but sort of makes sense. His son was very comfortable being inappropriate toward a great many people, especially female people."

Of course, I am curious and wonder if I have any missing pieces to that puzzle. I don't expect you to violate confidentiality nor embarrass anyone. Rumors may only be rumors.

CAREe thanks for your contribution to the forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.