Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: March 05, 2020 04:59PM

P U D D

In an effort to avoid any appearance of religiosity, TLW descended into the black hole of debauchery.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: March 08, 2020 01:47AM

kBOY wrote:
In an effort to avoid any appearance of religiosity, TLW descended into the black hole of debauchery.

That captures it.

Date: March 08, 2020 01:49AM

A post from August 2018:

Posted by: girls_turn_it_off
Date: August 16, 2018 01:09PM

"Girls Turn It Off" was probably the most influential piece of Living Word material for my generation of young women. It encapsulates much of my experience growing up in TLWF: women and girls are shamed, blamed, and worked to the bone. If a man looks at/touches/treats you inappropriately, it's your fault because you can't control your spirit. "Keep it in your shoe" as Marilyn would say. Constant hard work and submission is what makes a Woman of Valor, oh and knowing when to keep quiet. In that message, female members of the congregation were simultaneously robbed of all agency while also being told that everything is our responsibility and in our control.

When I was a YASPer this tape was played to all the girls (I was also required to listen to this tape at the direction of my "shepherd" back home in San Diego). Similar to the way sex-ed is taught, boys and girls were separated. The girls were corralled into a room and sat around diligently taking notes and silently exchanging guilty looks. Who knows what the boys were doing... probably playing basketball, eating ice cream at Yottie's or goofing off at the Amphitheater. They definitely weren't being taught about controlling their spirits or their hands, that's for sure! Funny enough though, the boys knew the thesis of GTIO even if they never were forced to listen to it: whatever happens, it's the girl's fault.

So now, as an *almost* 30 year old woman who's *almost* mentally recovered from 20 years of mind control, I like to imagine that Girls Turn It Off is in reference to all of us women collectively turning off that f*cked up tape and Marilyn's controlling voice in our heads!

Date: March 08, 2020 03:29AM

C H A N G E D

The psychological damage done to an entire generation of young women is staggering, and this perpetrated by a women who violated all the rules in her own playbook and slept her way to the top of the food chain.

Projection makes perception.  After seeing what she had done herself, she wanted to guarantee her position by undermining any competition that might utilize the same techniques she used.

Do as I say--not as I have done.

Date: March 08, 2020 06:00AM

kBOY wrote:
Projection makes perception. After seeing what she had done herself, she wanted to guarantee her position by undermining any competition that might utilize the same techniques she used.

I suspect she had her eyes set on John and the assets he had accumulated through the years.

A post from January of 2014 by Invisible, claiming John and Marilyn were married months before John told the fellowship they were "beginning" a relationship:

Posted by: Invisible ()
Date: January 11, 2014 05:05PM

John and Martha Stevens were divorced in October of 1980 .

Around March of 1981 John and Marilyn were privately and secretly married and a small reception was held secretly at one of the other houses John owned, where about 20 guests or so were invited to attend the reception..

We, the two of us were invited to attend their wedding reception, on the same day of the reception. When called by those holding the reception who were inviting us to attend, we were told not to tell any one that John & Marilyn had married or about the reception that was held.

We were personally surprised ourselves - to learn through this invitation to attend this reception that John and Marilyn had gotten married, earlier that day.

John and Marilyn were already secretly married - when John many months later announced from the pulpit, that he and Marilyn were considering, " beginning " a relationship with one another, and then John after some time, next announced that he and Marilyn had become engaged and then not too long after this, John lastly announced to the congregation the date that they were going to be married - inviting all of the members from all the churches to attend their wedding at the Church Of His Holy Presence in Anaheim.

John and Marilyn, were already married for many, many months - prior to the wedding ceremony held at the Church of His Holy Presence in Anaheim, Ca.

To me the real point here is - that people put on a show - in order to make you believe what they want you to think and believe.

Many years later, It crossed my mind that the reception " itself" could have been another show they were putting on -possibly putting on - for just a few of those, who were invited to the reception. Why would some one invite you to a reception without inviting you to the wedding? Why would people marry in secret and put on a show to make every one think - they were just getting married -- when they were already married?

In my opinion there are a few lessons to learn from this experience - and just one, of those lessons is - what you see taking place - may not always be - what is really taking place.

Date: March 08, 2020 07:33AM

A bit off-subject, but lately I have been getting quite a few cruise line brochures in the mail. I've never been on a cruise before, and even though I am tempted to try one out at this point in my life, I'm getting a "check" on it. I just sense that now is not a good time. If TLWF still existed, I might have considered submitting it to the shepherding structure. even though it could take up to five years to get a response. Anyway, I'm probably going to make this decision on my own, and hope it is the right one.
/s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 07:34AM by changedagain.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: March 08, 2020 07:35AM

I agree with Invisible's, kBOY's and Changed's perspectives regarding Marilyn. John and Marilyn's public wedding took place at Church of His Holy Presence in Anaheim on October 4th, 1980. However, public records show that they were legally married on September 8th of 1980. Could that have been the private ceremony that Invisible attended? Or was there a previous private "spiritual" ceremony? It was a moot point by then. They had been having an affair for years, according to many people close to the situation. They tricked people into believing that their relationship was spiritual. They tricked people into believing that they were attending a real wedding, not a "show" All of it was a deceitful mockery of people's trust.

Date: March 08, 2020 08:40PM

There are still those JRS-hardliners who will continue to point out the magic of the message, completely discounting the veracity of these piccadillos, and never admit they have been played.

Add to that, a message that was simply smoke & mirrors, which gladly took their $$$, and continued a charade which spanned well over half a century.

The only prophesy that did come to pass was that if The Walk/TLW was not of GOD it would be taken down--something that took far too long and injured too many.

Date: March 09, 2020 12:41AM

kBOY Wrote:

> Add to that, a message that was simply smoke &
> mirrors, which gladly took their $$$, and
> continued a charade which spanned well over half a
> century.

It seems as though at least a few of the leaders want to continue the 'charade,' but are meeting more resistance then they expected. It's a major reason for the existence of this forum and the FB groups--by sharing experiences we can inform one another of the manipulative/coercive tactics employed to keep the 'upward flow' going, and severely weaken their future efforts. The money taken from the faithful 'over half a century' is likely well protected...or so it seems.
Much respect to those who have come forward here and on FB to speak their mind through the years. You certainly couldn't do that in the cult, unless you (and often your family) were prepared to be ground into near oblivion.

Date: March 09, 2020 12:43AM

Post from January 2019:

Posted by: pressingonbyHisgrace
Date: January 03, 2019 01:48PM

To Paleface:

""The feeling of "not measuring up" in the LW is strong, even today with the current word. It took me a bit of time to shake all of that off. With prayer and seeking Him, the Lord convinced me that He loved me even with my flaws and it was OK. All OK.

Do you remember the phrase "You're killing John" ? This was said to people who were not toe-ing the line correctly, in the late 70's and early 80's. The responsibility of God not moving John into resurrection life was laid upon the congregation. We were told (mostly by MH) that we weren't praying hard enough or long enough. We needed to fast more. We weren't doing all-night prayer meetings enough. Etc. etc. And when John finally died....guess who's fault it was for him passing away? You guessed it. Many of us carried a sense of guilt for John's death for many years afterwards. It didn't help with MH saying stuff like "I don't need you. I have to move fast to get John back.". We were again blamed, this time for not bringing John back. Guilt - all the way around.""

Paleface: I'm certain I repressed that memory (until now) due to the sheer basis of its cruelty and ludicrousness, but it is what caused me to finally leave. I remember M kept telling us to 'get rid of our self-condemnation' and, not surprisingly it was the first thing that left when I left!

That witch would come to Anaheim and beat the sheep, when she wasn't blatantly flirting from the podium with Gary and others.

And at South Gate at a long service where we were all expected to stand the entire length of a real 'rager', (remember those drawn-out all-niters)? I was 6 months pregnant at the time, so from time to time I would lean on a seat armrest, until Gary looked over at me and shot a scornful glance with an "I've lost patience with you" sigh over at me. Some sick, sick puppies there, including those of us who swallowed this stuff, under the guise of 'submission'.

I'm glad I left when I did, I'm thankful to have found this site, but moreover so thankful for a loving Savior who never rejected me and caused me to live once again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.