Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: December 03, 2019 02:40AM

'I Alone Have Done His Will'
-Senior Pastor, Apostolic Father and Chancellor

(a living word from 'The Meek Will Inherit the Earth' series)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Onion ()
Date: December 03, 2019 03:24AM

JesusJesusJesus - I almost fell off my chair when I read what you wrote about G&M's dishwasher! hahahahaha Good one!

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: December 03, 2019 05:09AM

Since it has only been slightly over a year since the implosion of TLWF really started, this suggestion may still be a little soon for many. I want to suggest rethinking the relationships many of us have had with those who left TLWF prior to a year ago. Whether it was 10, 20, or 30 years ago, at some point, we faced situations that our integrity would no longer allow us to ignore certain situations and we could no longer be a part of TLWF in good conscience. As many have stated, as soon as you disagreed with the leadership, all kinds of lies were spoken about you, so that those still in the fellowship would have nothing to do with you. There was just enough “truth” that people would swallow it, without realizing there was much more to the story. There have been a lot of great people in TLWF that have found themselves wandering in the wilderness – some for decades - still unable to connect in meaningful relationships again because of their wounds from TLWF. They didn’t suffer because of their wrongs, but because of their concern for the right and the wrongs of the leadership.

The “discernment” of TLWF is so skewed when it comes to relationships. Relationships are so vital to our well-being in this life, and when they are missing, it is very difficult to become healthy again. I would encourage ex-pats to re-establish relationships they felt comfortable with – before the input of the leadership. As the skirt continues to be lifted and more lies are being exposed, the lies about those who have been gone for many years also needs to be exposed and re-examined. There are members of the Father’s family wandering in dry places that He cares deeply about. You may be the only one that can reach them, because you were in the trenches together and they trust you.

Just because others have done the wrong thing, doesn’t mean we can’t do the right thing. For those who have found a measure of healing, there can be a genuine flow of restoration to those who are struggling. What some have meant for harm, God can use for our good. Just like war buddies, you can’t go through this level of conflict without deep bonds being formed. We were told bonds were bad – except with the leadership. I’ve come to appreciate that it takes 40 years to form a 40-year relationship. Most of us don’t have that kind of time left to start over again. I’m believing to see our relationships redeemed, as well as still having our eyes wide open with lessons learned.

Date: December 03, 2019 05:30AM

Well said, Larry.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: December 03, 2019 05:34AM

C H A N G E D

'I Alone Have Done His Will'
-Senior Pastor, Apostolic Father and Chancellor

(a living word from 'The Meek Will Inherit the Earth' series)

H I L A R I O U S. An alternate title (and possibly more accurate given the circumstances) might be "The Meek Will Inherit Whatever is Left After I Scorched the Earth" series.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: December 03, 2019 06:02AM

L A R R Y b

Welcome back, and very wise council indeed.

Relationships (good ones) are foundational to our HAPPINESS. Since most of us in the 'bleacher crowd' did all the heavy lifting together over the decades, we have earned the right to sit around and 'talk story' until we all fall off our chairs in laughter and remember who it was who REALLY had our back--as opposed to those who might have STABBED us in the back.

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: December 03, 2019 06:12AM

Larry - Thank you for your post and I heartily agree. In fact, I have been experiencing a restoration of relationships all during this past year and the level seems to be amped up right now. People I wanted to find and have even tried really hard to find and could not, have somehow contacted me and it continues to be very amazing.

We are living in an exciting time as we leave our oppressive TLWF experiences in the dust.

I hope it happens more. I would love to talk to anyone who was in the walk at whatever time and whatever the circumstances were behind their departure.

Larry - if you (or anyone else) has anyone in mind that your burdened for that would benefit from one of us reaching out, please let me or anyone else know with a private message if you don't want to put their name out on the forum.

Posted by: Northerngate ()
Date: December 03, 2019 07:25AM

Reepicheep said:
>
> I'm not sure what the combination of factors is
> that makes TLWF one of the most difficult groups
> to leave. It undoubtedly has something to do with
> the God-like status of John Robert Stevens.

My heart was saddened that my landlord came into that group when he was nineteen. He said he went to a Billy Graham crusade and was looking for answers. Evidently, JRS snatched him up right after that.
I think my landlord was asked to do things that caused guilt and over time there was a tipping point he couldn’t come back from.

I think he was a recruiter but I don’t know that for sure.

I wonder if these leaders will just pick up again where they left off and continue to hurt people? It makes me mad as hell!!

Date: December 03, 2019 08:26AM

northerngate:
My heart was saddened that my landlord came into that group when he was nineteen. He said he went to a Billy Graham crusade and was looking for answers. Evidently, JRS snatched him up right after that.
I think my landlord was asked to do things that caused guilt and over time there was a tipping point he couldn’t come back from.

I think he was a recruiter but I don’t know that for sure.

I wonder if these leaders will just pick up again where they left off and continue to hurt people? It makes me mad as hell!!

I recall your landlord being very personable and approachable during the time period I was in TLWF (21 years). But I suspect he was extremely loyal to top leadership (an admirable quality if the leaders deserved it), and probably had to break off relationships that meant a lot to him. I know I did that in the 80's, and I still regret it. However, I did go back (after finally leaving TLWF), and apologized to a few key families that I became callous to when they were not following "the word." In retrospect, they had the good sense to recognize (much earlier than me) that we were involved in a cult, and headed for the exit. Now, after much reflection, I consider the former leaders sociopaths--feigning concern for members of the fellowship, all the while manipulating them for their own personal interests. I doubt your landlord perceives them this way, which unfortunately allows them access to continue unduly influencing his life. And it is, and should be, his life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 08:29AM by changedagain.

Posted by: Northerngate ()
Date: December 03, 2019 10:06AM

Changedagain
Thank you for responding. Yes, I heard remnants of conversation indicating that relationships had been severed. I didn’t think of my landlord as a sociopath, but I thought of E.F. As a sociopath. Something about him seemed dangerous. Or at least that’s what he wanted people to think. That is who was leading my landlord. I think...

I guess I want you to know why I care. My dad was like a cult leader. He made my mother sever relationships with her family. She wasn’t allowed to have friends. My friends were limited. We didn’t have television so we didn’t know what was happening in the world. I grew up as one of the loneliest girls on the planet and at sixty I’m still trying to figure out how to have a decent relationship. I am so thankful for you all being willing to honestly dig through what must be heart wrenching at times.
I’m reading the book Cults Inside Out and I’m blown away by the similarities my dad has to a cult leader (he was an independent Baptist preacher, divorced and married 6 times)
I had thanksgiving with my dad but it was as empty as all get out! Not much relationship to hang onto.

Technology has forever changed the ability of sociopathic leaders to effectively conceal or withhold information, and many people have ultimately left cults as a direct result of this reality.

Thanks again for letting me speak. For some reason I feel like I’m butting in and I don’t want to go where I shouldn’t.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.