Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: November 14, 2019 01:36AM

Posted by: NancyB
Date: November 13, 2019 10:10AM

In those days many of us on this forum were young or only teenagers. We were not expected in normal society to know about this crap and how to protect ourselves, yet, we saw and heard things that cognitively we could not understand at the time.

These shepherds we were told to trust and be obedient without question is just sickening. Yes, Rick grew up in a lousy environment and not shepherd stopped it. I have to wonder who all taught Rick the "tricks of trade"? Very sad state of affairs that only tips the iceberg of the whys and hows of the cover ups.

So much for "revelation" from the "men of God." and to think the very same shepherds gave directions for kingdom schools and designated relationships.

Yes, some were children, teenagers or young adults when these abuses took place. If we heard rumors of wrongdoing, we were told (even by JRS himself) that it was a lie. I learned much later that it was "the apostle" who was lying. People who had been abused by ministries and spoke up were summarily ostracized and labeled as persecutors of "The Kingdom". Hideous people!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: November 14, 2019 01:39AM

NancyB,

Here's a link to the great website you quoted.

[defendinnocence.org]

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: November 14, 2019 02:39AM

Reep wrote:
Yes, some were children, teenagers or young adults when these abuses took place. If we heard rumors of wrongdoing, we were told (even by JRS himself) that it was a lie. I learned much later that it was "the apostle" who was lying. People who had been abused by ministries and spoke up were summarily ostracized and labeled as persecutors of "The Kingdom". Hideous people!

The ease by which revered authority figures within TLWF/Walk could routinely lie to the people through the years, creating false realities that so many of us got swept up into, still flabbergasts me. It's apparent that Gary is still doing this...now framing his departure from TLWF as a transition to a higher calling. No time to be accountable for past misdeeds--too important for that. Plus, it was all lies anyway. /s
#InternationalMinistry
#MovingForward

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: November 14, 2019 03:54AM

Changedagain - Perhaps #AnotherNewDay #NewVictimPool

Thank you, Typer. I remember JRS trying to get Wayne married off. He did the same thing with others who were homosexual, like Tony Flores (who was a serial rapist/molester.) He did this with Mike Wood of the Colorado church, who wasn't homosexual but was known to be a serial pedophile/rapist until his death by suicide.

Thank you, NancyB, for the info on the case in Virginia. California already allows that type of allegation - but I don't think it extends to molestation by church members offsite. That will be interesting.

Changed - Damn those false realities. The authority figures were masters at creating backstories and making so many people believe them and live in them.

I continue to be very grateful for this forum and everyone's input. The truth will prevail by continuing to liberate people from the unthinkable.

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: November 14, 2019 04:35AM

Reepicheep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NancyB,
>
> Here's a link to the great website you quoted.
>
> [defendinnocence.org]

thanks Reep. I was so sure I pasted it. Come to think of it the bug man was at a the door. good save!

So, where do we go from here? G and R can't run and hide for too long. How corrupt G is. He had to have known the truth about so may cover- ups for decades. No question about it, especially since he claims the mantle passing. I do believe that means that he is responsible for allowing shit before Shiloh.

Date: November 14, 2019 04:45AM

Changed, "false realities" indeed!
"Higher calling"? What does that mean? Leave babies and wounded behind to greener pastures?

Onion Wrote: Date: November 14, 2019 03:54AM
-------------------------------------------------------
> Changedagain - Perhaps #AnotherNewDay
> #NewVictimPool
>
> Thank you, Typer. I remember JRS trying to get
> Wayne married off. He did the same thing with
> others who were homosexual, like Tony Flores (who
> was a serial rapist/molester.) He did this with
> Mike Wood of the Colorado church, who wasn't
> homosexual but was known to be a serial
> pedophile/rapist until his death by suicide.
>
> Thank you, NancyB, for the info on the case in
> Virginia. California already allows that type of
> allegation - but I don't think it extends to
> molestation by church members offsite. That will
> be interesting.
>
Onion, Virginia is a good start. The state of Washington has some interesting things going on as well to hold more people responsible for not reporting. I think that the more people keep talking about cover-ups , negligence, corruption in churches the better the law changes will be.

Date: November 14, 2019 05:10AM

Here is more hopeful news as we address only one of the covered up crimes, the rampant sexual abuse, in the Church of the Living Word.

One of the first of many sexual abuse lawsuits expected under a new California law targets Modesto megachurch NEWSBOB ALLEN | OCTOBER 22, 2019

[baptistnews.com]

Assembly Bill 218
Oct. 13,2018 Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Assembly Bill 218, giving victims of childhood sexual abuse either until age 40 or five years from discovery of the abuse to file civil lawsuits.

“This historic state law will make California safer for thousands of families,” said her attorney, Joseph C. George, “but only if victims, witnesses and whistleblowers in schools, camps, churches and day care centers do as Tracy’s doing — find the strength to pick up the phone and call a source of help, be it a therapist, the police, or an attorney.”
“Abuse of innocent kids and vulnerable adults can happen anywhere,” the attorney said. “But it’s often more egregious at these personality-driven mega-churches where there’s an unhealthy degree of reverence for the founders or pastors and either weak or non-existent boards or supervisors.”
"NEWSBOB ALLEN | OCTOBER 22, 2019

A survivor of childhood sexual abuse is suing a California church .... one of the first of many lawsuits expected to be filed under a new law greatly extending the statute of limitations for child sexual abuse claims.

...while attending the high school youth group at First Baptist Church in Modesto in the mid-1970s.

Two weeks ago Epler could not have filed the lawsuit, because she waited too long to disclose abuse that she says started when she was 17. That changed with the stroke of a pen Oct. 13, when Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Assembly Bill 218, giving victims of childhood sexual abuse either until age 40 or five years from discovery of the abuse to file civil lawsuits.

The previous limit had been 26, or within three years after a survivor discovers that psychological injury or illness experienced in adulthood was caused by abuse suffered in childhood. The bill also includes a three-year “lookback” window allowing victims of any age to bring claims that would otherwise be barred by statutes of limitation.

“This historic state law will make California safer for thousands of families,” said her attorney, Joseph C. George, “but only if victims, witnesses and whistleblowers in schools, camps, churches and day care centers do as Tracy’s doing — find the strength to pick up the phone and call a source of help, be it a therapist, the police, or an attorney.”

"... church leaders removed a staff member who was overseeing about 200 junior high age young people after learning of her abuse in 1977, but instructed her not to tell her parents or any else about the abuse."

"Rather than taking disciplinary action such as reporting the allegations to the police, Epler says the congregation “praised and glorified” her abuser and promoted his transfer to become the minister of youth education at Peaceful Valley Church of God in Sonora, California, in 1978."

..." interview that he would begin grooming girls at a younger age.

“He wouldn’t have sex with them, really, until they were late 17 or early 18 so he could say that it was a consensual thing, because they were of age,” Berryhill said.

“It was almost like a cult,” she said. “He had everybody under his spell, that he went after, because he worked on them. He groomed them for two or three years.”

Scottsdale Police Department ... report to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office detailing a dozen allegations of sexual misconduct against Hughey during the 1980s and 1990s, while he was working as a youth pastor at Scottsdale Bible Church."

Also quoting from the link above from Modesto,doesn't the statement right below seem all to familiar with what is now being exposed in TLWF?

"Epler’s lawsuit claims that the church worker “physically perpetrated acts of childhood sexual abuse” upon her when she was a minor. It alleges that leaders “made a concerted effort to hide evidence relating to childhood sexual assault” by engaging in a “cover up” as defined by California law."

“Abuse of innocent kids and vulnerable adults can happen anywhere,” the attorney said. “But it’s often more egregious at these personality-driven mega-churches where there’s an unhealthy degree of reverence for the founders or pastors and either weak or non-existent boards or supervisors.”

[baptistnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 05:17AM by NancyB.

Date: November 14, 2019 07:01AM

A common theme among us baby-boomers of the walk was that we donated to a promised retirement home for our aging population. Those designated funds were else where. I contend there was FRAUD, tho' I am not a lawyer.

In my snarky way I have to question what "the School of Prophets of profits" really taught?

Does any one know what funds the auction money will go into? Who is legally managing that?

Fraud Thriving In U.S. Churches, But You Wouldn't Know It
Walter Pavlo
[www.forbes.com]

So, does any one know of any investigations looking into the fraud we suspect that went on in the church of the Living Word under JRS , Marilyn and Gary Hargrve? I mean, really, how could they have amassed such wealth and luxurious life styles while the people scarified so much?

I've done some research on non-profit fraud. Apparently there are seminars where pastors can go to learn about church security. Fraud and embezzlement by beloved church embers are all too often "forgiven" Maybe a pastor or church secretary helped a church member who knows they steal- but it would n't seem 'Christian' to rat out the pastor.

I wonder in our case if 'blackmail' kept mouths shuts??? Of course we do know that no volunteer nor under paid employee was ever given all the information. (what a lousy position to be put in.)

Forbes
The Washington Post's investigation on fraud into nonprofit organizations revealed that incidents are either not reported at all or reported but not directed to authorities ... bad news, like "theft," does not sit well with contributors. "The reason you did not see any churches on the list is because churches are not required to do an annual report." What?!"

Sizemore pointed me to a line in the tax code:

"Every organization exempt from federal income tax under IRS 501(a) must file an annual information return except: 1) A church .... "
[www.forbes.com]

"FBI was asked to participate in a presentation for church leadership... The local sheriff's department, the federal government's Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms and Sizemore presented on issues facing churches including lone gunman scenarios, theft protection and procedures for handling cash donations.

Over 60 church leaders... questions, only one topic was brought up by the attendees: concern over the lone gunman. The audience had been assured that the chances of such a tragedy playing out would be "remarkably slim, but better to be prepared." The pastors showed more concern over the unlikely scenario of gun violence over the high likelihood of fraud within their own churches.

A few posts back Onion used the word "backstory". What back story with 'slim possibilities' have been used in our church/cult?

My question is:' are they stupid? or trying to distract away from their dirty little secrets'? Talk about ChangedAgain's 'false realities' in the walk.
What and how did TLWF get by with shuffling funds and no one questioned it?

( OK, so we know if anyone questioned anything you were branded as a demon with a biblical name and ostracized.) I don't think it is too late for people who donated, as an example, to write the IRS about misuse of funds, do you?
We the people will not get anything back. We won't get a retirement home, either.

Some lawyers might make a tidy sum. I really don't want Gary Hargrave going to his "higher Calling" getting away scott-free and bilking more people. Do you? Sure, he is innocent until proven guilty - but has he laid out the books and records to prove his innocence to the people? Have we not asked?

Basically the IRS can't storm a church or creepy pastor's home to look for documents re the church. WOW! Is that a crime waiting to happen or what?

"Tax Inquiries and Examinations of Churches
Congress has imposed special limitations, found in section 7611 of the Internal Revenue Code, on how and when the IRS may conduct civil tax inquiries and examinations of churches.
-The IRS may begin a church tax inquiry only if an appropriate high-level Treasury official reasonably believes, on the basis of facts and circumstances recorded in writing, that an organization claiming to be a church or convention or association of churches may not qualify for exemption, may be carrying on an unrelated trade or business (within the meaning of IRC § 513), may otherwise be engaged in taxable activities or may have entered into an IRC § 4958 excess benefit transaction with a disqualified person."

Here the link to IRS special rules for churches if anyone is interested in reading.

[www.irs.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 07:03AM by NancyB.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: November 14, 2019 07:34AM

NancyB wrote:
I encourage everyone who ever had time in the walk to please go seek professional counseling. There are so many lies to sort out that have and will continue to affect your life and relationships - your ability to maybe even get out of bed sometimes.

Yes. And, BTW, a childhood friend recently published a book about his lifelong bout with panic disorder and PTSD. Much of his behavior that he describes, and struggles he's faced in not succumbing to his illness, is very similar to what many of us have gone through. He details what he has done, involving professional counseling (among other things), that has proven to be effective. Here is a link:

[www.amazon.com]

p.s. I have no financial connection to him--just thought his work was enlightening on this subject. A worthy read.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: November 14, 2019 07:40AM

I’ve read the book Changed posted. It is an excellent read.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.