Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: dbc ()
Date: October 24, 2019 12:52PM

My daughter was and is in the same situation as you. you - in amazingly clear English - have articulated the situation perfectly. Thank you for your contribution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2019 12:57PM by dbc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: typer ()
Date: October 24, 2019 11:01PM

To Denise Waller Laughlin:

My wife came from Iowa to work in the word work in 1976 after she graduated from High School. JRS talked to her and assigned her to the Blix House and then to the Living Word Building in shipping and printing. She had saved $400 which lasted a year. She would like to thank you for making meals at the Living Word Building, which was the only meal she got during the week and nothing on the weekends. You were a life saver for her.

Date: October 24, 2019 11:29PM

After my wife's money ran out, she got a job at Singer Sewing company in Panorama City for I think $1.35 / hour (min. wage) and still worked full time at LWB in printing. I worked at the saw mill in Iowa and Shiloh for $80/month from June 1976 to June 1977(also got room and board). My wife and I got engaged by letter; and JRS sent me to LA in June 1977 to LWB to work in the printing. That is where I got to experience the LW Building's wonderful lunches. Fine Line was then created and moved a couple blocks from the LWB, and my wife and I kept going to the LBW for lunches. I think Fine Line paid us $40 a week. The lunches kept us going and were wonderful. We both lived communally, and rode our bikes to work every day from North Hollywood when we got married. The wonderful people like the wallers making lunches were the ones that helped the poor; never anyone in leadership. My wife doesn't ever remember anyone offering her any food during the time she worked at the Blix house.

My wife thinks it might have been Charles' Beach and John Cockas's idea to provide full-time workers lunch at the LWB but not sure. If that is true, then there were some leaders that did care for our souls.

Date: October 24, 2019 11:37PM

My wife asked me to convey we are thankful the Lord was and is always taking care of the details of our lives.

Dire circumstances and crap head people don't and can't define who we are.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: October 25, 2019 12:02AM

typer wrote:

After my wife's money ran out, she got a job at Singer Sewing company in Panorama City for I think $1.35 / hour (min. wage) and still worked full time at LWB in printing. I worked at the saw mill in Iowa and Shiloh for $80/month from June 1976 to June 1977(also got room and board). My wife and I got engaged by letter; and JRS sent me to LA in June 1977 to LWB to work in the printing. That is where I got to experience the LW Building's wonderful lunches. Fine Line was then created and moved a couple blocks from the LWB, and my wife and I kept going to the LBW for lunches. I think Fine Line paid us $40 a week. The lunches kept us going and were wonderful. We both lived communally, and rode our bikes to work every day from North Hollywood when we got married. The wonderful people like the wallers making lunches were the ones that helped the poor; never anyone in leadership. My wife doesn't ever remember anyone offering her any food during the time she worked at the Blix house.

My wife thinks it might have been Charles' Beach and John Cockas's idea to provide full-time workers lunch at the LWB but not sure. If that is true, then there were some leaders that did care for our souls.

This post seems to encapsulate everything within Walk/TLWF culture. Christ was not be found in leadership, but in the dedicated 'common people,' who when seeing a need, took care of it to the best of their ability--without fanfare. Meanwhile, the leaders either were oblivious to the suffering of those down the food chain or couldn't care less. That said, many of them sure could bring an 'AWESOME' living word. /s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2019 12:03AM by changedagain.

Posted by: TheJewel ()
Date: October 25, 2019 12:13AM

typer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the Marianne being refered to is Marianne
> Nagy. She was my wife's maid of honor when we were
> married by David Cokas in the Valley on Sept. 25,
> 1978. My wife was at Blix for a short time in
> 1976-77; then we both worked at FineLine graphics
> from early 1977 to about the end of 1978. I
> typeset this weeks and she worked in the bindery.
> Marrianne also worked at FineLine Graphics. She
> died of ovarian cancer I believe in the mid-1980s.
> The Martha being referred to that was deaf was a
> friend of Marianne's. They went to a school
> together for the deaf when they were young. Her
> last name I believe was McGlumphy. Her dad knew my
> dad in Libby Montana in the late 1950s and early
> 1960s. I believe Martha married Bill Arnold's son
> sometime in the late 1970s.
>
> I new the older Waller's in Campbell from late
> 1972-1976; a wonderful couple.

What ever happened to Billy Joe Arnold? I am guessing this is the son you referred to above. I was a friend of his for a while when he was in San Diego. Just curious. He was related to JRS in some way, I think.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: October 25, 2019 12:16AM

Posted by: typer
Date: October 24, 2019 09:01AM

My wife came from Iowa to work in the word work in 1976 after she graduated from High School. JRS talked to her and assigned her to the Blix House and then to the Living Word Building in shipping and printing. She had saved $400 which lasted a year. She would like to thank you for making meals at the Living Word Building, which was the only meal she got during the week and nothing on the weekends. You were a life saver for her.

OMG! How did this happen so often and no leader noticed? Thank God for people like Charles Beach and John Cokas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2019 12:26AM by Reepicheep.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: October 25, 2019 02:51AM

As has been stated many times, the relationships that mattered in TLW were not with 'christ-in-the-flesh' leadership, but with our fellow laborers who bore the heat in the kitchen together, shook off sawdust at the end of the day, and maybe threw a couple of tomatoes for good measure.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: October 25, 2019 03:10AM

kBOY Wrote:
> As has been stated many times, the relationships
> that mattered in TLW were not with
> 'christ-in-the-flesh' leadership, but with our
> fellow laborers who bore the heat in the kitchen
> together, shook off sawdust at the end of the day,
> and maybe threw a couple of tomatoes for good
> measure.

True

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: October 25, 2019 06:01AM

changedagain Wrote:
kBOY Wrote:

> As has been stated many times, the relationships
> that mattered in TLW were not with
> 'christ-in-the-flesh' leadership, but with our
> fellow laborers who bore the heat in the kitchen
> together, shook off sawdust at the end of the day,
> and maybe threw a couple of tomatoes for good
> measure.

True

Yes, kBOY and Changed, those are the good memories. <3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.