Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Onion ()
Date: October 16, 2019 01:21PM

Rick Holbrook probably wired everywhere at Shiloh too. We should ask the folks back there to see if it is found during the demo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: October 17, 2019 02:22AM

Onion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know of several who covered for Rick: Marilyn,
> Gary, Scott, Steve - who am I missing?
>
> Most of the time (IMHO), attention was given to
> Rick's four marriages preceded by divorce so that
> there could be adequate cover for his sexual
> assaults of women and young girls. G&M would call
> for help with the congregation in turmoil but
> would hide the extremes his conduct was taking.

True

Date: October 17, 2019 02:24AM

A post by Saw enough from October of 2013:

Posted by: Saw enough ()
Date: October 24, 2013 04:02PM

I have heard many longtime members say, "Things are really different now."

I have not heard any of them say that Gary & Marilyn have brought messages from the pulpit apologizing for all the hell they inflicted on people as they were working through their anger issues and coming to grips with where they wanted to take the fellowship after John's death.

What seems to be different is that Gary got a theology degree from a seminary, and many of his messages today are more in line with what was once called traditional Christianity. Because John expounded the Scriptures well, many of the fundamental principles of Christianity are reflected in the messages Gary brings.

What has not changed is the hierarchical structure of the group and the destructive vindictiveness that can be turned against people at a moment's notice. The outbursts of the Larsons in San Diego are one example of this. Other women -- often pastors wives -- who called themselves "Marilyn's women" sought to imitate her ruthlessness and lack of "sympathy" by ripping into those who just didn't get with the program.

Shepherds are still rewarded with titles or influence based on the way they are perceived as being the most loyal -- or in some cases ruthless -- promoters of Gary & Marilyn's authority.

The other thing that has changed is the marketing of the church to appear less cultish, but marketing alone can't remove the stench of intrigue, coverup, lack of transparency and manipulative relationships.

There are still many young people in the group and perhaps there's been a decision to take away the decades old policy of severely scrutinizing every potential marriage relationship because they may have realized that one of the biggest drives most of the remaining young people have is to find a mate. Better to get them married in the church than wander out into "the world" and find someone who might look at this 60-year-old cult and go, "This is too weird." But if all their "friends" weren't in the church and it wasn't such a supportive and sheltered echo chamber, or if they had experienced much life apart from the group, many of them wouldn't feel compelled to stay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2019 02:24AM by changedagain.

Posted by: Ohman? ()
Date: October 17, 2019 06:42AM

Reepicheep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Link to Ohman's post:
>
> [forum.culteducation.com]

Thanks Reep

Date: October 17, 2019 12:27PM

I only knew Rob from the stories his brother would tell me about him. Sounds like a great guy who had the misfortune of getting tangled up in the machinations of you know who.
RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2019 12:28PM by changedagain.

Date: October 18, 2019 05:57AM

Rob was a great kid. The Blix House was under remodel while JRS was sick, and Rob spent a good part of his time down at my and Dan's house. He did his morning showers there and often slept there. Rob was madly in love with a German Shorthair Pointer puppy we had. He would spend a lot of time taking care of her. He was excellent with "Scarlett" the sweet dog. It was always wonderful to hear what a success he became. His was a life cut far too short.

Date: October 18, 2019 06:40AM

Thanks for sharing that.

Date: October 18, 2019 09:27AM

Looking back on the four names I could identify as people who actively participated in covering up Rick's sexual abuses, each of them also committed sexual abuses. So I've been told...

Date: October 18, 2019 10:58PM

Onion Wrote:

> Most of the time (IMHO), attention was given to
> Rick's four marriages preceded by divorce so that
> there could be adequate cover for his sexual
> assaults of women and young girls. G&M would call
> for help with the congregation in turmoil but
> would hide the extremes his conduct was taking.

I do recall in a 'living word' message the congregation being warned not to allow any of what info surfaces shake them from their "revelation." I'm still not exactly sure what that means. Perhaps that people in the fellowship may no longer see him as a "man of God," assuming they ever did?
#KingDavid

Date: October 18, 2019 11:04PM

Date: April 24, 2019 02:28PM

Rick Holbrook was the President of CHHP at one time (when it closed down and got paid by the city under eminent domain). I believe he stayed on the Board after it changed to HFM but not as President.

So Rick was president of the Church of His Holy Presence, around the time the church was purchased by the city.
He may have remained on the Board after the church subsequently changed its name to Hargrave Family Ministries.

(Nothing to see here)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.