Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: CARe ()
Date: October 04, 2019 04:58PM

FYI. The 3 buildings at Shiloh will be torn down unless another entity comes up with an offer to purchase in the next 2 weeks. It will be made available to the Amish to salvage any materials they can reuse or repurpose but ultimately will be removed. This was announced to the remaining congregation last Saturday night. I made sure to fact check and believe it to be true.

To clarify, Demolition is NOT starting in 2 weeks. If no entity comes up with a proposal to rent/lease the buildings in 2 weeks the next step will be demolition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: October 04, 2019 08:12PM

Posted by: CARe
Date: October 04, 2019 02:58AM

"FYI. The 3 buildings at Shiloh will be torn down unless another entity comes up with an offer to purchase in the next 2 weeks. It will be made available to the Amish to salvage any materials they can reuse or repurpose but ultimately will be removed. This was announced to the remaining congregation last Saturday night. I made sure to fact check and believe it to be true."

To clarify, Demolition is NOT starting in 2 weeks. If no entity comes up with a proposal to rent/lease the buildings in 2 weeks the next step will be demolition.

Thanks for the info and clarification, CARe. It will be interesting to see the actual timeline play out. I assume that it will be either before or after winter, not during.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2019 08:13PM by Reepicheep.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: October 05, 2019 12:52AM

CARe Wrote:

> To clarify, Demolition is NOT starting in 2 weeks.
> If no entity comes up with a proposal to
> rent/lease the buildings in 2 weeks the next step
> will be demolition.

Do you know whether any other entity has expressed an interest?

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: October 05, 2019 01:28AM

CARe - Thank you for the clarification.

I have a feeling other options haven't been explored very well since the annexation to the City seemed to be viable. I hate to see aspects of the buildings lost (commercial kitchen, the nicely finished apartments). There was enough money in the trust late last year to remodel the building to be senior housing. God forbid any of the former leaders would have shown good faith.

At the beginning of last year, I heard the trust held $4-7MM. I recently heard that the Trust only had $150,000. The information as to both amounts was third hand and not independently confirmed.

I wonder how much went to severance pay for people terminated for cause (Scott, Rick) or who "stepped down" (Gary). I hope someday we will learn accurate facts.

Date: October 05, 2019 02:09AM

Onion wrote:
I wonder how much went to severance pay for people terminated for cause (Scott, Rick) or who "stepped down" (Gary). I hope someday we will learn accurate facts.

Yes, me too. There's obviously been a concerted effort to conceal these financial matters--and it's been effective (so far).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 02:10AM by changedagain.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: October 05, 2019 09:03AM

As difficult as it may be to 'follow the $$$', is still more evidence of the complete lack of integrity all the way to the top of TLW leadership.

It clarifies the real meaning of the 'upward flow', and the tragic sacrifice of so many who funded the effort with their lives for decades.

Date: October 05, 2019 09:31AM

kBOY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As difficult as it may be to 'follow the $$$', is
> still more evidence of the complete lack of
> integrity all the way to the top of TLW
> leadership.

True, kBOY
This was posted a year ago:

Posted by: that little red flag ()
Date: October 05, 2018 03:08PM

Some people reading and posting here may have left before much of this was was discussed, exposed, happening, etc. Or, may not be aware that the actions of shepherds abusing sheep, has been going on since the days of JRS, and has somehow become acceptable in the Living Word culture.

But in case there is any confusion regarding the enabling referred to, it applies to the leaders (Gary and Marilyn Hargrave), and the leadership (also known as shepherds), knowing full-well of Rick's tendency toward, and actions of, seduction and sexual abuse, AND still condoning it enough to allow him to maintain his very large position in the leadership. All of this, while somehow turning a deaf ear to the voices, hurts, and abuses of the injured sheep.

So much for the so-called "shepherd's heart".

Posted by: JesusJesusJesus ()
Date: October 05, 2019 09:48AM

[www.kalonanews.com]

Well, looks like the land at Shiloh is going to get some use. I have such mixed feelings about the latest developments. Mostly, though, I have questions.

What happens (has happened?) to the pulpit? Chairs? Kitchen equipment? Filing cabinets? Song books? Tapes and books? Furniture from the dorm rooms and apartments?

I mean, there are a million things in the building that aren't just salvage goods. Will there be an auction? If so, where would the money go? Are the remaining congregants saving some of those things to furnish their new church building, wherever it may be? Why just let the Amish do the salvaging? Will there be public notice if/when demolition happens? I'm assuming this has as much to do with insurance costs as it does upkeep and utility costs. If so, will the amphitheater have to be taken down, too? Once the buildings are gone, will the city or county go forward with annexing the ground? If so, will the cemetery still need to be moved?

I wish I knew who is in the little group of remaining congregants. I mean, I can't say I agree with their doctrine or choices, but they were (presumably, if they were in Shiloh back in the day) near and dear to me in the past. (I did see that the main pastor's house is for sale, and I would guess that means they're leaving or have already left.) What a mess. :(

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: October 05, 2019 11:57AM

This whole thing strikes me as being similar to the cruise ship Costa Concordia that shipwrecked off the coast of Italy. The captain was one of the first off the ship. To me, this is Gary to a T. Saving himself and to hell with the sheep.

Supposedly JRS entrusted Shiloh to Gary. You’d think he would at least be helping out. But we all know he never really had a shepherd’s heart, did he?

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: October 05, 2019 12:06PM

I was hoping an update would come from the Kalona News. I checked with loved ones in Shiloh and today I was told the following (with the reminder it is second- hand):

To clarify: If the city of Kalona does not receive a valid proposal on using the buildings in 2 weeks the buildings will be demolished. I don't know when the demolition will begin. The annexation is still going forward.

There is an Amish owned company that tears down buildings and salvages any reusable building material and resells it. Many think that is the route that Shiloh intends to take.

The YMCA has built a "renaissance mud run" on the property with a climbing wall and other things (I couldn't really tell what they do, I've never done one and don't intend to). lol

Steve Rich called yesterday morning to give permission to take anything from the 1st aid room at Shiloh that could be used for the Kalona First Responders which is a 501(C)(3) organization. They will be providing Shiloh a list on their letterhead of the larger items donated to First Responders.

So the larger items like wheelchairs went into the "auction" room and the smaller things like trash cans and office supplies went into another room. In the other room are lamps, coffee makers, alarm clocks, pictures, trash cans (it appeared to be things from the dorm rooms). There are conflicting reports on what happens to the stuff in the other room. I was told that congregants will be able to purchase these items and what doesn't sell will be put up for auction. I was also told that congregants will be able to take anything they want from the other room and what's left will be put into the auction.

Carl Dean (from London ONT) is by trade in the heating/air business and has done a lot of ongoing work on Shiloh's heating/air. In looking at the original blueprints, those blueprints were not followed. The contractor, Ken Robbins, was from CA and didn't understand that in Iowa heating/air units need to be in the basement. They were put into the attic. That's the main reason there were so many problems with the heating/air. Also, there was not enough ventilation in the sanctuary and so there was a buildup of Carbon Monoxide in the sanctuary when there were 600+ people in there and it caused people to be drowsy by the time the word was being brought. It's just humorous (now) that we thought that Satan was trying to keep us from hearing the word.

Another spiritual excuse bites the dust. Thank God no one was injured by the Carbon Monoxide exposure while everyone looked to the ether for the spiritual source.

Interesting that even in the removal of all the property from inside Shiloh, it's unclear whether congregants will have to pay (again) for any property they want.

Where is Shiloh U?

JesusJesusJesus - This gives some partial answers but really more questions. If the annexation is going forward, will they be demolishing the commercial kitchen building (oh, and Rick's bar)?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.