Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: JesusJesusJesus ()
Date: August 30, 2019 09:21AM

You got an email?? I'm so jealous! :) Ok, not really. Still...

The letter did zero in on a big problem, and one which grieves me terribly. I DO feel awkward in this community. I DO get uncomfortable when I run into people who used to be like family to me. That was true when we left Shiloh several years ago, and is even more so now (in part because I have no sense of who's still "in" and who's "out.")

To be honest, if something could be done to overcome that feeling of discomfort, that would be GREAT! I am leery, though, when I read the part that says, "It would follow Scripture to have the same love and respect for each other as we do with our other neighbors and churches in the community."

Perhaps things have changed in the past ten years or so and this is no longer true, but I certainly heard it insinuated and openly preached from the pulpit over and over again that Shiloh was better/smarter/more right than the other "dead" and "religious" churches in the area. So, if people are looking now to only have "the same love and respect for each other" as they do (or, at least did) for their "other neighbors and churches in the community" - count me out!! I don't want to be humored, looked-down-upon, and smirked at behind closed doors, and that's very much what happened to other Christians (especially Protestant Christians) when I was part of the Body.

I genuinely doubt the inclusion of this wording is duplicitous on their part, though. I would guess that they are still functioning in the same mindset of being the "remnant," and perhaps aren't even aware of the implicit judgment they've had (still have?) of other churches. Maybe that's an area that this counselor could point out and work on, and which would help the healing and reconciliation process.

Just my two cents' worth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: August 30, 2019 03:40PM

J J J:

The desire for reconciliation is laudable, but the rub lies in the fact that TLW perpetrated/perpetuated just the opposite, and has not really come to grips with that fact that openly admitting it did so is obviously absent.

Physician--heal thyself first, and then do no harm.

Posted by: I_woke_up ()
Date: August 30, 2019 10:59PM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if I will receive an unsigned Happy
> Birthday email from Shiloh this year...maybe sent
> in a cluster? Not that it will have an impact,
> one way or another :)

This had me laughing out loud!

My spouse also received the email and said that they should have replied with one word “unsubscribe.” Funny thing though, we both unsubscribed from Shiloh emails years ago. Huh?! SMH. I don’t know why it surprises me that they don’t respect boundaries.

At least Shiloh didn’t sign off the email with “In Christ’s Blood.”

Date: August 31, 2019 01:15AM

An important message from the JRS 'daise', RESTORATION WITHOUT REPENTENCE, certainly has plenty of application in this scenario. Any TLW hierarchical perpetrators who think they can slide by on this one are going to see dismal results for their efforts.

You don't reassign the foxes to guard a new hen-house.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: August 31, 2019 01:44AM

kBOY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An important message from the JRS 'daise',
> RESTORATION WITHOUT REPENTANCE, certainly
> has plenty of application in this scenario. Any
> TLW hierarchical perpetrators who think they can
> slide by on this one are going to see dismal
> results for their efforts.

> You don't reassign the foxes to guard a new
> hen-house.

True, kBOY

Date: August 31, 2019 01:55AM

I_woke_up Wrote:

> At least Shiloh didn’t sign off the email with “In
> Christ’s Blood.”

Hilarious. I am now tempted to use that as my sign off all communications (family, friends, associates, credit card companies etc.):

Please make the specified corrections on next month's billing statement.

In Christ's Blood,
-Loyal Customer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 01:56AM by changedagain.

Date: August 31, 2019 02:06AM

Anyway, wishing all the contributors to this forum a very pleasant and meaningful Labor Day weekend. Enjoy yourselves!

In Christ's Blood,
Changedagain

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: August 31, 2019 02:37AM

In Christ’s Blood

A great name for a Christian heavy metal band.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: August 31, 2019 03:18AM

Re: the "In Christ's Blood" sign-off used in GH's apology letter...

Even when TLWF leaders attempt to mimick mainstream Christian leaders, they sound awkward and out of their element at best. It reminds me of a certain president quoting "Two Corinthians". GH should stick with what is familiar to him, like lording it over what is left of his disappearing flock.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 03:19AM by Reepicheep.

Date: August 31, 2019 03:59AM

It's hard to take seriously any sincerity when the primary modus operandi is to sell off assets ASAP and run for the hills.

(Oops--I almost forgot.)

In Christ's blood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 04:00AM by kBOY.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.