Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: August 24, 2019 09:51AM

I think that this bears repeating. From Saw Enough, about a month before Shalom's post.

Posted by: Saw enough ()
Date: September 27, 2018 11:21PM

In December 1972 Brother Stevens disappeared for an entire day and a few days later he went to the Valley Church and claimed that he'd been caught up in the spirit and taken 7 years into the future where he saw the Kingdom. As he explained his vision and his sense of losing all track of time that day, some of the young prophets speculated about black holes and time warps in the spirit where time did not matter. That vision of the Kingdom became the basis for a lot of the preaching for the next 7 years.

Many people and churches dedicated their lives and their survival planning and their life decisions around that 7-year date and the revelation that John was the apostle to the Kingdom. Twenty years later a woman from the Valley church got word to Gary and Marilyn that she had been with John on that December 12th in 1972. A lot of people around the Living Word building gossiped about the story, but nobody said or perhaps knows if John actually had his vision that day or if he was just with someone not his wife for the day. Aimee McPherson once disappeared mysteriously and later claimed that she'd been kidnapped and taken to Mexico or somewhere -- it's not that uncommon for ministers to try to cover their tracks.

It's like a Mormon hearing that Joseph Smith hadn't really found magic tablets and translated a new version of the Bible for latter day saints. How do you say, okay maybe that didn't happen but the rest of our church is still the true church of the end time. Joseph Smith's vision was not confirmed by others and John's claims were not really confirmed by others -- he was the leader and knowing that he had a special insight into the Kingdom was a draw.

Nothing about this disclosure was mentioned to the churches -- other than a few veiled words about how John's real problem was disobedience -- and not giving himself enough to Marilyn. (Another warning for people to shape up and get with the program.) Gary warned cryptically that things might be coming down that would shake people's loyalty but it would only be proof that they never had a revelation.

One of Rick's escapades also surfaced sometime in the 90s but he was not the only thing that was wrong in the fellowship. Going back to the 70s there were dozens of accounts of financial and sexual abuse by the pastors of many of the large churches, along with mistreatment of the people. After Gary & Marilyn took over, there was still large scale psychological abuse and reckless shepherding that left a lot of casualties. Marilyn had anger issues and would often lash out violently at those she felt were violating her spirit or offending her. This was interpreted as how the Lord felt about those people, especially since she was being promoted as the Lord in the earth and there was no "God in the sky" or "God in your brain" that you could trust. Submission to her as Christ in the flesh was the order of the day.

For every young person who came forth as a talented and accomplished adult, there were many more who were cast aside or labeled or discarded. Amazingly, Gary Hargrave has continued to promote John's vision as the plumbline for the fellowship even after he knew the background. (He might know something that no one else knows.)

Maybe the fellowship is in its death throes and is winding down due to dwindling membership, an aging congregation and the urgent need for finances to support the many facilities on an annual basis. It is also harder to isolate people from the world around them since they have so much access to what's going on outside the church walls. The messages follow the same pattern of Feasts and winter months and Purims to celebrate Marilyn and Passovers to leave Egypt and summer camps to be the prophets who rule the nations, along with reaching out to other churches and groups. But while the messages may be getting more orthodox in their delivery, their claims about how they are changing the whole earth are -- who knows?

For sure there is a crisis of confidence and trust -- similar to the Catholic church where the highest leaders are saying "We had no idea of the extent of the corruption in our midst." But the corruption was institutionalized through the years -- which is why it's kept repeating itself.

It's possible that the whole movement has just run its course and the world is waiting for others who can find a way to make a difference without hurting so many people in the process. They might not even come out of the Christian world

We've still been given a precious opening to move on. The past abuses were painful and for sure left scars but it doesn't mean some of your best days are not still ahead of you, not behind you.

The name I chose for this forum is Saw enough -- I don't want to focus on the past that much and I'm no expert with an inside track but I saw enough to feel that it is better to be out of there than in there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2019 10:02AM by Reepicheep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Onion ()
Date: August 24, 2019 02:30PM

Saw Enough's post - WOW. Thanks for reposting it Reepicheep. I had forgotten about it and it is so worth re-reading. Very detailed and eloquent.

I will add some information I learned recently - as of about 2010/11 people were being informed that JRS was the past, we were not to be focused on him or talking about him anymore, and we were moving on with the focus on Gary not JRS. I don't know how many other people were told this but I know Craig Haworth told some people exactly that. So much for G&M ever pretending to carry on JRS' vision.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: August 24, 2019 04:48PM

Aardvark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is Holy Jim Canyon? In the Cleveland
> National forest, north of San Diego and the place
> that JRS had a cabin which he used as a weekend
> getaway. It was here that he had several pivotal
> meetings with God that influenced the course of
> his ministry.

I think this cabin was used as a get-away spot for affairs with various women as well.

But also consider this. Much prophecy and predictions about the future came out of John’s mouth. So few of them came to pass. Isn’t that the definition of a false prophet?

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: August 24, 2019 09:51PM

puddington Wrote:

> But also consider this. Much prophecy and
> predictions about the future came out of John’s
> mouth. So few of them came to pass. Isn’t that
> the definition of a false prophet?

When the prophesies did not come to pass, the people were often blamed for it not happening...due to a lack of faith, dedication etc. The 'word' and direction given to the fellowship was always perfect, according to leadership.
I know when the Kingdom did not arrive in 1979, as John's alleged vision (transport into the future) while in Holy Jim Canyon back in '72 indicated it would, there was an emphasis that the Kingdom does not come by observation (Luke 17:20). So many faithful claimed it did arrive, but couldn't be perceived by our limited human senses. Of course, there were details in his 'vision' that should be easily verifiable--like the non-existence of stop lights, but I suppose that is beside the point.
Note: I used to have the book that contained a chapter about his vision ('The Shape of Things to Come'), now out of print. I don't know what became of it. I suspect my wife may have given it away as a gift during one of our garage sales. If so, thoughts and prayers to whoever ended up with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2019 10:01PM by changedagain.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: August 24, 2019 10:04PM

Interesting book “The Shape of Things to Come” by JRS. There’s a reason it is no longer available. Too much unfulfilled prophecies. It must be embarrassing to TLW.

Date: August 24, 2019 10:13PM

It's obvious from my writing here, that I don't believe John spoke a word from God. However, he did have charisma, spoke with conviction and a church service with him in the forefront was never boring. As theater, it was pretty remarkable. The insane intercession services to kill the nephilim and break him into resurrection life might even startle people in this jaded era (if video clips were available).

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: August 24, 2019 10:19PM

Unfulfilled prophecies, arranged marriages, arranged divorces, abortions ordered, people called prophets, people called nephilim...where did it end? This was all at JRS' command. And so much more. So very many were hurt, and the only ultimate beneficiaries were G&M and Rick.

Date: August 24, 2019 10:25PM

I recall someone in our local church invited a co-worker to a weekend Anaheim service in the late 70's. The guy agreed to go, the church was packed, and he was led to the front row to during the pre-service intercession hysteria. One of the first 'prophesies' he heard was something like--'God D***M THE NEPHILIM!!' (repeated countless times). Anyway, for whatever reason, this person refused to attend another service. I glanced at him on his way out of this very long service, and he seemed visibly shaken. A meeting with God will do that to you.

Date: August 24, 2019 10:26PM

Reepicheep Wrote:
> Unfulfilled prophecies, arranged marriages,
> arranged divorces, abortions ordered, people
> called prophets, people called nephilim...where
> did it end? This was all at JRS' command. And so
> much more. So very many were hurt, and the only
> ultimate beneficiaries were G&M and Rick.

true

Date: August 24, 2019 10:37PM

puddington Wrote:
> Interesting book “The Shape of Things to Come” by
> JRS. There’s a reason it is no longer available.
> Too much unfulfilled prophecies. It must be
> embarrassing to TLW.

I would think so ('The Shape of Things Not to Come').

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.