Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: August 22, 2019 01:59AM

Aardvark wrote:
I don’t like be falsely accused, and it makes me wonder if perhaps the paranoia and group think is on your end. The fact that you felt the need to investigate a person with “controversial” ideas and then propagate false info to others is a classic symptom of cultic thinking. Perhaps more therapy is in order.

Most of what you wrote lacked specifics to have any clue about your identity. Generalities about how you loved the word, loved the worship, experienced no abuse and claimed that "hundreds of people" felt the same way...not represented in the discussions here. You place the burden of proof upon those who have written in the forum for years...and have revealed things about themselves to indicate that whether or not people agree with their "take," they at least are representing themselves legitimately as former long-time members of TLWF. Nothing you have written gives an objective reader a clue whether you are who you say you are. Meanwhile, I can personally vouch for the identity of almost all the regular contributors to this forum, as they can for me.
The only thing I find "controversial" about you is not your ideas, which are pretty generic, but the fact you insist people accept the vague story you've put forth about your 47-year tenure in TLWF, and your demand that you be treated with the same respect and credibility as those who have posted here for many years. That will have to be earned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2019 02:04AM by changedagain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aardvark ()
Date: August 22, 2019 02:54AM

So you’re apparently justifying the false accusation by claiming I haven’t proved my legitimacy. I didn’t realize you guys have a litmus test to determine who is “one of you.” I hope you see the irony in your statements, since this is classic paranoid cultic thinking.

You are postulating that I have nothing better to do than create a false persona for what purpose? To try to win you guys back to the LWF? That’s pure craziness. Think about it.

To the contrary I’ve been very honest about where I’m coming from, even risking stating viewpoints contrary to the prevailing mindset on this site. I am exactly who I say I am. I just don’t have the same experience as many on this site and I refuse to immerse myself into the collective. Been there, done that.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: August 22, 2019 03:08AM

Aardvark, go to one of your posts and click on your user name. Then click on "show all posts". I did not make this up.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: August 22, 2019 03:45AM

AARDVARK/gillslicer:

I really have no desire to step into the fray, but one point that must be made is that over the years there have been TLW moles (as apologists) who have presented themselves in sheep's clothing here on this forum, so it is understandable that there may be an air of suspicion regarding anyone who still toots TLW's horn in any respect.

To reiterate a comment I made earlier, I, like yourself, had a pretty good run during my 35 years in TLW, but I know fully well that was an exception and not the rule. That said, in no way shape or form do I defend much of anything done 'in the name of the Lord' that transpired during my tenure.

I also know and continue to LOVE many on both sides of the fence, but there is still an element of cognitive dissonance at play with those who are willing to overlook and excuse egregious offenses that occurred right under their nose. When you match up the behind-the-scenes lives of both JRS and G&M with the word that 'tickled our ears' for decades, you come up far short of anything even closely approaching integrity.

Duplicity and hypocrisy seemed to be 'The Walk' they walked.

Date: August 22, 2019 03:46AM

Aardvark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So you’re apparently justifying the false
> accusation by claiming I haven’t proved my
> legitimacy.

You're the one who insisted on believing the "joker" you know (John, Gary etc.), than the ones you don't (Onion, Reep, Puddington etc.). I'm applying your same standard. I'm not going to automatically believe your story (47 satisfying years in TLWF), if it simply comes down to your demand that you be believed & trusted to the same extent as those I've interacted with for many years--in this forum, on other online groups & in "real life." All you've offered is generic stories that someone that didn't spend a day in TLWF could have provided, simply by talking a few hours with someone who had been in it.

> and I didn’t realize you guys have a
> litmus test to determine who is “one of you.”

I wouldn't call it a litmus test. It's just something that evolves organically after years and years of interaction. You tend to trust certain people more than others, and as circumstances change & events unfold, your viewpoints often change. It's normal.

> I hope you see the irony in your statements, since
> this is classic paranoid cultic thinking.

Common sense, Aardvark. This is the way it works in most walks of life. You're getting a little worked up here :)

> You are postulating that I have nothing better to
> do than create a false persona for what purpose?

I have no idea. Perhaps to counter the negative, but truthful statements about the abuse that went on within TLWF for decades. Perhaps you're connected to former leaders that want to create a more positive narrative online, and you're helping out from the goodness of your heart...or for some other reason.
Provide more specifics about your time in TLWF & there will be more to work with. I don't think anyone is requiring you to subscribe to what has been written here. In fact, you've already declared it is a misrepresentation of TLWF, based on your own experience. Yes, you will continue to be challenged if what you write is diametrically opposed to the experience of many long timers here...but there will be no coercion applied to get you to change your mind. (challenged yes, coerced no)

Now relax for the rest of day! I would suggest reading a few political tweets-that always does it for me :)

Date: August 22, 2019 04:00AM

Reep,
Of course I did that. Apparently, you didn’t took at it closely. The posts you refer to as mine are using a different name, not Aardvark. The user name is associated with an email address. The email address associated with Aardvark was created 24 hours prior to me signing up for this site, so cannot be associated with the ancient posts you are referring to.

I realize you can’t know this, but perhaps you should think before you accuse. I won’t hold my breath for an apology.

Date: August 22, 2019 04:08AM

Nonsense. I’m not asking to be trusted, just not falsely accused. No rational person should TRUST people who live in the internet ether. TRUST is reserved for people that you hear, see and love. I hope you have such people in your life.

Posted by: Ohman? ()
Date: August 22, 2019 04:18AM

changedagain Wrote:
> Now relax for the rest of day! I would suggest
> reading a few political tweets-that always does it
> for me :)

Or try chanting!

Date: August 22, 2019 05:04AM

kBOY Wrote:
> AARDVARK/gillslicer:
>
> I really have no desire to step into the fray, but
> one point that must be made is that over the years
> there have been TLW moles (as apologists) who have
> presented themselves in sheep's clothing here on
> this forum, so it is understandable that there may
> be an air of suspicion regarding anyone who still
> toots TLW's horn in any respect.
>
> To reiterate a comment I made earlier, I, like
> yourself, had a pretty good run during my 35 years
> in TLW, but I know fully well that was an
> exception and not the rule. That said, in no way
> shape or form do I defend much of anything done
> 'in the name of the Lord' that transpired during
> my tenure.
>
> I also know and continue to LOVE many on both
> sides of the fence, but there is still an element
> of cognitive dissonance at play with those
> who are willing to overlook and excuse egregious
> offenses that occurred right under their nose.
> When you match up the behind-the-scenes lives of
> both JRS and G&M with the word that 'tickled our
> ears' for decades, you come up far short of
> anything even closely approaching integrity.
>
> Duplicity and hypocrisy seemed to be 'The Walk'
> they walked.

True

Date: August 22, 2019 05:08AM

Aardvark Wrote:
> I’m not asking to be trusted, just not
> falsely accused. No rational person should TRUST
> people who live in the internet ether. TRUST is
> reserved for people that you hear, see and love. I
> hope you have such people in your life.

Yes, I do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.