Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: August 19, 2019 08:14AM

Reep wrote:
At some point, you may be surprised to learn that individuals among your friends have actually had devastating experiences while part of the group. They may not have been willing or able to share these experiences until fully separated from that atmosphere. And emotional separation after such a long time in the fellowship may take years to sort out.

Yes--I would encourage those who have been a part of TLWF not to prematurely commit themselves to some new organization, simply because they are told things will be different. Take your time. If you feel pressure, it's probably because you are being pressured. There's a lot conditioning that needs to be undone before you can see things clearly, and make good decisions. Don't allow yourself to be steered into an ill-advised choice. It's your life, not someone who claims to be representing God's interest. Stand up for yourself. You've been taught that this is a sin, which is convenient for those who wish to continue controlling you.

Aardvark:
Those who remain at CLW see it this way as well and believe the “marriage” is worth saving. CLW 2.0 is carefully emerging with the leadership determined to learn from past mistakes (my take).

I think it will depend in great part on the identity of the new leaders, and what they perceive as "past mistakes." If it takes on a vague form (such as 'not listening to the Holy Spirit'), it almost certainly is designed to diminish the severity of the harm done to members of the fellowship, and attempt to regain their trust with mostly symbolic action. We'll see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2019 08:33AM by changedagain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 19, 2019 08:43AM

larry bobo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is so difficult to unwrap the damage from all
> types of abuse. I think our minds build up a
> defense mechanism that only allow us to see a
> limited amount as we can handle it emotionally.
> It keeps us from having a meltdown. For many on
> this site, it has taken years of serious effort
> and research, and in many cases professional
> counseling, to be able to have our current
> perspective. It certainly doesn’t happen
> overnight. It's good to give people space to go
> through the process at their unique pace
. Most of
> us were kids when we became a part of TLWF and
> didn’t have the life experiences necessary to
> recognize a fraud – we were easy prey. I know
> this was the case for me. I certainly have
> understanding now that I did not have 50 years ago
> - even though the lessons were very difficult.

Yes

Posted by: Aardvark ()
Date: August 20, 2019 08:52AM

There’s no pressure being exerted since I have no direct communication. And have no intention of returning.

I personally trust the new leadership since I know the folks well. But it’s irrelevant since outa there. Just hoping for the best for everyone.

Date: August 20, 2019 09:01AM

Dang, I’m on my way to Alaska

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: August 21, 2019 07:02AM

Date: August 16, 2019 06:11PM

Puddington,
Well said, but I stand by my previous statements. This issue is complex because it is largely theological and would require a long winded biblical debate. The first question here is whether one believes as the charismatics do, for example, that God can and still does many of the same things that He did in the Bible. If you don’t believe that than any claim to a present supernatural manifestation can be viewed as the occult (I believe this is Nicol’s perspective).

On the other hand, if you generally believe and expect manifestations of the Holy Spirit in the church today then many of the things you named are not a problem (notwithstanding the Nephilim thing). It is then contingent upon the one witnessing the event to discern the spirit behind it. Is it the Spirit of God or another spirit?

Nothing that happened in the blessins is nearly as strange as the things that Jesus and the apostles did (I never saw JRS spit on someone’s tongue to heal him). The British preacher Smith Wigglesworth, in the early 20th century, did many things stranger than JRS.

I suspect you have a more conservative view of spiritual things. That’s OK, we don’t hold it against you. There’s room for all here.

Question: were you at the blessins? If so, did you find the Lord there like hundreds of others? Or did you see the occult in operation?

Aardvark, I think that you mistook puddington for me with this response. Yes, it's possible that I currently "have a more conservative view of spiritual things". And thanks for "not holding it against me".

My question is, how do you judge if you had a "meeting with God" in the Bless Ins? Was it a feeling? Did you fall down? And if so, what was the fruit of that meeting with God in your life? I would argue that we were reacting in groupthink in the way that we were taught to react. A good feeling is rather a dead end if it doesn't cause change, or good fruit, in the person who is "meeting God".

What was the fruit of JRS' ministry? Did it yield the peaceable fruit of righteousness? Or did it yield "mainly waste, friction, vain striving and misdirected effort, sickening failure and defeated ambition"?

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them. Matthew 7:15-20 KJV

Date: August 21, 2019 09:21PM

Cult Education Institute

Destructive Cult Dynamics

What types of people become leaders of unsafe and/or destructive groups?
Many cult leaders seem to be narcissistic personalities often fantasizing about messianic visions that will change the course of human history, while appearing to have little if any conscience. Some make claims that they are the exclusive voice of God, "psychic" connections to historical figures, or aliens from outer space. Often these leaders seem deeply delusional and disturbed and some have been called psychopaths. Marshall Applewhite, the leader of "Heaven's Gate" was once confined to a mental hospital.

Extreme examples of destructive and delusional behavior by cult leaders such as Jim Jones, David Koresh and Shoko Asahara have caused many mental health professionals to question their sanity. Still others simply may be opportunistic con men or women, exploiting their followers for personal profit and self-interest.

What kind of relationship do destructive group leaders have with their followers?
The leadership most often defines what is right and wrong and group followers are essentially expected to defer making meaningful value judgments regarding almost any issue of significant importance. And any member of the group who questions or doubts the authority of the leader is likely to be labeled wrong, rebellious, suppressive, negative and in some situations even "demon possessed" or "satanic".

No area of a member or follower's life appears to be immune from such a group's scrutiny and/or criticism. A kind of learned dependency often develops. Group followers appear highly dependent upon their leaders to resolve problems and provide them with an ongoing sense of clarity and purpose.

Are there any meaningful boundaries in such relationships?
No. It seems that most destructive cult leaders do not provide appropriate boundaries regarding the relationship they have with their followers. Because of this and other factors such as learned dependency, thought reform and little if any meaningful accountability, a formula for abuse and exploitation often exists in such group relationships.

Also, the adulation of followers may have a negative impact upon the leader(s), almost like an intoxicating and addictive drug. This may deepen a codependent relationship between the leader and his or her followers. And such virtual worship may also provide seeming proof to some cult leaders that their grandiose delusions of greatness, power and absolute authority are true. The more obedience and adulation such leaders receive, the more they may want and eventually require. This may then become the foundation for ever-escalating bizarre and/or destructive behavior.

I recommend reading the FAQ of the Cult Education Institute website. [www.culteducation.com]

The dynamics that constitute a destructive cult have been present in The Walk since the beginning. John Robert Stevens often said, "Let me tell you how to think". He taught followers to behave in ways that were contrary to and violated their own core beliefs, such as engaging in prayer for the death of his wife, shunning former friends or even their own family for the sin of disagreeing with the leader and leaving college programs when they were nearly finished in order to "bring in the kingdom". Many people who followed this man have passed away. Many of the original member's children are now at retirement age, and suffering from a lack of financial foresight. It seems that following grandiose visions of being God's "chosen people" to bring in His Kingdom didn't come with a retirement plan. In my opinion, this is the fruit of that "apostolic ministry", unless you count the personal wealth of JRS and those who succeeded him, Gary and Marilyn Hargrave.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2019 09:50PM by Reepicheep.

Date: August 22, 2019 12:42AM

A search of our "old" friend Aardvark's history on this forum to follow. Please note that a mere six years ago he/she posted on a Buddhist thread and claimed to be a child. He/she was banned from the RR Forum for being an underage poster. So much for 47 years in TLWF.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Posted by: fool me twice ()
Date: August 22, 2019 01:17AM

Date: August 22, 2019 12:42AM

>A search of our "old" friend Aardvark's history on this forum to follow. Please >note that a mere six years ago he/she posted on a Buddhist thread and claimed to >be a child. He/she was banned from the RR Forum for being an underage poster. So >much for 47 years in TLWF.

Why am I not surprised?

Date: August 22, 2019 01:34AM

Reep,
That’s absolutely false, your link to Aardvark’s history verifies this falsehood (references a different person). I’ve never been on this site before, and I have no interest in Buddhism for GOD’s sake!

I don’t like be falsely accused, and it makes me wonder if perhaps the paranoia and group think is on your end. The fact that you felt the need to investigate a person with “controversial” ideas and then propagate false info to others is a classic symptom of cultic thinking. Perhaps more therapy is in order.

I thought for a moment that this site was a safe space for folks in transition from LWF. Apparently, I was wrong.

Date: August 22, 2019 01:34AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2019 01:36AM by changedagain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.