Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: August 18, 2019 04:37AM

It is so difficult to unwrap the damage from all types of abuse. I think our minds build up a defense mechanism that only allow us to see a limited amount as we can handle it emotionally. It keeps us from having a meltdown. For many on this site, it has taken years of serious effort and research, and in many cases professional counseling, to be able to have our current perspective. It certainly doesn’t happen overnight. It's good to give people space to go through the process at their unique pace. Most of us were kids when we became a part of TLWF and didn’t have the life experiences necessary to recognize a fraud – we were easy prey. I know this was the case for me. I certainly have understanding now that I did not have 50 years ago - even though the lessons were very difficult.

I would suggest a couple of plumblines, knowing they will be a trigger for some and helpful to others, in recognizing where we are in healing process. They are: (1) How do I view my current relationship with God? and (2) How do I view living my life in community again? Many want nothing to do with God or Christianity initially, but over time open back up after realizing the damaging areas of TLWF were never true Christianity in the first place. The first step of regaining our trust in God – that He is always good and faithful – is much easier than the second step. The more difficult step is developing deep relationships again with flawed humans who are also members of the Body of Christ – not to mention the rest of the world. After we have been deeply wounded, I don’t think it is even possible unless He gives us His love – which He freely does. He really can empower us to do what we could never do in our own ability. The greatest command was that we love God and then one another. Over time, I’ve become much less fearful of going back and reading the directions – especially when they are Jesus’ words. It’s also good to remember that just because our eyes have been opened to the flaws of church leaders and systems, it doesn’t mean we should stop loving Him and one another. That’s the true church – not the man-made system. A hand never realizes it's true purpose until it is a functioning part of the body.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aardvark ()
Date: August 18, 2019 08:01AM

Hey Onion,
I owe you an apology. My intent was not to question your credibility as a person, but was addressing the problem of trying to find convincing truth from people you can’t see and don’t know.

Hopefully, you can forgive my insensitivity.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: August 18, 2019 08:16AM

Larry Bobo brings up some very important points. Most of us old-timers signed up at a very vulnerable age during the tumultuous times of late Vietnam, Watergate, and whatever other dysfunctional event one may want to highlight. The sales-pitch was impressive--be a part of ushering in the Kingdom--FINALLY!

Also, the slow-boil cannot be underestimated in it's effectiveness in changing a mindset to a new 'normal', that the rest of society would obviously steer clear of. Add to that the slow desensitization to things that would normally be red-lights to someone not under the spell, were barely blinking yellow to the faithful.

As Larry goes on to point out, the alienation of some from our own CREATOR is probably the biggest offense that TLW may have perpetrated, by representing a complete counterfeit version of the ONE who had no hand in anything unLOVING.

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: August 18, 2019 08:24AM

I also wanted to say that 20 years after leaving TLWF, I am so thankful for the valuable lessons learned there. If I had not found value (e.g. wonderful relationships), I would not have invested 30 years of my life in the organization. Like many others, I questioned the validity of those relationships formed in TLWF after being shunned by those I thought were my friends. Most were just doing what they were told to do – I just took it with a grain and tried to be understanding, knowing I had done the same to others who had left. But, I also learned the damage that results when you leave the teachings of Jesus. I have much greater respect for His words now than at any time in TLWF. Now I look to see if John’s words line up with Jesus’ words instead of Jesus’ teaching lining up with “looking through the apostolic lens” garbage. Jesus’ teachings are just not that complicated that it takes a fake PhD to interpret them. You must do what he says and then you discover his teaching works. John’s teaching was mostly fantasy that bred dysfunction and a bizarre form of "spirituality". The only ones that benefited were the wolves looking to fleece the sheep.

Date: August 18, 2019 08:26AM

KBoy,
Thanks for the good insights. The reality is I’m not where you all are at this point. I continue to believe that I received something real from God in LWF, albeit from some very flawed vessels. I still read that word and find tremendous life and blessing in it. I realize that’s not something you can relate to, but true nevertheless.

I came into LWF almost 50 years ago, not to join a cult but because I found the Lord in a big way. The word and worship were alive. So I’m not throwing out the baby with the bath water, but am separating the precious from the vile.

That process is being fruitful. Each day I live I have greater insight into the oppression I lived under and the various forms of idolatry I participated in. I’m starting to get my mojo back, feeling closer to God than I have for years. I believe that God led me and has now led me out.

Posted by: Ohman? ()
Date: August 18, 2019 12:24PM

That process is being fruitful. Each day I live I have greater insight into the oppression I lived under and the various forms of idolatry I participated in. I’m starting to get my mojo back, feeling closer to God than I have for years. I believe that God led me and has now led me out.

Me too

Date: August 18, 2019 02:28PM

AARDVARK & OHMAN:

I believe most here on the forum would agree with the process stated above, and one which happens by degrees on a daily basis. As has been mentioned previously, one of the most egregious offenses perpetrated by TLW was to shift our focus away from our own personal relationship with our CREATOR, and onto someone else's personal relationship (JRS, G&M), which ironically stood in contrast to the basic premises of The Walk itself.

Acknowledging being 'led in' and then 'led out' is an important first step in the healing process. Now it is time for each to be 'led on' by the ONE sent to do the leading.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: August 18, 2019 08:35PM

Maybe that's why JRS brought The Threat Within sermon. The answer was always within us. We were taught not to listen. : (

Date: August 18, 2019 10:44PM

R E E P :

Points well taken.

As I vaguely recall, The Threat Within mostly dealt with threats to the 'oneness' (agreement with the party line) of the body elect (I could be mistaken). Ironically, the true threat within was anyone attempting to hijack our own personal walk and supplanting it with their own (JRS, G&M, etc.).

The threat within on a personal level is the voice of fear we have a tendency to follow rather than the STILL SMALL VOICE. That threat is what set us off on our own prodigal misadventure.

Only the STILL SMALL VOICE knows the way back from what we left--HEAVEN--our one permanent address.

Date: August 18, 2019 11:08PM

Although leaving CLW has been a positive experience, I still find myself unable to make the full transition out. I seem to have at least one spiritual toe in LWF since I’ve not found a replacement - a place where people have the same kind of hunger for God and Scripture. So, I don’t yet see it as a cult as do the folks here since I’ve not had the same negative experiences. Rather I would characterize it as a true move of God in which the leadership screwed up and people got hurt in the process. More like a marriage that started well but was pulled of course by human failure.

Those who remain at CLW see it this way as well and believe the “marriage” is worth saving. CLW 2.0 is carefully emerging with the leadership determined to learn from past mistakes (my take). But I can’t be there since I need to move on.

The result is that I’m now kind of stuck between two realities, not going back to CLW but not yet finding a collective experience with God which is comparable to what was there. The search has included going to about a dozen churches over the last 20 years, while still in LWF. All have been deeply disappointing.

I believe that God led me out in order to lead me in. I’m still looking for the map the shows the way in. Going around the mountain for decades has to lead to something better than more wilderness wandering.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.