Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: July 06, 2019 09:25AM

From September 2018:

Posted by: Cloudwatcher
Date: September 22, 2018 12:09AM

It is very sad when you think about the sexual abuse allegations in TLWF now coming to light. Every single adult, including the parents of the victims, knew that Rick was screwing underage girls and that the 2 of those he had affairs with and subsequently married, were underage when he took advantage of them--and when caught with his pants down--had to marry them to protect himself--I imagine that was orchestrated by Marilyn to avoid him going to prison.

Everyone in that fellowship knows. And yet---why didn't the parents or the clergy or teachers in the school--any adult with a conscience call the police? Why wasn't he arrested? Why is he not a registered sex offender? What kind of control over the mind does it take for something so heinous to be dismissed to the point of so many even good people--ignoring their conscience as if in a trance? It's scary.

The phenomenon is pointing to danger ahead for our children and grandchildren--there are many cults like this. If the IRS doesn't change its rules about reporting income for churches, it will continue because there are sick people like JRS and Gary and Marilyn Hargrave waiting to prey upon anyone who will listen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 06, 2019 09:19PM

1,100,066 page views to date...
Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 09:19PM by changedagain.

Date: July 06, 2019 09:52PM

From October, 2018:

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: October 05, 2018

Having a few drinks isn't a bad thing. In fact not long ago (like an hour ago) I had a celebratory shot or two with my friend concerning a case she is working on (successfully).

Forcing underage people to drink because they are afraid of you and afraid not to be the cool people in the little social clique formed by Rick and his cronies is disgusting (and illegal). Influencing "of age" people to drink with that same influence is disgusting. Setting up bars in every imaginable location is absurdly disgusting -- and they have been set up in multiple locations in Shiloh as well. MULTIPLE. The first time I heard stories of how Rick serves alcohol to children and influences underage drinking and other things were in relation to the Amphitheater and Rick's famous after parties for the workers, cast, and probably any young girl even if not involved, where a huge volume of alcohol was served to one and all.

Rick (in my humble opinion) has a goal of getting the young women too drunk to resist or even to remember his sexual assaults. Just saying....

It's weird to be involved with a group of church people who believe being free means drinking in excess. Lose a loved one here and there because of alcohol? Apparently, that is just considered collateral damage but certainly no reason to make any changes to the way the church is run.

It would be interesting to do a sobriety check on the people involved in the Christmas truck. If I remember correctly, the booze flows like a fountain whenever the truck goes out (or during the preparation each year, including rehearsals and recording new songs).

What a lovely reputation for people who are selling the idea that what they say is a word from God. Just keep your congregation toasted so they can't tell the difference and you're in like Flynn.

I heard from a very reliable source that the bar bills for church leaders in Iowa when they go out to the Tuscan Moon Restaurant includes top shelf liquor and multiple bottles of wine that run close to $150 each. Oh - but you better clean their houses for free and iron their clothes and do their yards, etc. etc. etc. Lovely.

Date: July 06, 2019 10:09PM

The never ending roller coaster--keep 'em guessing what you'll do next. The result: pliable followers, devoid of critical thinking.
This from May of 2018:

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: May 07, 2018 12:14PM

I recall my first corporation meeting in L.A. G & M and company were smoking cigarettes, drinking hard alcohol, and swearing about everything. A couple of years later, they were on a health kick and making an attempt to clean up their language. Times, they are a changin’.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: July 06, 2019 11:08PM

Thanks for re-posting, changedagain. It's important to remember the conversations on this forum. Regarding alcohol abuse in The Walk/TLWF, where to start? At the beginning, with JRS, who was by many accounts an inveterate alcoholic. By the time people were close enough "to the center of the camp" to suspect this, they were already under such control that the excuses of spiritual warfare seemed plausible.

In hindsight, what a twisted and evil waste of people's lives for the glorification, self-indulgence and enrichment of a few.

Date: July 07, 2019 01:46AM

Reepicheep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for re-posting, changedagain. It's
> important to remember the conversations on this
> forum. Regarding alcohol abuse in The Walk/TLWF,
> where to start? At the beginning, with JRS, who
> was by many accounts an inveterate alcoholic. By
> the time people were close enough "to the center
> of the camp" to suspect this, they were already
> under such control that the excuses of spiritual
> warfare seemed plausible.

> In hindsight, what a twisted and evil waste of
> people's lives for the glorification,
> self-indulgence and enrichment of a few.

True

Date: July 07, 2019 01:52AM

From September of 2018:

Posted by: reveal
Date: September 06, 2018 09:37PM

I love what everyone has been posting lately. I feel like so many of us have been holding our tongues for a very long time and we have somehow collectively realized that the time has come to SPEAK UP! Someone mentioned recently the concept of "doing your own thing" and do I ever relate to that. I was certainly labeled as such on many occasions. Oddly, when I look back at the times when I wasn't super involved in the church and wasn't submitting to any shepherds (tsk tsk) those were the times when I was actually functioning the best in my life. Sure I had ups and downs and heartaches, regular life stuff...but it wasn't this intense psychological war zone like it was for me when I became involved and submitted to TLWF leadership. To be honest, the only reason I did give myself to submit in the first place was because I was made to feel so "less than", so unloved, so marginalized by the people that were supposed to be my family because I wasn't. I came to the conclusion that well, this is what I had to do to be accepted so I had better get on board. And thus began the worst years of my life. No joke.

I spoke recently with an old friend of mine who was never in the church, and when I was finally honest with her about how I had been raised in this bizarre cult, she felt free to be honest with me. She said that once when she and her boyfriend came to a church sponsored function on my invitation, on their way home she said to him, "I think she is in a cult!" We had a good LOL over that, but it also saddened me. She could see it so clearly, but I was completely blind. How could I not be? We were completely immersed, discouraged from relating to the outside world in any real way, made to fear it even. The truth is that the friends I have made outside the church over the years have oftentimes proven to be far deeper and more genuine than those I had in the church. It made me realize how shallow so many of my church relationships really were. We were fed lines about being family, and told that the relationships are born out of the work, and so we labored together and built Rick three bars to get drunk at church, and five-star facilities for the pleasure of a relatively small group of elite, and made Gary & Marilyn's meals, cleaned their house (while they had two assistants on staff) and any other number of endless projects that were put before us. Not one of which involved helping ANYONE in the community, no encouragement to get out there and help the underprivileged or be socially conscious. I realized one day that, for the most part, all of these people I had worshipped with and labored with for so many years didn't even really know me, nor I them. We weren't given the time! We were too busy laboring for Jesus! This became all the more evident when we left the church, because NO ONE has even asked us why they haven't seen or heard from us. Family my ass.

Posted by: maggieb ()
Date: July 07, 2019 05:05AM

Daughter of an ex-member here. Does anyone know about adoptions taking place within the church during JRS's time? I've read posts about marriages and possibly abortions being strongly influenced by TLWF leadership, but wondering if they also facilitated adoptions within the church. Feel free to DM me if you have any information on this.

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: July 07, 2019 05:41AM

maggieb Wrote: Date: July 07, 2019 05:05AM
-------------------------------------------------------
> Daughter of an ex-member here. Does anyone know
> about adoptions taking place within the church
> during JRS's time? I've read posts about marriages
> and possibly abortions being strongly influenced
> by TLWF leadership, but wondering if they also
> facilitated adoptions within the church. Feel free
> to DM me if you have any information on this.

Welcome maggieb
In the late '70's I knew of a several families who adopted with in the group- but I knew no details. I hope you find what you are searching for.

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: July 07, 2019 05:55AM

changedagain on July 07, 2019 you re-posted some great posts that sums up a lot.Thanks!

In the mid'60's I was a young teen who simply went to Christian church camp in LA. I was exposed to an enormous amounts of underage drinking among the youth at the big-time pastors homes with out parents present. I was guest from Iowa-my parents expected me to be safe. My parents did learn of the drinking from my mouth - I did not drink nor did I have sex with anyone - boy was I the "weirdo" Hilly Billy in the CA youth eyes. I was in a lot of trouble with my parents tho' I did nothing wrong. What came of it when my mother found out- I don't know, but she sent me out to CA again and again. I did not understand how the pastors had so much booze in their homes and their teens do what I was not allowed to do in Iowa nor wanted to do.

Point is: a lot of non Christian things went on since the beginning of the Walk. My guess it that the home I was in as a guest with all the booze and fooling around were parsonages. I seemed to be the only one who even cared.

With that said, I had always wondered how some leaders could enjoy the tax free benefits and do all the non Christian stuff they did in the name of Jesus. I hope that tax exempt laws get cracked down on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.