Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: July 03, 2019 10:45PM

Road to Damascus:
I have been thinking about the so called word given last summer where GH said a time of persecution was coming and we would be tested to stay steady in the word. Makes me wonder if he knew what was coming. This coupled with the whole will you remain obedient is what some that still remain hold onto along with the idea that every group has this type of thing. I would not be surprised if he knew there was a problem and he was trying to manage and keep it from exploding. Does anyone out there know anything about this time from June 2018 until November 2018. Interesting how so many that are left buy into and hold on to what he said during that time. Control, manipulation and lies. I think of him as the snake oil salesman.

I think you are correct. Maybe that's why I am sharing posts from time period, because it was obvious he was anticipating what was coming, and looking to frame it as persecution...and an attempt by the "enemy" to shake people from the "perfect word" they had been given. This approach (establish the narrative to the fellowship before it gets wind of accusations) is par for the course in TLWF history. Many people are still terrified of being "disobedient" to the "word"--and that fear (in great part) keeps them attached to these tyrannical leaders. And then there's the fact that many have devoted most of their life to this elaborate, ever changing fantasy, and letting it go--recognizing they have been conned--is too big a hurdle to face.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 03, 2019 11:01PM

I recall when I was involved over 20 years ago, and Rick's womanizing would become an issue in the fellowship, that words were brought from the pulpit emphasizing that people remain true to the "word," and not be shaken from their "revelation."
The congregants were routinely blamed for not being faithful to "God's word" and the "ministries" He allegedly sent to them. The toll taken by these sick psychological games on the mental state of members of the fellowship has been incalculable. The years and years of former members sharing their heartbreaking stories in this forum & in other online groups, searching for a path to healing and recovery, is testimony to that.

Date: July 04, 2019 02:59AM

Another indication I am idling this day away...
I did a search for the word "Satan" in the category of 'Former Cult Members and Affected Family,' which includes over 400 discussion groups. The search returned 271 results, with 240 of them referencing our site. He gets a lot of play here. I was thinking of designating tomorrow a Satan-free 4th of July, but then I forgot about the celebration planned in DC.

Note: if anyone gets run over by a tank during the festivities, it is their own fault. If you plan to attend, please pay close attention to your surroundings, and make sure you are under the covering of your DR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2019 03:13AM by changedagain.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: July 04, 2019 07:25AM

Date: July 02, 2019 10:49AM

Note: I did a search for the word "obedience" in the category "former cult members and affected families"--which includes over 400 discussion groups. I received 257 results--192 pointing to our discussion group. Apparently even among cults, at least in this category, the emphasis on obedience within our church was extraordinarily.

Date: July 03, 2019 12:59PM

I did a search for the word "Satan" in the category of 'Former Cult Members and Affected Family,' which includes over 400 discussion groups. The search returned 271 results, with 240 of them referencing our site. He gets a lot of play here. I was thinking of designating tomorrow a Satan-free 4th of July, but then I forgot about the celebration planned in DC.

Perfect and not surprising. Two of the most important terms in The Walk/TLWF: Obedience and Satan.

Here's another one: Nephilim

Same parameters...197 results from twelve years ago to present. ALL 197 results are from TLWF. I doubt that most people not in the group are even acquainted with the term.

Addendum: I changed the search parameters to ALL forums and ALL dates. There were 199 results. One of the extras was from this Thread: Re: Were the rumors about the Walk true or persecution from cult hunters?

Yes, that one is about TLWF also.

There was one result from another group where this term was used:
Re: Morning Star Testimonial Church
Posted by: Romans8 ()
Date: November 09, 2007 12:57PM

So for all of you nephs who have posted messages critical of TLWF on this or other forums, take heart. No one else will even know what the hell that is supposed to mean. ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2019 07:37AM by Reepicheep.

Date: July 04, 2019 08:44AM

Reep wrote:
So for all of you nephs who have posted messages critical of TLWF on this or other forums, take heart. No one else will even know what the hell that is supposed to mean. ;)
A cause for celebration

Note: A search of all forums for "Lamp of Israel" had 60 results, all from the same discussion group. I'm not at liberty to identify this group. You'll just have to speculate.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: July 04, 2019 10:34PM

This whole resignation and disappearance of Gary Hargrave is cause for concern. I guess he never had a shepherd’s heart after all. So much for the care of the sheep.

I wonder if he is related to Francesco Schettino. The captain of the Costa Concordia that ran aground off the coast of Italy. That captain stayed dry and was one of the first to flee the ship in his own lifeboat.

Date: July 05, 2019 10:04PM

Puddington wrote:
"This whole resignation and disappearance of Gary Hargrave is cause for concern. I guess he never had a shepherd’s heart after all. So much for the care of the sheep."

He's always prided himself in not withdrawing under pressure, standing his ground,
drinking the cup (the only one in the fellowship who apparently did it). My guess is that he working on some things behind the scenes, building support and when he feels strong enough, he'll return to his confrontational ways. We'll see. We've already received credible reports he has a support network in Brazil, and people have rejected Silas but are remaining loyal to him. It appears the oneness facade between Gary and Silas has officially crumbled.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2019 10:06PM by changedagain.

Date: July 05, 2019 11:13PM

From September of 2018:

Posted by: Cloudwatcher
Date: September 25, 2018 09:59PM

"I apologize for my skepticism and sarcasm if it offends anyone. I do think that the full disclosure as outlined by 40 years would truly show that there has been a change--a phenomenal change that could have such a positive impact and healing. If it were true that this is what the leadership of tlwf does want, and people would face up to legal/criminal acts -- names divulged for the sake of justice..... This would actually be the miracle we all would welcome--to a man and a woman on this forum and beyond. It would be kudos for sure.

Forgiveness is one thing--even murderers are forgiven by God and victim's families--many times throughout history. But they still face justice, they still serve their time. So to use the concept of forgiveness as a big stick to beat people into compliance to excuse and cover up wrongdoing is just wrong and has caused unfathomable harm to the innocent. Let's not forget the innocent.

And also remember that everyone of the little people in TLWF was innocent and did not deserve what happened to them..robbed of their autonomy and right to be free. And it was not only the fault of JRS, though he was beloved and would never have wanted what happened following his death--but the rod of iron of the new rulers, Gary and Marilyn.

And it took a lot of beatings to bring people to this forum using anonymous identities a lot of destruction to the core. Not one of us wants another beating in our life. So excuse some of the harsh rhetoric and call it what it is...unresolved memories of countless lives ruined. So lets keep the blame where it belongs--squarely on Gary Hargrave. It is in his court to do the right thing. But I for one am not holding my breath."

Yeah, neither am I.

Date: July 06, 2019 09:19AM

From October of 2018:

Posted by: changedagain
Date: October 26, 2018 12:36AM

Are those who sought counseling due to Rick's transgressions not wanting the nature of their complaint(s) against him being exposed?
Or is the ministries that received this 'confession' not wanting people to be aware of what information they were privy to all these years?
What is the intent of this 'clergy/penitent privilege?'
Is it really meant to shield the ministry from charges of wrongdoing (covering up abuse), under the guise of protecting those who had the courage to speak up about a predator?
It seems like this 'privilege' is being used for an unintended purpose. Once again, something being twisted by TLWF leadership...it shouldn't be surprising after 65+ years.

Posted by: aroe
Date: October 25, 2018 08:40PM

Clergy-penitent privilege never stopped a congregant’s personal and private information from being shouted from the pulpit until it was necessary to cover for Rick’s disgusting behavior.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 09:27AM by changedagain.

Date: July 06, 2019 09:23AM

From August of 2018:

Posted by: Onion
Date: August 25, 2018 02:10PM

Gross negligence and more can be found in the reports of abuse about the church ministries, Rick, and any number of other people involved in supporting, facilitating and protecting Rick. With the underage sexual assaults, failure to report by a mandatory reporter (clergy) is a felony. Where churches such as TLWF try to hide behind the pastor/penitent privilege -- if the information came from the victim, there would be NO application of the privilege for the perpetrator. I would estimate dozens of felony violations have occurred and will continue to occur until someone puts a stop to it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.