Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: kbyrne ()
Date: May 29, 2019 12:32AM

NancyB -- Thank for your perspective as a long-time member of the Washington, IA church. I knew very little about the church when I went to Shiloh in 1975. I'm not sure if it was always the case, but at some point it became an "us and them," dynamic. I regret to say that out of arrogance, I (and I think others as well from Shiloh) believed that we were the more enlightened ones. Without the members from Washington, IA, Shiloh would not have happened or certainly would have never functioned. Mike and Gladys in the kitchen, Hazel in housekeeping, Ken R. in construction, Milton (?) K., ran the truck garden,The Gingriches, Riches, Benders and Nislys, major contributors to the functioning of Shiloh. I believe all of them were native Iowans, with the possible exception of Ken R.

So from my memory of my time in Shiloh, ('75 to '80) to answer what questions I can.

1. If you did garden work what did "Shiloh" do to help prevent injury and dehydration? Anything? did you have any training about how to work with any tools or how to avoid injury; sunburns, dehydration? Why or why not? How old were you?

I specifically went to Shiloh in 1975 to work in the garden. On-the-job training. Never remember being told anything about dehydration or sunburn. I was 19.

2. Complaints about not enough food for the amount of work you did. Can you make a list of typical menus? Why do you think the food was limited?

I remember it being wholesome food, lots of veggies. Bender Butter and bread was a favorite staple. I don't remember feeling deprived. Although, I do remember that some of the guys figured out how to take the doors of the locked walk-in fridge. Gladys was not too happy when a few pies would go missing.

3. Who prepared the food? Who did the dishes? What were the eating accommodations? Who planned the menus? Where did the food come from? Who PAID for the food Shiloh ate?

Gladys and Mike were in charge of the kitchen from what I remember. I remember doing dishes, serving, and cleanup. We ate cafeteria style.
I learned to can from Sister Rich, Gingerich, Bender, and Maime. They all seemed to be involved in some way with the kitchen, from my memory.
I do remember getting a warning about being watchful so that canners on the stove didn't blowup. I'm not sure who paid for the food. I believe at least some money was raised through the Truck Farm.

BTW did you thank Gladys for all her hard work in the kitchen?

I don't remember if I did or not. I think everyone loved Gladys, although she could lovingly strike fear in your heart if you tried to snitch a bit of extra food.

4. How did you pay for your room and board at Shiloh?

No, I did not pay. I'm not sure how I could have on $80 a month.

5. Why did you come to Shiloh? What prepared you to move into Shiloh?

I was in the Valley Church and they asked for volunteers to work in the garden. I thought that Shiloh was going to be the Mecca for the walk, that all roads led to Shiloh. At that time I wanted to immerse myself totally in the walk and that seemed like the way to do it. My only prep was living in a communal home.

6. What were your expectations for your personal responsibility at Shiloh?

I don't know that I really thought about it in those terms. I don't remember if we were told "to behave" while in Kalona, but the first few years in particular, I had little contact outside Shiloh and Washington, IA. I remember very little oversight those first few years. We kind of did our own thing, but we had lots of jobs to do and very little free time, plus attending services, etc., that kept us occupied.

7. Did you expect hotel services? If so, who would be the staff and paid them or did you expect volunteers? When you "got the word" or invitation to go to Shiloh did you expect to have a job? Or did you just show up? (Washington people have no idea how so many people got to Shiloh and why.)

No, I never expected hotel services. I was expected to work full time in the garden, which I did, which is what I signed up for, along with doing kitchen chores.

8. Did you have a job? How were selected for any jobs you did and how well were you trained? How much were you paid? did you pay income tax? why or why not? Did you pay into Soc Security? Why or why not?

I was paid $80 a month. With that I bought all personal items, shampoo, clothes, etc. I did from time to time get outside work during downtime at Shiloh; The Calendar Factory, Osincup's Drug Store, Hy-Vee. I never made enough in those five years to file a tax return. It brings up a good point, how was the money we were paid accounted for on the books of Shiloh or on TLW's end of things? Were we shown as employees? I eventually got involved full time in transcribing, first working out of the Washington, IA church, and then in Shiloh. That was a 24-7 commitment.

4. What was a typical schedule at Shiloh? How much time did you spend learning the Bible and how to pray? Did you sing worship songs? Was the music contemporary, rock, heavy metal or rap ? acapella or instruments? What were typical things?

For most of the year, it was up at 6:00 a.m., worked until 5:00 p.m., then services in the evening. Although in the heat of the summer, I believe we started earlier, ended earlier, and returned to work in the cooler part of the evening. Of course, throw in chicken catching mostly in the evenings or on a weekend, if my memory is correct, and that would be after you worked all day. We had services, intercession, worship every night. We were encouraged to attend all services in Washington, IA, which we did. A bus would take us. There was multiple services on Sunday, I believe two in Washington, IA, and two at Shiloh. Again, it's been a long time so .... We sang some older more traditional worship songs, but seems like old songs often got new lyrics. I seem to remember more acapella in Shiloh. I believe there was a piano, but I could very well be mistaken on that.

5. Were you screened with a back ground check before you worked with children if you did?

I worked in the nursery during Washington, IA services, I believe on a rotating basis. And, no, there was never any background check. I babysat for the Finneys and the Corbetts, and a few times for the Mahaffeys.

I also "babysat" two members of the Washington, IA church, at different time at Shiloh who were suffering for severe mental illness. One was severely depressed and one was schizophrenic. I had absolutely ZERO training of any kind. I had no idea what I was doing. They slept most of the time. But how crazy is that???

6. Shiloh is said to be a non-profit Christian education and conference center.

How were you "oriented" into the church group?

How much time did the leadership spend on teaching you doctrine of the church? In a paragraph can you state the Christian doctrine practiced at Shiloh?

We were indoctrinated every day. Our focus was singular, get JRS into the Kingdom and he would take us with him. Slay the Nephilim through violent intercession. We were either releasing something or binding something.

Thanks for your patience forum members. As we put together puzzle pieces on our trauma I believe the good community of Washington who opened their arms deserves some real honest answers form real people who were involved in Shiloh.

I don't know how to answer for 1,000 of other people when my old classmates ask me. It is their business to ask. I want to give an honest answer as they expect from me.

There were many wonderful people in Washington, IA, that were not treated with the respect they deserved. For that I am sorry. I have many, many fond memories of members of the church. They were genuine people and genuine in their desire to be part of Shiloh. They deserved better.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: May 29, 2019 12:36AM

FCSLC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember a special counseling meeting where my
> wife and I had to appear before the two governing
> shepherds and their wives in Salt Lake City. The
> meeting was held in the evening in one of the
> shepherd’s home basement. We were informed in no
> uncertain terms that we had no rights at all
> except that of a higher confirmation. After much
> heated conflict because of our obvious “rebellion”
> and unwillingness to cave we were asked, “Are you
> even in this thing?” I don’t remember answering
> one way or another. I do remember that it felt
> like my whole world was caving in.

> Not to boast, but to support the strong feelings I
> have for individual liberty, especially in
> retrospect of the Vietnam War and the draft, my
> time spent on the gun line in the Gulf of Tonkin
> for the great cause of individual liberty for all
> men/women ministers more to me now than ever
> before; and that which those LW Shepherds tried to
> impose upon my wife and I so long ago I consider
> to be treason against the goals of our great
> nation.

A belated thanks for your service, FCSLC.
An excellent, timeless post.
Not having tyrannical authority control our thoughts & actions is intrinsic to individual freedom and certainly something worth fighting for.

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: May 29, 2019 02:10AM

I'm still binge reading - I felt this post was valuable it bears repeating.

e.

corboy Wrote:
> We need to remember that there is healthy
> narcissism - we each need some
> in order to believe and FEEL we are God's
> children, that creaturely as we are,
> the Creator is mindful of us. This coexists with
> being able to enjoy other people's company and not
> get despairing or enraged if we meet with an
> ordinary setback.
>
> It is when narcissism is way out of hand that
> other people are used and harmed.
>
> [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
>
>

More recent research detected a further
> high?functioning variant, which is outgoing,
> energetic and articulate, with an exaggerated
> sense of self?importance
>
> The fact that narcissistic personality disorder is
> not a monolithic entity creates challenges for the
> diagnostician and the psychotherapist. In keeping
> with the notion that the key to diagnosis lies in
> the quality of love relationships, we suggest that
> a careful examination of modes of relatedness is
> crucial7.
>
> As Kohut stressed, some patients who are
> narcissistically organized tend to idealize
> others so that they can bask in the reflected
> glory of an idealized object
. They may insist
> on the most famous psychotherapist or pick a
> romantic partner purely on his/her looks so that
> others will be impressed.
>
> The grandiose high functioning type may attract a
> lot of followers who have this second, 'Golden
> Calf' type of self centeredness.
>
> What makes things really complicated is that a
> grandiose, self centered NPD
> may actually accomplish a lot of good in
> altruistic ministries and professions.
>
> They can attract hardworking followers who make
> excuses for them even after their hero's behavior
> deteriorates. Other disciples who begin to have
> misgivings may feel afraid to trust their feelings
> for fear of being reprimanded.
>
> But their families and close disciples pay the
> highest price in neglect. I saw some hidden
> tragedies years ago when in the peace movement.
>
> You can do heroic social justice work, have lots
> of adoring followers, bask in
> their adoration, while they bask in your fame and
> heroism. Meanwhile, you may
> be neglectful to your family, or worse, be cruel
> to them in private. If they
> try to tell anyone the truth, they will not be
> believed. Worse, they are often
> forced to put on a smiling front in public.
>
> 40yearsin2016 wrote:
>
>

How many times did I hear JRS talk about
> being re-energized in his spirit when preaching -
> being able to go on for hours without any
> fatigue.
>
> The professionals have a term for this:
> narcissistic supplies.
>
> [www.google.com]

Date: May 29, 2019 02:12AM

This post was a follow comment from what I quote above - also so worth resharing. thanks lily rose and corboy

lily rose Wrote:
> corboy Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > 40yearsin2016 wrote:
> >
> >

> > being re-energized in his spirit when preaching
> -
> > being able to go on for hours without any
> > fatigue.
> >
> > The professionals have a term for this:
> > narcissistic supplies.
> >
> I had a few aha moments as a result of this
> conversation on narcissism. A number of posters in
> the forum have commented over the years that JRS
> never did enough to stop the members from
> idolizing him or calling him Christ. I always
> wondered why? It now seems likely to me that the
> idolization was a source of unending narcissistic
> supply. Obeying JRS's commands, admiring, revering
> and idolizing him were stable sources of supply.
> In addition, experiencing his power to read people
> and blessings first hand were all sources of
> unending narc supply.
>
> It also seems according to other writers who have
> critiqued the LW, that the heavy handed Nazi
> hierarchy JRS created was unique to the Walk.
> JRS's alleged "authority" that he derived from the
> allegedly privileged relationship JRS said he had
> with God (Holy Jim Canyon) secured supply.
> Something I read: The narcissists becomes God by
> obedience to him, following his instructions,
> loving him, succumbing. He forms a personal
> relationship with God in order
> to overpower others. I became obsessed with a
> narcissists and was stuck wondering why? I
> appreciate everyone's post. It's all becoming a
> little clearer to me.

Date: May 29, 2019 02:13AM

This post was a follow comment from what I quote above - also so worth resharing. thanks lily rose and corboyand 40

lily rose Wrote:
> corboy Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > 40yearsin2016 wrote:
> >
> >

> > being re-energized in his spirit when preaching
> -
> > being able to go on for hours without any
> > fatigue.
> >
> > The professionals have a term for this:
> > narcissistic supplies.
> >
> I had a few aha moments as a result of this
> conversation on narcissism. A number of posters in
> the forum have commented over the years that JRS
> never did enough to stop the members from
> idolizing him or calling him Christ. I always
> wondered why? It now seems likely to me that the
> idolization was a source of unending narcissistic
> supply. Obeying JRS's commands, admiring, revering
> and idolizing him were stable sources of supply.
> In addition, experiencing his power to read people
> and blessings first hand were all sources of
> unending narc supply.
>
> It also seems according to other writers who have
> critiqued the LW, that the heavy handed Nazi
> hierarchy JRS created was unique to the Walk.
> JRS's alleged "authority" that he derived from the
> allegedly privileged relationship JRS said he had
> with God (Holy Jim Canyon) secured supply.
> Something I read: The narcissists becomes God by
> obedience to him, following his instructions,
> loving him, succumbing. He forms a personal
> relationship with God in order
> to overpower others. I became obsessed with a
> narcissists and was stuck wondering why? I
> appreciate everyone's post. It's all becoming a
> little clearer to me.

Date: May 29, 2019 02:25AM

Another must quote again and re share with a link to a great reference on tlw history and "Christian doctrine." Thanks NickleandDimed

NickleandDimed Wrote:
> An ex-pat told me some of the posts by Apostle Dog
> and Larry Bobo changed his thinking. He once
> thought that John's ministry was a move of God.
> And he was part of it. He sent me a link that goes
> further. Into the difference between what John
> taught and mainstream Christianity.
>
>
>
>
> [books.google.com]

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: May 29, 2019 02:28AM

kbyrne
We were indoctrinated every day. Our focus was singular, get JRS into the Kingdom and he would take us with him. Slay the Nephilim through violent intercession. We were either releasing something or binding something.

Thanks for your patience forum members. As we put together puzzle pieces on our trauma I believe the good community of Washington who opened their arms deserves some real honest answers form real people who were involved in Shiloh.

I don't know how to answer for 1,000 of other people when my old classmates ask me. It is their business to ask. I want to give an honest answer as they expect from me.

There were many wonderful people in Washington, IA, that were not treated with the respect they deserved. For that I am sorry. I have many, many fond memories of members of the church. They were genuine people and genuine in their desire to be part of Shiloh. They deserved better.

I couldn't agree more, kbyrne. I spent several years in Washington, IA in the pre-Shiloh days when build-up to ground-breaking was still being dreamt of. I know how wonderful and sincere those people were and are. They were so excited to be called upon to host such an ambitious undertaking. I have a special place in my heart for all of them too. And so many of them gave their all to be part of the grand vision. When YASP and the summer camps/amphitheater shows started up in the nineties, they were still there, carrying the burden. And when camp was over, they were still there doing all the work that needed to be done.

As for the towns of Washington, Kalona, and surrounding areas, they had no idea what hit them. They did not deserve to have a large group of strangers invading the area en masse with such little regard for their way of life. The Walk attitude was already dismissive and condescending to “others”. But the flood of people coming into Washington County in the late 1970s were not encouraged to respect the ways of the people already living there. If anything, the contempt and disdainful attitude was in some ways modeled by some Shiloh authorities, in my opinion. Add on the Jonestown tragedy, which nearly coincided with the Shiloh phenomenon, and it's no wonder that locals were frightened and skeptical.

I recently watched the Netflix documentary Wild, Wild Country and thought of Washington, IA. If you haven't seen it, it's about the cult leader, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, and his followers who took over the town of Antelope, Oregon in the early 1980s. Granted, the Iowa/Walk/Shiloh experience was minus the wiretapping and poisoning that occurred in Oregon. But the idea is similar. Here's a link to an article [people.com].

Thank you, kbyrne for your awesome answers to NancyB's questions. I hope that others who were there will chime in as well. After all that has happened, I believe that we're all in this together.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2019 02:51AM by Reepicheep.

Date: May 29, 2019 02:54AM

Thanks to Rick Ross I figured out why I feel guilty for being involved in the walk. Here's quote and link

rick ross cult education
The real soldiers who survived the Korean War and returned to the United States carried with them the stigma and guilt of having been captured and having survived the war and their interrogations. "Survivor's guilt" is a common trait among prisoners of war.

So brainwashing became a pejorative, and the phrase "you've been brainwashed," a term of reproach, as if the prisoner had become addlebrained, or a simpleton, during his captivity.

[www.culteducation.com]
rick ross cult education

Date: May 29, 2019 03:21AM

kbyrne and reep, thank you so much for the kind words about Washington, Iowa. With a few former members acknowledging the lack of respect by some of the Shiloh members will be much appreciated by my family and friends. Thank you

Date: May 29, 2019 03:36AM

Thank you kbyne for the graciously worded response. Your kind and honest words will be appreciated.

I am so happy you got to spend time with Mike & Gladys; Maime and the Benders - I miss my old friends dearly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.