Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Prettyboy ()
Date: January 02, 2019 11:32PM

wow. I only learned of the LW's recent events/unraveling a few days ago and then last evening spent about 3 hours reading the posts/comments of the previous 2 1/2 months. like I began "wow".

I likely have blown my anonymity with my username so I will somewhat circumspect in what I write. a brief bio - I was one of the early ones to come from calif. to kalona, in late spring 1972, to help with the early construction of Shiloh. I lived on enos bender's farm with about 6 or 7 others including enos and received $25/month for "essentials. at that time and even today I regard that time as well spent in my maturation process. I am not bitter about the 6 years I spent in "the walk", hence, do not consider myself as a "survivor". I do consider myself as a graduate FROM "the walk", not a graduate OF "the walk" - to me there is a vast difference in my choice of preposition. I was not asked to leave, I chose to leave. I just couldn't involve myself in that violent intercession stuff which became the last straw for me. the most difficult aspect of leaving was knowing that a barrier between me and those who I called my friends, brothers and sisters whom I truly loved and the community at large (i.e., the LW community) would come to exist.

I was in a meeting with some elders and maybe fred bickhart at the lw church in Washington, iowa. I was told I had an "independent spirit"; I was about to respond by saying "geez, thanks guys" but somehow was able to divine that that characterization was not intended to be a complement. well, I certainly do not disparage myself for failing to have group think.

so that is my introduction bio. I understand that many of you have far greater grievances than do I and, as a result, have much reasonable cause for bitterness. I just caution that bitterness is a bitter pill. I think there is a line in the new testament which reads something like "do not let the sun go down on your anger."

happy new year and many happy trails,
respectfully, prettyboy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: January 02, 2019 11:47PM

Welcome Prettyboy. Thanks for sharing a portion of your bio. I think your "independent spirit" helped you extricate yourself from the walk. Good thing to have, in retrospect.

"there is a line in the new testament which reads something like "do not let the sun go down on your anger."

Perhaps we can find a workaround, like Joshua did, making the sun stand still until our work is done ;)
Joshua 10:12

Posted by: Callme? ()
Date: January 02, 2019 11:51PM

Hi yes I know this family I am or was dating there daughter and I think they are trying to grow their church and to establish new members they are very caught up in all of it I had no clue what a cult was. Until recently and learned about the walk and JRS Lou truly has visions with him and has written a new book called into the light I think they might be tring to do something crazy, the last book is out there. Also to me I have read them and they all really seem the same so I’m assuming they have been taken from someone else’s material I don’t know. But Edward and Anne kjos are definitely up to something with the sonsofgod.com

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: January 02, 2019 11:58PM

prettyBOY:

Welcome, from one 'boy' to another. You found your way out of one level of insanity before it devolved into many others.

Please feel free to chime in should anything else said here sparks your memory. There are probably few here that go all they way back to early Shiloh construction days of 1972.

I would be curious (if you can remember or are willing to divulge) the other lads who stayed with you at Enos Bender's place. I always loved Enos, worked together with him at the sawmill (1978-79), and both his young sons were in our wedding.

HAPPY New Year to you.

Date: January 03, 2019 12:01AM

BTW, one thing that became clear from my long-time involvement in TLWF was than when the sheep were upset about something, they were often chastised for having a "bad spirit." However, when the leaders would rant and rave about various things in the fellowship, they (generally) were given the benefit of the doubt, and viewed as channeling God's "righteous anger." Very convenient.
By and large it was obvious to me that the ones that needed correcting for not "ruling their spirit" or just having a downright horrible attitude, were the ones at the top of the authority chain. The level of intimidation coming from the pulpit was off the charts.
Obedience, Obedience, Obedience!

Date: January 03, 2019 12:20AM

On the subject of having a "right spirit," I think much of this anger would subside if the leaders functioned with accountability. The 'Apology letter' could gone a long way in paving the road to healing, if Gary had simply acknowledged that he was aware of Rick's behavior, and should have done something about it. That's the type of remorse that will get the attention and respect of those who suffered at the hands of lawless "ministries." Unless, of course, Gary was never aware of this systematic abuse lasting decades, in which case no one should view him as a man of God, given his utter failure to perceive what was happening in his midst. When people are hurting as a result of something that is not their fault, my first response is not going to tell them they need to have a "right spirit"...and then God will work things out. That's a guilt-trip meant to make the victim appear to be the problem. We really are living in a "new day," by our choice, and this type of mental/emotional manipulation no longer has a hold on us.
Anyway, everyone have a pleasant 2nd day of the new year :)

Posted by: Prettyboy ()
Date: January 03, 2019 12:41AM

hi kboy,

ah, the sawmill. fortunately, I rarely worked there and more fortunately, not around those large spinning disks with very sharp teeth!

late spring/summer of 1972 if memory serves me right occupants were:
enos
connie (? maiden name) who subsequently married enos, had 2 children and then suddenly left to who knows where
F sharp (loved that guy, what a character and the one who christened me with Pretty boy)
phil Holman (who was actually Anthony cox formerly married to yoko ono)
phil's wife, Melissa (? her real name)
phil's daughter, ruthie (I think her real first name was/is kyoko, Anthony cox's (aka phil Holman) and yoko ono's daughter. i.e., ruthie and kyoko are the same person.
monty ives
carol,who later married monty

I agree enos is a fine man, in my opinion virtually void of even a thread of malice. it'd great when all the unraveling gets unraveled his farm be returned to him, however unlikely.

do be advised the above information is from 45 years ago but I am confident almost all and likely all is accurate.

Date: January 03, 2019 01:05AM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pressingonbyHisgrace Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Reepicheep Wrote:
> >
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > > Changed and kBoy,
> > >
> > > Re: Being the center of the universe. Think
> JRS
> > > was narcissistic much?
> >
> >
> > "I am the neediest person in the Walk, I need
> 24/7
> > intercession."
> >
> > "I am a walking Fort Knox"
>
> Rephrased:
> "I need 24/7 adulation.
> I am a walking Fort Tox."

Snicker, snicker..!

Date: January 03, 2019 01:12AM

lexicon: press in

"to show oneself super spiritual by going to every service & standing as close to the platform as possible and vigorously amenning anything that was said"

Posted by: fool me twice ()
Date: January 03, 2019 03:22AM

Prettyboy wrote:
>>I was one of the early ones to come from calif. to kalona, in late spring 1972, to help with the early construction of Shiloh.

Do you remember the first projects you worked on in 1972? I arrived in Iowa May 1,1973, to work in a KB in Washington, IA. Shortly after that I rode on horseback all over the Shiloh property. Only the old farmhouse at entrance of Shiloh drive was on the property at that time. (That building was removed a few years later) . The kitchen and dining hall was built the winter of 1973/74. The foundation of the lodge started after that. Also Monte Ives was nearly killed in a head on accident with a semi in May or June of 1973.
Welcome to the forum and consider yourself quite fortunate your time in TLFW was as short as it was. For most of us we were not that fortunate. I am quite sure it was not an easy time during the construction of Shiloh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.