Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: LampShmamp ()
Date: December 13, 2018 09:20AM

Can anyone explain what the "unfolding" was? I have seen the term quite often, and it is often paired with another term which together seem to be walk lingo for some miraculous "spiritual" events. The significance of these events appears to be so ingrained in the culture of the group that it is assumed everyone agrees, accepts and understands it. Even though I have read the terms often in the past few weeks, no one has ever explained what in the world they are. An example would be, "Back during the Unfolding..." I doubt they are talking about laundry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Onion ()
Date: December 13, 2018 09:37AM

Build up your aura: Place your hands with open palm, palm toward your aura (about 8 - 12 inches away from your head) and stretch it out further so your aura grows and expands (invisibly of course).

Build wall of protection: Walk around your car, your house, your bed and hold your palms open toward the item you are surrounding and speak that you are building a wall of protection.

Prophecy - Speaking it into existence.

Disciplined or Controlled Spirit: Human will controls the human spirit. Set your will in submission and place your hands on your head and command your spirit to be in submission, to break a bond, to do what it's told.

Posted by: lone.wolf ()
Date: December 13, 2018 12:58PM

To all that responded to my post regarding psychological concerns about someone still in the church, thank you for the resounding confirmation that professional help is needed. It will be a long road ahead, with my hope they will finally have the freedom they deserve.

LampShmamp:

"The Unfolding" took place before I was born, so I cannot give you first hand knowledge of it (though I'm sure others here can!). I do own almost every single This Week, thanks to my parents' many copies, and I found "The Unfolding" volumes. There were nine (9) parts, with Part 1 beginning on July 5, 1981 and Part 9 ending September 14, 1981. Here is the summary of The Unfolding which is located inside the front cover; it's the same summary for each part:

"This booklet is the first edition in a series that will include gleanings from "the Unfolding." Over the next several weeks, gleanings from 'the Unfolding' messages will appear in a chronological order in This Week form. These select messages are more than a textbook. They are the catalyst of oneness and impartation. For several months, the flow of the Spirit has been building to a crescendo of impartation, a creative tidal wave in the Kingdom. Each message must be absorbed, appropriated, and put in action immediately. For the sons of God, the seers and the warring priesthood are born functioning. Instant becoming was the common experience of the services. Make no mistake about it - this is dispensational."

On the topic of TLWF terminology, I thought I would quote something from Part 1 of The Unfolding:

"If I were to change all the terminology in all of our This Weeks and our day-to-day expressions, I would change one word: 'Kingdom.' When you talk about 'the Kingdom,' people don't understand it. I would substitute the term, 'the Father's family,' for the word 'Kingdom.' The Kingdom of God is the Father's family and we love each other; we open our hearts to each other. We may go through hell and come back again, but we will still love each other. This is the Father's table. This is where the Heavenly Father says, 'You're My family.' There is no other place to go - this is it."

I remember Marti Hargrave singing a song with the words "our Father's family." It definitely had a better ring than "Kingdom." I guess the Father's table was only big enough for TLWF.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: December 13, 2018 01:58PM

Oh, dear...the flashbacks are intensifying. I need to read some of the Cult Education research to counterbalance.

All I can remember from the Unfolding and the Unwrapping series of messages is that I believe they came in the islands and they was more conversational in nature between JRS, Marilyn and others who were surrounding him at the time. Very hard to follow, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 02:10PM by Reepicheep.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: December 13, 2018 02:09PM

fool me twice
I also wish to report something I heard from a good source about the current leadership stating this last week.
Some of the 'new leadership' is still publicly stating that everything you read online is poison. I guess it's just me however I think the first time I heard that must have been about 1965 from JRS. Of course nothing was online then but the story line here is unchanged. It has always been, and it so looks like it will always be the position of the 'Leadership' to tell everyone that if 'they' have left us, blown out, gone, no longer here, sleeping in the back row, etc. then everything 'those people' have to say can not be trusted. Honestly when will enough be enough. If one person tells a story, yes, it might not be true. If twenty people say that same thing then, I am sorry but, I think it's long past time to start listening. Sorry to rant however at some point it might be a good idea for someone in a leadership role to say in all honesty we might want to listen to at least a few of 'those people'. Until then, we HEAL together and LOVE the new day"

Thanks for sharing this, fool me twice. I can't say that I'm surprised by this revelation. Their only defense is to control the information. If they can continue to convince members that they will be swallowed by the earth and damned forever if they read anything posted here with an open mind, then they can continue collecting their money and feeding the people whatever they're selling that day. So sad.

Posted by: LampShmamp ()
Date: December 13, 2018 03:50PM

The Unwrapping! That was the other one. Thanks, Lone.Wolf and Reepicheep. But I still don't get it. Was something unfolded and something unwrapped? It is mentioned so often, it must have some significance, like the kingdom showed up, or Marilyn became twice as perfect, or a timeline was offered up, or god decided to go in a different direction, or the sheep are about to be punished, or ... ?? Are the Unfolding and Unwrapping interchangeable terms, or refer to different revelations at different points in time that somehow are connected? Was everybody supposed to experience something, or are they about something unfolding and unwrapping in Gary? Did some big prophecy or promise come out of it that never came true, like the 1979 debacle? Is it positive, negative, happy, sad, edifying, or threatening? It would help me to understand what people are trying to convey as they post about "during the Unwrapping," or "after the Unfolding." The unwrapping and unfolding of what?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 04:01PM by LampShmamp.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: December 13, 2018 09:03PM

LAMPSHMAMP:

"For the sons of God, the seers and the warring priesthood . . ." sounds rather lofty these days, considering for decades, I have not thought of myself in any of those terms, nor would they be anything I would aspire to.

I would further edit JRS' edit and quote him back to himself; 'the Kingdom is RELATIONSHIP'. This expands things even further because the experience of RELATIONSHIP includes all of LIFE in any form, and thus becomes all-inclusive, like LOVE.

UNFOLDING/UNWRAPPING:

These events significantly affected our lives in many ways. We lived in LA while these were occurring in the islands during the summers of 1981-82 respectively, I believe. (We disposed of all TLW materials so I cannot reference any source.)

They represented the highlight of RELATIONSHIP without position. Just standing, sitting, laying around like normal people and having conversations--RELATING. That's what happened in LA at the services--they became these free-wheeling conversations of just getting together to enjoy each other--think of everyone being accepted as equals. Just compare that with a standard, tightly-scripted TLW service, and which would you choose?

The Unfolding happened during the summer of 1981, but the impact of it didn't really hit LA until the spring of 1982, when services morphed into the above description--FREEDOM bordering on 'anarchy' and a lot of fun.

Word got out fast to the outlying churches and people started streaming in from everywhere. Because Phoenix was within reasonable driving distance to LA, folks from there showed up almost every weekend for some time.

Half of the DC church re-located to LA over the coming months. I bring up DC because in an effort to 'replenish the stock' of those who had emigrated from there, we were sent from LA to DC to do just that--but that is a story for another day.

To cut things short, both the Unfolding/Unwrapping events were probably the highlight of TLW culture, when there was a moment where position was temporarily set aside in favor of RELATIONSHIP. It all went to hell with the passing of JRS and the ushering in of the G&M era.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 09:15PM by kBOY.

Posted by: Tmason ()
Date: December 13, 2018 09:20PM

Another piece of information for those still searching like I am.
What I picked up the most was that there doesn't seem to be any "accidental" cults.
The means and methods the cult employs in controlling the members require deliberate, planned and coordinated actions to succeed. As a cult leader you cannot indoctrinate victims into a loose set of ideologies and exert no mind control if you wish to grow your congregation. You must have a plan at all times and stick to it...like any other business. At least that's my take away. Its all 100% intentional and designed to suck the money (work is money also right?) right out of you.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: December 13, 2018 09:27PM

ONION:
(JESUSjesusJESUS):

Duly noted and updated. Thanks.

Posted by: Tmason ()
Date: December 13, 2018 09:30PM

Reepicheep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, dear...the flashbacks are intensifying. I need
> to read some of the Cult Education research to
> counterbalance.
>
> All I can remember from the Unfolding and the
> Unwrapping series of messages is that I believe
> they came in the islands and they was more
> conversational in nature between JRS, Marilyn and
> others who were surrounding him at the time. Very
> hard to follow, IMO.

Sounds like alcohol, weed and maybe some pills together with lots of sex and counting of monies. Perhaps they were rolling around on the pile of cash while doing all of the above.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.