Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Onion ()
Date: September 12, 2018 09:49AM

Tknc -

So much about what you said about storms breaks my heart.

First of all, thanks to Kboy for being so eloquent and correct in what he conveyed. Not only did you NOT have anything to do with making Katrina, the folks in the walk churches were goofy when they (we) believed JRS, Marilyn, controlled the weather. I also think they (we) were goofy in believing in God's judgment in that way. The only reason we were taught anything about judgment and scary stuff was so they could keep us in line with THEIR agenda.

And second - I hate any attitude that groups people together and calls them sinners who deserve judgment. I don't believe it and it's one of the sticking points that helped me see that I wanted nothing to do with the teachings of the walk anymore. I believe in inclusion NOT exclusion. I believe in open hearts not closed doors to people who don't fit certain molds. I don't agree with just living a willy-nilly dissipated life (like many of the walk leaders continue to do) but when people are lost, they don't deserve judgment. They deserve kindness and an open door. My two cents.

Thanks RoadTD - Reading those research papers answered a lot and broke my heart a lot too.

Onward and upward folks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: September 12, 2018 05:34PM

ONION, thanks for the compliment.

Your first point addresses the absolute hubris of the ideology that we ended up purchasing with our lives. Believing we held the joystick regarding outcomes related to weather, finance, politics, and most importantly, judgment, was the height of insanity. Let us all forgive ourselves for that.

Your second point addresses the severity of the paradigm shift that occurs when transitioning from being exclusive to embracing inclusion. The Judeo/Christian/Islamic tradition is founded on an us-versus-them worldview; the chosen and then everybody else. You do not find this mindset in Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, etc., where each basically says, "This is how we see 'reality' and how we choose to celebrate it," and never claim that, "WE are the 'ones'."

Your new paradigm of openness and inclusion is the liberation that embraces the whole of life, liberty and happiness. It deconstructs a previous paradigm of viewing life in hierarchy, and improves our vision enough to embrace the beauty in life, where all may look different but are really the same.

Blasphemy, I know . . .

Date: September 12, 2018 11:33PM

kBOY - Love your blasphemy.

Posted by: Tknc ()
Date: September 12, 2018 11:45PM

It's easy to see how one could get so wrapped up in this world view...I mean who doesn't want to be told they could have special powers to control the very forces of nature. I have to fight the feeling that I gave up those powers when I walked away and remember that I never had them to begin with.

Posted by: walknntalkn ()
Date: September 13, 2018 02:02AM

Have any of you ever been in contact with Woodrow Nichols or Anthony Cox, of Vain Glory fame? I have seen rumors on this forum that Nichols passed away, but I'm interested in finding out more about him, and if he is still living, getting in touch with him. Please don't hesitate to send me a PM or an email at walkn.n.talkn@gmail.com if you have any information in this regard. Thank you!

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: September 13, 2018 03:20AM

Tknc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's easy to see how one could get so wrapped up
> in this world view...I mean who doesn't want to be
> told they could have special powers to control the
> very forces of nature. I have to fight the feeling
> that I gave up those powers when I walked away and
> remember that I never had them to begin with.

One of the big reliefs of being out of TLWF is the realization that there is nothing wrong in experiencing the joys of small accomplishments. I'm sure controlling the weather, elections, international finance, professional sporting events etc. is something I'll eventually mature into (perhaps when I turn 90), but right now I'm finding satisfaction in the more mundane things. Like getting my sh*t on someone's calendar. That's an area where I've made significant progress.

Date: September 13, 2018 05:06AM

Changedagain - Thanks for always making me laugh.

Another really good thing about being out of TLWF is ANIMALS. Loving all animals is a good thing and even having pets is a very joyful thing. TLWF was supportive of having secrets and affairs but not of having pets. Go figure.

Posted by: Cloudwatcher ()
Date: September 13, 2018 05:15AM

Onion Wrote:
> Changedagain - Thanks for always making me laugh.
>
> Another really good thing about being out of TLWF
> is ANIMALS. Loving all animals is a good thing and
> even having pets is a very joyful thing. TLWF was
> supportive of having secrets and affairs but not
> of having pets. Go figure.

Also, nature itself was considered futility. It really spoiled the enjoyment of the outdoors for me. So many things were spoiled like Christmas and Easter--it really breaks my heart to know that I didn't see life or enjoy it for what it was--my life was never acceptable.

Posted by: Cloudwatcher ()
Date: September 13, 2018 05:16AM

Thanks KBoy. Your thoughts are very valuable. I am glad you are expressing them a little more. We need to hear what you have to say.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: September 13, 2018 05:35AM

Onion Wrote:
> Changedagain - Thanks for always making me laugh.
>
> Another really good thing about being out of TLWF
> is ANIMALS. Loving all animals is a good thing and
> even having pets is a very joyful thing.

Yes!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.