Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: August 30, 2018 05:26AM

Knowing that TLW has survived seven decades of promoting 'it's a new day' . . .

M A R K E T I N G

Sustaining
illusions

involves

constant
marketing

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: August 30, 2018 09:48AM

The link below. To another critique on thought reform, mind control, brainwashing. Has some good nuggets. Even Ronald Enroth is rethinking. In a letter to the links authors. Enroth says, "You do not have my permission to represent my 1977 writing about thought reform and brainwashing as my current position on the topic. That doesn't necessarily mean that I necessarily disavow what I said then; it means that it is not academically/professionally current and I have not had time, nor the inclination, to update, in writing in this area." Enroth has retired. He taught at Westmont College in Santa Barbara since the 70's. When there was a LW church in SB. A few LW student members attended Westmont College.

[www.answers.org]

Posted by: Cloudwatcher ()
Date: August 30, 2018 09:59AM

NickleandDimed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The link below. To another critique on thought
> reform, mind control, brainwashing. Has some good
> nuggets. Even Ronald Enroth is rethinking. In a
> letter to the links authors. Enroth says, "You do
> not have my permission to represent my 1977
> writing about thought reform and brainwashing as
> my current position on the topic. That doesn't
> necessarily mean that I necessarily disavow what I
> said then; it means that it is not
> academically/professionally current and I have not
> had time, nor the inclination, to update, in
> writing in this area." Enroth has retired. He
> taught at Westmont College in Santa Barbara since
> the 70's. When there was a LW church in SB. A few
> LW student members attended Westmont College.
>
>
>
> [www.answers.org]

Your Point?

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: August 30, 2018 10:15AM

Wow N&D. First you reference Scientology for this mission you are on. Now you reference another kooky cult, the Jesus People USA.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Of course these cult sites will try to say that religious brainwashing doesn’t exist. Sorry N&D, but I’m not buying it.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: August 30, 2018 11:11AM

Cloudwatcher Wrote:

> Your Point?

I think he is trying to lay the groundwork for claiming that TLWF leaders never practiced coercive persuasion (brainwashing) on the fellowship, since it doesn't exist in the first place. People's wills were honored, and whatever they decided to do was not the result of being unduly influenced by leadership. He keeps pushing this point on behalf of TLWF, because the organization needs to distance itself from any appearance of pressuring/manipulating people into doing things they ordinarily wouldn't do (such as not reporting a sexual predator)--which could have serious legal consequences. It's a big deal.
Anyway, welcome back N & D. Your points (or whoever is providing them for you) are making little headway in the forum, but like Gary and company, you certainly are persistent. Repeatedly spreading misinformation can eventually have an impact, so I suspect we'll be hearing more from you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2018 11:15AM by changedagain.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: August 30, 2018 11:23AM

!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2018 11:24AM by changedagain.

Date: August 30, 2018 04:58PM

Drinking the Kool-Aid on a daily basis causes one to believe that we drink for our health and that badly stained lips are a normal side-effect . . .

S A N E

Insanity is
perfectly

sane

to the
insane

Date: August 30, 2018 05:11PM

Believing in something is not necessarily a bad thing except when it comes to illusion . . .

B A D

Falsehoods
would not be

so bad

if they were
the TRUE

Posted by: Tmason ()
Date: August 30, 2018 11:37PM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cloudwatcher Wrote:
>
> > Your Point?
>
> I think he is trying to lay the groundwork
> for claiming that TLWF leaders never practiced
> coercive persuasion (brainwashing) on the
> fellowship, since it doesn't exist in the first
> place. People's wills were honored, and whatever
> they decided to do was not the result of
> being unduly influenced by leadership. He keeps
> pushing this point on behalf of TLWF, because the
> organization needs to distance itself from any
> appearance of pressuring/manipulating people into
> doing things they ordinarily wouldn't do (such as
> not reporting a sexual predator)--which
> could have serious legal consequences. It's a big
> deal.
> Anyway, welcome back N & D. Your points (or
> whoever is providing them for you) are making
> little headway in the forum, but like Gary and
> company, you certainly are persistent. Repeatedly
> spreading misinformation can eventually have an
> impact, so I suspect we'll be hearing more from
> you.

The writing style and punctuation misuse drives me insane. N&D, you need to get an adult to do the typing for your posts.
As for the content of the posts and the possible motive or intent I offer the following insight.
"Coercive Persuasion" or "Brainwashing" are red herrings. To argue these points in the context of liability belies that fact that you will never get this argument into a court of law.
Neither of the above methods of influencing behavior are required for the manipulators behavior towards the victim(s) to reach an actionable level, either civil or criminal.
The real issue with TLW and other cults like it is that the courts in the US almost never intervene in matters of religious philosophy.

"Congress shall make NO LAW regarding the establishment of religion......"

Because TLW has brilliantly used the legal system (on every possible level, from legal formation of corporation and entities to liability) as a shield it has made it impossible for lesser educated person to see around and identify its weaknesses.

I believe that People don't report things because the risk outweighs the reward. The risk of being ostracized (from your biological and spiritual) family is real. The risk of personal attacks and reprisals is very real. At the end of the day TLW is a con game hiding behind a "religion" that is protected by the US Constitution.

SO... the finest most sophisticated con games are run by scum bags that will meet their maker one day and be called to account. Jesus was very clear on the ramifications of perverse proselytizing of the sheep.

If retribution (against those that deceive you in the name of the lord) on this earth is your goal then best of luck to you.

If your goal is to protect the hearts, minds and souls of the (as of yet) unmolested, then a nobler cause may not be found. The risks of such nobility are real and WILL be incurred by the pioneers. I will never deny or lie about that which was done to me by pedophiles and perverts (in TLW ) but being the first to come forward and proclaim to the world the truth, takes a special person.

"The Pioneers take the arrows"

These are just my rambling thoughts and opinions regarding the possible motives of N&D's posts and the fact that I believe them (N&D's posts) to be intentionally misleading to the victims. Put another way, if you attack TLW legally based on the notions of Brainwashing or Coercive persuasion you will fail and the TLW will prevail on freedom of religion grounds.

Posted by: cultfree ()
Date: August 31, 2018 02:42AM

Nickle and Dimes is gaslighting, plain and simple.

They are trying to make us doubt our own feelings and experiences, and accept their strange apologist rationalization of what goes on at TLWF. They're a plant, a mole, an insider. It's telling that TLWF doesn't have a more effective messenger that they can drop in to our forum. Nickle and Dimed is the best they've got, and that says an awful lot about the state of things in the leadership of TLWF. The best they can do is send a halfwit in to the lions den, equipped with nothing but thinly veiled rationalizations about what Gary, Marilyn, Rick and the rest of them are up to.

Hey Nickle:
Don't you feel somewhere deep inside that you are fighting a feeling of cognitive dissonance? Where your internal feeling is that you are defending something that is wrong (or at very least is suspect), while you're stubbornly adhering to the talking points that someone fed you? We've all felt like that, and let me tell you, the free air that we breathe now is incredible. We don't have to lie any more. We don't have to be culpable in the lies that other people tell. We're just free. Join us.

To everyone else:
Don't entertain the rationalizations that N&D is putting forward. They want you to deny how you feel, what your inner voice is telling you, and what you know to be the truth. You've denied the truth for so long, and you don't need to do it any more. Stay strong. You're powerful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.