Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: GoingRogue ()
Date: July 19, 2018 01:59AM

Just in case the people in charge never thought about this before, children need to obtain a work permit for both paid and unpaid work. They must be at least 14 years old.

Child Labor Laws

Child Labor laws dictate the hours youth may work, how many hours per week may be worked, the times of the year youth may work, types of jobs or occupations they may have, and when work permits or Certificates of Age are required.

In Iowa, both federal and state child labor laws apply.

Iowa law requires youth to obtain a child labor form (work permit, form 62-2203) from an issuing officer to give to employers.  At the University of Iowa, departments are required to obtain these forms at the departmental level and to keep them on file at the departmental level.  These forms may be kept in the employee’s personnel file.A work permit applies to minors ages 14 or 15 years old for most jobs in Iowa.The child labor form is required for paid and unpaid (volunteer) workers.Iowa youth may not work with hazardous equipment or hazardous materials.There is nothing in the statutes regarding how long an employer needs to keep a Child Labor form, but it is recommended 3 years as a reasonable amount of time.If there is a break in service and the 14 or 15 year old is coming back to the same job, there is no reason to complete a new form.  This would mean that there is no change in the number of hours the minor is working, the duties assigned are the same, and the equipment they are using is the same.

For additional resources for child labor regulations, please refer to the Iowa Division of Labor.

[hr.uiowa.edu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2018 02:22AM by GoingRogue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 19, 2018 03:06AM

They started offering study halls for the kids that do homeschooling because the public system has problems. My kid (a straight A student) was having difficulty with peers and bullying, etc in the.public system, and we didnt like the influence of peers and some of the things being taught in the public system. So Shiloh decided to allow the kids who wanted to do homeschooling a place to go to do their work. Volunteers ran the study halls, and they did band, gym, etc there. It is the homeschooling program through MidPrairie school district, so that part of it is legit. We placed all of our kids in this program. And I personally like homeschooling and what kids can learn from it.

But they would also pull the kids out of the classrooms to do various projects around Shiloh, like cleaning, working in the kitchen, setting up and tearing down for functions and events, etc., and it became more and more often. That was a little bothersome.

And yes, you had to pay to have your kids there even tho the volunteers were unpaid, so all that money went to the church. Last year we had kids there it was 80 dollars a child a month, and there were about 15 kids there. Pretty nice monthly chunk of change for the church and free labor to boot.

Posted by: Tmason ()
Date: July 20, 2018 01:18AM

GoingRogue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tmason Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I am a product of the Kingdom school system.
> Not
> > sure when they went to "home school" as a model
> > but from 1972 to 1983 I attended in Shiloh and
> DC.
> > What a mess. I remember hiding under blankets
> > (presumably from the neighbors) in the back of
> a
> > station wagon while they pulled in and closed
> the
> > door behind us. Living at the farm house (now
> the
> > front page photo of Marilyn Farms website)
> bailing
> > hay, feeding cattle, planting corn, artificial
> > insemination, you name it, the work didn't
> stop.
> > SO....asking today's victims to work isn't new
> at
> > all.
>
> That sounds dreadful, Tmason. You had to hide
> under blankets so the neighbors wouldn't see that
> they were running a school? Do you know why? That
> can't be a good sign. And when students graduated,
> were they qualified to go on to get a higher
> education if they wished?
>
> Red flags:
> *Non-compliance with child labor laws
> *Qualified teachers
> *Ability to grant a valid diploma
> *Students are prepared and qualified for entrance
> into higher learning establishments

The law is always a tricky thing. There is a (minors) farming exemption in FLSA that permits those "standing in place of a parent" to put the kids to work on the farm.
I found many, many of my teachers to be of superior quality really. Many were educated and had their hearts in the job so I fault them none. The teachers were just victims of the cult like everyone else. Upon attending public school in 1983 I discovered that for the subjects taught in both the Kingdom school and the Public School, I was at least a grade ahead of the public school kids.
I don't know of anyone that graduated from the church school. I received a high school diploma from the Sate but I attended public HS for my last two years.
Again, I didn't find the education itself to be lacking. Socialization in the real world, or lack thereof, and never leaving the influence of the walk was a problem. I had many many terrific friends in the walk and some are doing great, others not so much. Seems like real life to me any way you slice it. I have no regrets of my own and I do not have any animus towards my parents for being in the walk, it just was what it was. Peace and Love

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: July 20, 2018 06:11AM

GSchaeff Wrote:
> Wow. It's incredibly telling of Shiloh's ulterior
> motives that they want homeschooling space at
> their facility only to turn around and treat those
> kids as hired help. It's likely that they justify
> the homeschooling space by saying the surrounding
> school districts are a bad influence on their
> kids. That said, they have no problem interrupting
> actual education for the "greater good" of
> cleaning dorms before Summer Camp or any other
> busywork that they deem pressing.
>
> Shiloh going the homeschooling route is a clear
> next step in Gary's master plan for the facility.
> That master plan leaves out his intent: Trap them
> young, cut off their experience with the outside
> world, stop their education, and put them to work.
>
> Depriving these kids of a normal grade school and
> secondary school experience is a sure way to get
> them to attend Shiloh University. By then they
> won't know anything else but Shiloh. The church
> will be 100% of their social life and their only
> outlet by age 18. Tragic, I had hoped TLW was
> cooling off but I think we are finding the
> opposite is true.

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: July 20, 2018 06:22AM

HOME schooling concept opens up a can of worms and expose Pandora's box for so many cults in general. isolation from the rest of the world in order to no "think" for yourself.

I am not against home schooling is that is really best alternative and home schooling maybe the best alternative for some families isolating in "kingdom school" does not allow children to figure out how to deal with people in every day walks of life.

I think one of the biggest hidden agendas is to not be exposed to real biblical history; to avoid reality of society is so the lambs become so dependent on the Shepard they have no idea where to go and who to turn to besides the "safe" boundaries of the Living Word.

years ago people could have walked away from Shiloh. I suspect most had no support system to go to. My concern is these home school kids who are isolate from evil will be so afraid to deal with people on the outside. this will limit serverely how they will make a living and function as adults.

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: July 20, 2018 06:45AM

Good information and wisdom regarding home schooling being used to isolate the young and leave them without a support system outside the group/cult.

I was just at the doctor and the tv was on in the waiting room showing Dr. Oz whose show was about two recent cases re: child abuse and child murder - comparing similarities in the cases. A psychiatrist said that these homes where they have dozens of children (either by birth or by fostering) become like cults when the parents isolate the children. The isolation forces the chidren to look to the parents for everything in an almost worshipful manner much like a cult leader.

There is a pattern of these isolationist parents getting reported and then moving with the kids and keeping them home in a "home school" situation thereafter so the abusers won't be exposed by having an alert teacher notice marks on a kid or noticing weird behavior that invites investigation.

Having a support system outside of the dangerous environment of the cult or any type of isolationist situation is absolutely key.

I really lacked for a support group outside of church because not only was I in the throes of being dedicated to be "front line" which meant cutting off everyone outside of that sphere, but I had so many family members all around me that were also part of the cult group (and still are).

I have read that keeping a loving contact with family or friends still in the cults is crucial to helping them when they are ready. They need to know they have a safe place to turn where they won't be criticized for seeing red flags in the group -- and obviously where they won't be treated like slaves or as if they have no value as individuals.

I am so thankful for this group - thoughtful and intelligent conversation is wonderful.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: July 20, 2018 10:17PM

Onion Wrote:

> Having a support system outside of the dangerous
> environment of the cult or any type of
> isolationist situation is absolutely key.

So true. Isolation traps a person...providing no viable alternate to the stifling environment they've become accustomed to. I think the stories of the people here who have found a much healthier, less constrictive life post-TLWF can counter the sense of hopelessness.

Date: July 21, 2018 12:51AM

changedagain Wrote:
> So true. Isolation traps a person...providing no
> viable alternate to the stifling environment
> they've become accustomed to. I think the stories
> of the people here who have found a much
> healthier, less constrictive life post-TLWF can
> counter the sense of hopelessness.

Hence the TLWF drinking culture. The only acceptable means of escape.

Posted by: Tmason ()
Date: July 21, 2018 07:31AM

GoingRogue Wrote:
> changedagain Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > So true. Isolation traps a person...providing
> no
> > viable alternate to the stifling environment
> > they've become accustomed to. I think the
> stories
> > of the people here who have found a much
> > healthier, less constrictive life post-TLWF can
> > counter the sense of hopelessness.
>
> Hence the TLWF drinking culture. The only
> acceptable means of escape.

A culture of drinking that permitted 13 and 14 year olds to drink.

Date: July 21, 2018 11:47AM

Tmason Wrote:
> A culture of drinking that permitted 13 and 14
> year olds to drink.

Scary!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.