Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: GoingRogue ()
Date: June 02, 2018 12:18AM

changedagain,

Interesting that posters who want to expose the abuses and warped theology of the LW are experiencing so much "persecution" (to borrow an often used term in the LW.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: June 02, 2018 01:58AM

I think TLWF is in a unique position among cults, offering teaching that is closer to the truth than most groups. It makes it even more deceptive. Perhaps it is the reason for the large number of views on this site, for such a small group. First of all, it makes the claim of being Christian. Although the differences from Jesus’ teaching are subtle, the resulting damage is far greater in the lives of people who were members of TLWF, than in other groups. People are literally poisoned and separated from the very Person that loves them and would be their salvation. Jesus becomes the last place they want to look for answers, when in fact, it should be the first.

Some examples: One of the most life-giving things in the world is the lordship of Jesus Christ. Everything he does is full of life and healing and works 100% of the time. His direction is custom made for each individual and brings about His image in them. None of His words return void. There is a reason Jesus was so careful about speaking and doing only that which his Heavenly Father directed – it was perfect. But that only happens when it is really God doing it. When a human takes the place of God, their words lack any power except for perhaps a little common sense. In the case of TLWF, there was very little of even that. It ended up being so damaging that most will not let anyone, including God, ever tell them what to do again. Most ex-pats go into convulsions if you mention the lordship of Jesus Christ. You have to know that it was not Him, and that’s the reason for the damage. If it was really His direction, your path would have become brighter, not darker.

Another very common reaction is an intense aversion to God’s word. The images that were created in people’s minds in TLWF by taking a few scriptures out of context and calling it a living word are nothing at all like the words of Jesus. Even the basic idea that leaders should be the servants of all is exactly opposite to the people serving the leadership. There should be a natural aversion to that type of structure, but what needs to be recognized is that it is not something that Jesus taught in the first place. Christians have been reading the scriptures for centuries and gaining such strength from them. After the experiences in TLWF, the scriptures end up becoming flashbacks to times of spiritual abuse instead of being a light to our path that leads us into a wonderful relationship with Him. The scriptures have not changed – it’s the damaged lens that they are viewed through that has become the problem.

Another area that is very troubling is the relationships with other Christians. Our very purpose is to be a part of Christ’s Body. All that He gives us is for the rest of the Body – not for ourselves. The words of Jesus must be lived out in community, or they are of no value. The resulting mistrust that has come from experiences in TLWF has left people so isolated from one another that the Body ends up being crippled. What if you are the one that is meant to be a foot, and now there is no foot. The whole Body suffers – just as Paul taught. The isolation taught in TLWF only brings death. Think what would happen if you cut your hand off. It would die and be of no value to itself or to the rest of the body. Gary would excuse the lack of connection to other Christians by saying TLWF was unique, and he wanted to preserve that uniqueness. What he really wanted to preserve was his control. There are so many wonderful servant leaders out there he could connect with if his real intention was oneness in the Body. The only problem is that he would have to humble himself and work with the “little people” in the kitchen with the other leaders or he just might end up in one of his own counseling sessions.

If the fruit of your time in TLWF is that you want very little to do with Jesus except as He fits into your plans, you no longer read the scriptures, and you no longer want anything to do with other Christians, what type of tree do you think it has come from? After all, “You will know them by their fruit.” My encouragement is that the words of Jesus will continue to work for every person until heaven and earth pass away – and that has not happened yet. The member that has suffered the most also receives the greatest grace. I know for me it has taken much less effort to dig a little deeper into the words of Jesus and find life than it did to believe my shepherd in TLWF was God.

Posted by: SouthGate ()
Date: June 02, 2018 08:58PM

Tknc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to change the subject or anything, but I have
> a question for the general forum, and would love
> to hear yall's thoughts. How did you relationship
> to God, change/evolve/end after leaving the cult?
> Did it regrow after a time? or was it just all too
> much? Every time I open the Bible now, I can't
> help but hear it spoken as the voice of the Body
> of Christ.

Just about everyone I know that left the church got rid of all the This Weeks, etc. We didn't, even though we quit going a long time ago. I was born into the church back in the 50's. I have no trouble reading the material for the most part, even more so today, that is from the beginning of the church to 1983. There are still some great folks in the church. I still hope and pray for the people that attend and those who left, including myself :). I was never the zealous type so I never made it past set aside deacon. Didn't ask for that really. Left the church when John was still around probably 79 for a reason I don't care to discuss, but came back a couple of years before he died and left again around 85 or 86. Tried it again late 90's or 2000, somewhere around that time, but didn't pan out, again.

Date: June 02, 2018 09:07PM

I just wanted to add, that my wife and I were married by John and we've been married for over 40 years. If anyone was "unequally yoked" at the time, it was us. She's always been the steady one when it came to serving God and reading the word. Me? Not so much, but I'm getting there. :)

Just a side note, and not trying to sway people one way or the other. To each his own, but reading the This Weeks without people trying to tell me how to act or think is completely different than when I attended. But then again, I didn't read them much when I did attend. :P

Posted by: GSchaeff ()
Date: June 02, 2018 10:16PM

That's great to hear about you and your wife, Southgate. I'm glad you both found continued happiness, thats no small feat.

Other couples weren't so fortunate. I know of several personally whose lives were permanently altered by the whimsy of JRS proclaiming in the middle of a worship marathon, "You need to get married, you would make great babies!" Likewise, I will not soon be able to pick up a This Week for some breezy edification. They had an entirely different effect on me, and if someone were to say that's inherently my fault and not John's, then so be it. Perhaps John didn't realize that people like me would internalize his texts and recite them nightly; I'll entertain that reality.

Another possibility is that perhaps he and his ilk actively encouraged it for some followers and perhaps not others. In that reality, the same text can have a widely different personal impact on two people. It can be light and inspirational for one while simultaneously humiliating and destructive to another as they associate an entirely foreign set of memories with that text than the person in my first example would.

Again, I'm sincerely happy for you that you made a clean break from TLW and even find yourself able to revisit things if you so wish. I just think it's important to note that some people on here have no desire to do that. In that way, talking about the good things you still glean from TLW is somewhat akin to praising Harvey Weinstein on a rape awareness forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 10:20PM by GSchaeff.

Date: June 03, 2018 12:24AM

GSchaeff Wrote:
> That's great to hear about you and your wife,
> Southgate. I'm glad you both found continued
> happiness, thats no small feat.
>
> Other couples weren't so fortunate. I know of
> f several personally whose lives were permanently
> altered by the whimsy of JRS proclaiming in the
> middle of a worship marathon, "You need to get
> married, you would make great babies!" Likewise, I
> will not soon be able to pick up a This Week for
> some breezy edification. They had an entirely
> different effect on me, and if someone were to say
> that's inherently my fault and not John's, then so
> be it. Perhaps John didn't realize that people
> like me would internalize his texts and recite
> them nightly; I'll entertain that reality.
>
> Another possibility is that perhaps he and his
> s ilk actively encouraged it for some followers
> and perhaps not others. In that reality, the same
> text can have a widely different personal impact
> on two people. It can be light and inspirational
> for one while simultaneously humiliating and
> destructive to another as they associate an
> entirely foreign set of memories with that text
> than the person in my first example would.
>
> Again, I'm sincerely happy for you that you made
> a clean break from TLW and even find yourself able
> to revisit things if you so wish. I just think
> it's important to note that some people on here
> have no desire to do that. In that way, talking
> about the good things you still glean from TLW is
> somewhat akin to praising Harvey Weinstein on a
> rape awareness forum.

You are probably right about the Harvey Weinstein comment, but I can say the same thing about Catholics and covering up child rape, and other groups too. That's why I don't go to other churches either. Don't get me started on all the bad things that happened to be people in the bible. Women rights people today would be mad at Jesus for calling that woman a dog. Sarah running off Ismael when he was a little kid. Abraham willing to kill his own son. I've never condoned wrong doing by "anyone", and again I'm not trying to sway anyone to my way of thinking. Just giving a different perspective from my point of view. Which could be totally screwed up :). I'm very sad that bad things have happened to people over the years, and seemed to be picked off one by one. I might have liked someone in the church and somebody else had a bad experience by that person.

Again I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about anything or make someone feel bad or more than likely, mad. Just like to make posts is all and hope others feel free to do the same.

Posted by: GSchaeff ()
Date: June 03, 2018 04:38AM

Good point about Catholics and other churches too. Especially where coverups of abuse are involved. And that's a good example of a whole congregation that can pass a chapel and think of how nice it was there while one will pass by and remember what happened in the backroom with perhaps the same priest. Two sides, and they both should be heard. I meant the part about being glad you can still revisit parts. Personally, I traded my tape library for an 89 yota sas. That's my church these days.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: June 03, 2018 06:39PM

* * * 13 REASONS WHY -- A LIVING WORD DOCUDRAMA * * *

If someone was to ever produce a TLW docudrama, the principal from 13 REASONS WHY would be a good casting choice as the 'principle' commander & chief of all TLW operations.

[www.imdb.com]

Date: June 03, 2018 08:31PM

kBOY Wrote:
>
* * * 13 REASONS WHY -- A LIVING WORD
> DOCUDRAMA * * *

>
> If someone was to ever produce a TLW docudrama,
> the principal from 13 REASONS WHY would be
> a good casting choice as the 'principle' commander
> & chief of all TLW operations.
>
> [www.imdb.com]

[www.usa.gov]

If you add up the current currency that the U.S. prints up it comes to 13.

Date: June 03, 2018 08:36PM

GSchaeff Wrote:
> Good point about Catholics and other churches too.
> Especially where coverups of abuse are involved.
> And that's a good example of a whole congregation
> that can pass a chapel and think of how nice it
> was there while one will pass by and remember what
> happened in the backroom with perhaps the same
> priest. Two sides, and they both should be heard.
> I meant the part about being glad you can still
> revisit parts. Personally, I traded my tape
> library for an 89 yota sas. That's my church these
> days.

"89 yota sas. That's my church these days."

LOL!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.