Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Date: March 20, 2018 07:56AM

Haha yeah us ex-YASPers have a way of picking up on insider info and disseminating it quickly. Based on the photos Silvana's been posting on Facebook, she's probably received the "word" or "revelation" or "impartation" yada yada. It will be interesting to see how the congregation will respond or whether there will be a wedding. Will Silas gift them a honeymoon chateau at Monte Zion? Will Silvana's son change his name to Hargrave? Maybe Silvana will walk down the aisle to "Eye of the Tiger"? Only time will tell...

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> girls_turn_it_off wrote:
> *** Just take a second and imagine Gary in a
> shepherd shirt and loafers sipping a glass of
> champagne paid for by APCO support tithes ***
>
> I'll meditate on this image today and get back to
> you. My initial feeling is that he has been under
> a great deal of stress, especially after "drinking
> the cup,"
> and is doing everything he can to unwind so to
> better serve the Body of Christ. Thoughts and
> prayers for the G-Man.
>
> >G-man told him he was traveling back to LA
> because Lorena Holbrook is giving >birth. AND Gary
> said he is getting married to Silvana (formerly
> Jenkins)! Congrats to G-man on his third wife and
> Rick and his fourth wife's new child!
>
> Wow--former Yasper blow-outs get the big scoop!
> Regarding the marriage, does Silvana know about
> this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2018 08:10AM by girls_turn_it_off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: puddington ()
Date: March 20, 2018 11:55AM

Here’s a question: Besides the First Principles, we were also told in the LW that JRS was the one who started the act of “singing in the spirit”. I suspect that is not really true and that other early pentecostal groups were doing this long before 1951.

Date: March 20, 2018 10:52PM

Puddington,

JRS for sure did not invent it. I believe the early church did it a lot, but I'm sure it became popular after the Azuza St. outpouring.

On another note, recently I went down to Shiloh for a big play that they did for Purim. One of my best friends through the years was in it and we had recently had a falling out because I was no longer giving my life to the church. When I left, it hit him really hard. My personal opinion is that it was confronting to him that I was able to separate from it, and he doesn't have that capability. But I still care for him a lot and wanted to show him that I can be supportive even though I want nothing to do with the church. The play was pretty meh. He did well (definitely the best actor in it) and it was fun to see him. Recently, my girlfriend and I had decided to move to San Diego, so it was also good to get some closer and say goodbye to some people. It was very weird when people said "Oh Erin and Mary must be so excited. They will love to have you there." I just responded with "Yeah, its going to be fun...?"

After the play, I learned some new stuff. Micah and Andrea Seale now work for Shiloh full time. Micah taking care of facilities and Andrea helping with some of the hospitality type roles. Craig Haworth grew a beard. Saw some new babies, congratulated some newly engaged people. Also, seems like dating apps have become very popular among the single young people. My GF and I met on a dating app and I'm thankful for meeting her, but I'll tell you one thing... Its difficult to live a Walk lifestyle when you're meeting normal people who are looking for normal relationships...

The biggest bummer to me about making the long drive down Highway 1 to Kalona and enduring a church play was that my friend had really moved on. The friendship seems like its really gone. He's been my best friend for about 6 years now, and just because I don't go to the same church as him, he's broken up with me. But I don't blame him, honestly. Its because of the church way of doing things.

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: March 20, 2018 11:53PM

TheycalledmeJonah - Perhaps the most difficult thing most of us who have left face is the loss of decades old relationships. Our love for them certainly has not changed, yet the relationship ends because we have chosen to no longer live in a toxic environment. Most have experienced what happens when you show up at a LWF function and suddenly become a long lost friend. Randomly meeting at the store is a whole different matter when you are no longer in the fellowship. Until people are free, I don't think you can take too seriously the relationships. Designated relationships are not genuine, since they are not based on freedom of choice. If someone is told not to relate to you, they may obey, but still hold affection for you.

Even more important is what do we do with our relationship with God? Was our time in TLWF only a forced relationship with Him, or was it something that was initiated by by us. When we are free, do we still have the same desire to walk with Him, or are we just looking to ride on someone's coat tails again? I know many of the things that were fantasized about in TLWF actually begin to function when we obey the words of Jesus, instead of the words of man. It's easy to say, but hard to walk out when we have been wounded, that the evil actions of men are not a true picture of God. He is nothing at all like the leadership of TLWF.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: March 21, 2018 03:34AM

You're very clear-eyed and courageous, TheycalledmeJonah. Much more than I was while attempting to separate from the cult. Hopefully the mind-control spell over your good friend will break...and he'll not see your leaving as a betrayal, but as an example of what he should do to get free.

TheycalledmeJonah Wrote:
> Puddington,
>
> JRS for sure did not invent it. I believe the
> early church did it a lot, but I'm sure it became
> popular after the Azuza St. outpouring.
>
> On another note, recently I went down to Shiloh
> for a big play that they did for Purim. One of my
> best friends through the years was in it and we
> had recently had a falling out because I was no
> longer giving my life to the church. When I left,
> it hit him really hard. My personal opinion is
> that it was confronting to him that I was able to
> separate from it, and he doesn't have that
> capability. But I still care for him a lot and
> wanted to show him that I can be supportive even
> though I want nothing to do with the church. The
> play was pretty meh. He did well (definitely the
> best actor in it) and it was fun to see him.
> Recently, my girlfriend and I had decided to move
> to San Diego, so it was also good to get some
> closer and say goodbye to some people. It was very
> weird when people said "Oh Erin and Mary must be
> so excited. They will love to have you there." I
> just responded with "Yeah, its going to be
> fun...?"
>
> After the play, I learned some new stuff. Micah
> and Andrea Seale now work for Shiloh full time.
> Micah taking care of facilities and Andrea helping
> with some of the hospitality type roles. Craig
> Haworth grew a beard. Saw some new babies,
> congratulated some newly engaged people. Also,
> seems like dating apps have become very popular
> among the single young people. My GF and I met on
> a dating app and I'm thankful for meeting her, but
> I'll tell you one thing... Its difficult to live a
> Walk lifestyle when you're meeting normal people
> who are looking for normal relationships...
>
> The biggest bummer to me about making the long
> drive down Highway 1 to Kalona and enduring a
> church play was that my friend had really moved
> on. The friendship seems like its really gone.
> He's been my best friend for about 6 years now,
> and just because I don't go to the same church as
> him, he's broken up with me. But I don't blame
> him, honestly. Its because of the church way of
> doing things.

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: March 21, 2018 11:23AM

puddington Wrote:
> Here’s a question: Besides the First Principles,
> we were also told in the LW that JRS was the one
> who started the act of “singing in the spirit”.
> I suspect that is not really true and that other
> early pentecostal groups were doing this long
> before 1951.

From my perspective. JRS seemed toget people to belive he had a unique vsion of every thing. Much like "Muz think they invented soap, mental hospitals, algebra, and iuds

Way back when before we joined Chrstian Tabernacle my parents drug us to every kind of church: Quakers; Mormoans; Amish, memomnite; cathloc, luthern, pentocostal and even jewish temple and Greek orthodox. ( My Aunt by marriage was the daughter of a priest.) And my grand parents lived a few miles away from the first Mosque in the US that was in Cedar Rapids. It was creepy and I was glad I never got drug inside.

I saw "singing in the spirit in small churches out in the country in Iowa before jrs got us all doing it. I was a kid who wanted to go home and go to bed, but, no..Jesus was here and Jesus was over there with some travling preacher who had kids that entertained with ukleles and sangs cute songs when the offering plate was getting passed. They did stuff liek sing in the spirit, but I did n;t care at the time.

I am not an expert. i was just a kid who had school in the morning and I was tired and hungry thinking all these people were just plain weird. I was about 7 in 1957 when we joine CT. Singing in the spirit and all that jazz was going on in other non demonimonational small churches that had few members.

I think the pastors were often dry drunks by their testimonies, who started churches instead of going to AA. They were loving and kind people who did seem to want to save souls. They were not part of the regular denominations that we got drug to wearing our little white gloves and Sunday hats. They had no formal education nor established pastor training. I think they got it from some of the traveling tent revival meeting preachers that were prevalent as much as the circus who traveled to town.

Oh , yes, were singing in the spirit, falling in the isles, and all variations tht JRS did develop with more sophication and with more spirtual look.

My opinion. But I think we can possilby find some old tent meeting movies on videos to prove the point.

I thought JRS invented the holding up of hands and rolling eyes back in praise, too. I also thught that the tape recording of services on the big old reel to reel were unique in the walk. Yet, look back at Aimme Semple mc Phearson whose chruch meeting were a hollywood producion. She was novel at broadcasting on the radio. She died before I was born, but I heard about her.

I did not realize that when jrs has the word on KCII, they paid for the sptot I thought it was validation of how great his words were. My folks made me listen. But I really wanted to hear Amos and Andy or Fibber Mc Gee and Molly.

I have mentioned they plagarised song books, too. I think JRS never had a revelation of the internet where we could get more information that we could from the public libary or home encycloepdias . He had no idea that we figuwouldre it out.

I was kid, but I am sure the adults believed much like me a dumb kid. Yeah, deceitful, liar liar pants on fire narasistic swelled head who looked like a Teddy bear to me. BTW I only believed in Santa Clause til I was 4. That was deceitful on the adults part, too. Why did the grown up in my life and home church ( when we fianlly setteled in CT) go along with all the lies?

I ahve no answer to taht. At some one some adult in the church could have said, "JRS is naked as the day taht he was born>" But no one I ever heard did. Or maybe they were the ones who left in the early years.

Date: March 21, 2018 11:55AM

lary lobo
"Until people are free, I don't think you can take too seriously the relationships. Designated relationships are not genuine, since they are not based on freedom of choice."
I married a man who had been a freind for 10 years. he was not whom I wanted to marry, but whom I was told to marry. I did as I was told. My mistake. My oldest daughter has such a hard time with the fact I had to settled for her father. She takes it personal ( She has alochol issues as did her dad.) She says "Well if you did not marry my father I would not been here. So you don't love me."

My son has the walk figured out. But my oldest daughter can not comprehend the choices I had to make to stop the madness in our family when I left the walk.

I am so blessed to have all 3 of my chidlren. I would never ever want to trade the for anything. But the forced relationship with their father was not my choice. My childhood sweetheart also at CT TCLW ended up dying very young or depression, and leaving 3 small children. We had 6 children total hurt very badly because an elder gave a "prosphey" my father in law and the brohers all agreed.. There was no choice. How good was that prophesy hen GOD revealed I was a 'jezz' and 'held back my husband.' ( No responcibility for ones own actions or lack of action.)

I am at a loss because my children were hurt by thier father and toxic grand father who piously "spoke the word of God" and supported JRS. My daughter was poisoned when she was too young to figure it out.

I need minsitry and laying on of hands for healing. Some one please turn on a recorder so you can black mail me later with a veryily verily propehsy. Joking.

I realize even if I had left earlier i still had poison in my system that transfered to my children and they will not ever understand why.

How are your kids? Have they received the gift tranfered for JRS of singing in the spirit, yet? sick Joke.

Posted by: TheJewel ()
Date: March 22, 2018 04:09AM

puddington Wrote:
> Here’s a question: Besides the First Principles,
> we were also told in the LW that JRS was the one
> who started the act of “singing in the spirit”.
> I suspect that is not really true and that other
> early pentecostal groups were doing this long
> before 1951.

I had heard somewhere, perhaps somewhere here, that singinging in the spirit did not start in TLW. I suspect that most of what we all thought was special to TLW didn’t originate with JRS. Many of the things that were thought were already “out there” with latter rain types such as Bill Britton. JRS, RDQ and others tended to “purloin” what they thought was worthwhile without necessarily giving due credit.

Date: March 22, 2018 04:19AM

TheJewel

BINGO!
I think they thought we would never know. No revelation of the coming internet with vast information.

Posted by: TheJewel ()
Date: March 22, 2018 06:38AM

NancyB Wrote:
> TheJewel
>
> BINGO!
> I think they thought we would never know. No
> revelation of the coming internet with vast
> information.

There was a lot of “snake oil” being sold. I was not ever close to JRS but I was somewhat close to RD Cronquist. He was a follower of some of the Latter Rain types as well as several others who who would best be described as tinfoil hat John Birchers. There was an inter mix of a lot of screwball stuff. We got the nephlem combined with the Rockefellers, the Illuminati and the Trilateral commission etc. it might have made sense at the time but it’s all pretty laughable now.

I completely agree with you on the immaturity of some of the young “ministries”. It became pretty much a cult of personality. You sucked up to the right guys and you were suddenly anointed to sit on the platform.

I left in the early eighties and never looked back, until I found this board which is always interesting reading. I came in around 1970 with a group of college age people that showed up at Coniah when RD held services in his converted garage in Chula Vista CA. On looking back, it seemed that a lot of what JRS was doing was twisting the knobs to tweak, the latter rain stuff to appeal to the hippie culture of the day. I think the “Bless In” concept WAS invented in TLW but the content probably was not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.