Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Factoverfiction ()
Date: March 12, 2018 02:53AM

Greetings All,

I've been following these posts but have taken a bit of a hiatus in an effort to not dwell on the wasted years spent "plugging into the source," or "beating my arrows," or "bringing the mantle back to the bridegroom" or ... insert a dozen other vague platitudes that made summer camp feel new every July so that we could stay busy for another year dreaming about becoming new age prophets that people would fill football stadiums to come see. And that wouldn't be because we were great--oh hubris, no--they'd be drawn to us because of our humbleness and our repentance and our total acceptance of Gary and Marilyn's will over our lives. Barf.

That said, I hold no ill will to many of the people still attending TLWF churches, however, I draw the line at where they draw profit from outside entities. That profit is never used for charity, unless that charity includes building a 5th house for Gary, or another sound studio for Rick Holbrook. When TLWF profits, they use that money to further exploit their congregation. There is no doubt that the two main cash cows right now, Marilyn Farms and Shiloh U, are being staffed by an Army of "volunteers" who are being stretched thin in an effort to raise money for various "Kingdom Treasures." After all, we loose the finances, and we break the principalities and powers that are stopping god's double portion from blessing Gary. Amiright?

All that to say, if you'd like to help curb the financial exploitation currently going on in the church, I ask that you make two very simple, quick, and effective emails:
1) Marilyn Farms is currently selling salsa to Hy-Vee in Iowa City, IA. This is their product complaint line, please ask them to discontinue selling "Marilyn Farms Organic Farmhouse Salsa" and any other products from Marilyn Farms,as they financially benefit TLWF, which has been identified as a cult by various entities including the City of Maui in legislation against a commune built there in 2003. Here's the link: [www.hy-vee.com]

2) Contact one of the accreditation oversight organizations that are providing Shiloh University with their Distance Learning Accreditation. This is perhaps the most damaging thing Shiloh is doing to its congregants. They're coercing young adults into pursuing degrees that are virtually meaningless. On top of that, they're being led by part time individuals that generally have no teaching credentials.
Here's two agencies to contact and simply ask that they take a closer look at Shiloh University for possible exploitation of its staff and student body:

[www.iowacollegeaid.gov]
[www.deac.org]

If there's nothing fishy going on, then Hy-Vee and the college licensing boards will allow them to continue. It's only fair to give these organizations notice that these businesses are financially benefiting Gary Hargrave. Please consider alerting them to the hardships TLWF routinely creates, otherwise TLWF will be treated like any other church. If you've attended a bless-in you know you're not any other church, you're the center of the universe. You saw Satan fall from heaven, and you saw JRS receive the unfolding straight from God's mouth. Please help curb the financial exploitation of those who are still vulnerable to these crooks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GoingRogue ()
Date: March 12, 2018 03:02AM

Long time blog follower here, first time writing. Thanks to all for putting info out there, especially those long-time posters. I experienced the consequences of John's “apostleship” and hung around for as much of G&M as I could stand. I liked changedagain's statement, “I think the Walk started going bad sometime in 1951.” Good one…high five!

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: March 12, 2018 04:15AM

NancyB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> WOW! The PROBE! I have not thought about that for
> decades. I think I don't want to think any more
> about it. Been having lots of other flash backs
> and dreams...trying to find an appropriate shrink
> just in case it is too much for me.
>
> To be fair, or something: we all come to these
> forum with our own memories and interpretations of
> what went on back them that may or may not be 100%
> accurate from another view point.
> JRS can not defend his actions since he has long
> passed. For certain, something went terribly wrong
> and walk and "we" made our own choices to stay and
> participate as long as we did along with our
> children who had not choice for our adult choices.
> "we" members have to take responcibility for our
> own choices to listen to and follow the man. But
> WHY did we? Do any of us really know the true
> answer? or do we have common thread or differnt
> reason?

Even though "John cannot defend his actions as he is long passed," Nichols gave him the opportunity. To be interviewed. John said no. And it has been noted here. By many. The members risked excommunication if they questioned John.

NancyB do you know. If the probe involved hypnotism? Can't recall if someone on the forum said that. Or did Nichols say it was John hypnotizing members.

Perhaps some of the strange LW doctrine. That is not Biblical. That celebrated drinking. That called members out. For a religious spirit. If they disagreed. Perhaps that doctrine came about. As a cover for John's alcoholism.

Perhaps the LW doctrine of not expressing sympathy. Was a cover for narcissism
in John.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: March 12, 2018 04:42AM

A lot of these posts have been about JRS and the LW as it existed decades ago. I would like to remind everyone just how well John taught his young ministries. A lot of his quirks were duplicated in the new LW leadership. Alcoholism, adultey, hubris and narcissistic behavior are all alive and thriving in the currect LW leadership. Yes the cult started in 1951. But it’s still just as cultic as ever. No hired PR firm can change that.

Posted by: Tknc ()
Date: March 12, 2018 05:01AM

My parents were taught so well they were able to maintain the Cult of the Living Word completely separate for 40 years.

Posted by: BenTHare ()
Date: March 12, 2018 05:24AM

Many of us learned our lessons well. We spent much of our time reading, listening, and attending. The mind-control used was/is real. The very habits used to control us can also lead to freedom. Martin Luther demonstrated this in his life.

When we become co-dependent on others, the bondage seems to increase. The adverse appears to also be true.

Healthy questions deserve healthy answers and can lead to clearer TRUTHS.

In retrospect, I found a weak family structure and personal support system made me vulnerable to get pulled in to TLW. As I grew in dependence upon the scriptures, my vulnerability shrank. TRUTH was transformed.

Leaving the people community was hardest for me. Leaving the oppressive leadership structure was easy.

Yes, I grew, in spite of the culture. I am convinced, that the SEEKING made my growth possible. And so it is, yet, today.

Willing to get a little BenT, once in awhile.....Hare

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: March 12, 2018 05:34AM

changedagain Wrote:
> Excellent post, Tknc. FWIW, I think the Walk
> started going bad sometime in 1951.
>
>
> Tknc Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Thanks for pulling up JezTheBelle's post, not
> sure
> > when she wrote it, but it is still very
> relevant.
> > From my perspective, trying to pinpoint where
> it
> > went 'astray,' or became a cult is irrelevant.
> > I've believed for almost 30 years that my
> family
> > escaped The Walk right as it was "getting bad."
> > Only to find out from Woodrow's book that it
> was
> > pretty damn bad well before '82. The teachings
> of
> > JRS are a virus. They evolve and infect people
> > even today.

Yes, Tknc I agree with CA about your post. And it confirms what puddington just posted that John taught and passed on all his quirky thinking (depravity) like a virus to the current leadership as being God's ways. You once asked in I think your first post how one comes out the other side of all the misinformation. For me it took over 30+ years to get to the place I am now. Where I think I have totally shaken off the LW dust, so to speak. I think in part I did it by just getting back to basics about "that which I don't understand" or in other words what the gospel really is all about which has little to do with what I was taught in the LW. I was in for 10 years. I wasn't kicked out. I wasn't called a Jez or Neph (at least to my knowledge). But my thinking on many levels was damaged. Some times I catch myself indulging in some of the Walk thinking, like loosing a parking stall before I get to the mall. lol Or wanting to pray death on someone who crossed me (where did that come from). If you were taught not to have sympathy or compassion, it can take time to shake off that LW dust. But you have to do the work. And I think you are doing just that by sorting out your parent's influence on you.

Hey NickleandDimed. I think you may have nailed it about the backstory and motives behind some JRS's bizarre thinking about drunkenness and having sympathy. Thank you for sharing that. Something to ponder.

Fact or Fiction. Good to hear from you. It's been a while huh? I support your concerns and will follow up with those links. Thank you so much for sharing.

Welcome Going Rogue. Thanks for chiming in.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: March 12, 2018 05:56AM

NancyB you are so right on about those lazy folks from California. I was one of them. I remember experiencing some stink eye from one of the Shiloh men when three of us hippie looking Californians arrived at the front desk. He later apologized. Imagine that. Someone from the Walk apologizing. Well, I think it goes to show that some of the Iowa folk were raised with values that escaped those of us from California. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: March 12, 2018 08:10AM

BenTHare Wrote:
> Yes, I grew, in spite of the culture. I am
> convinced, that the SEEKING made my growth
> possible. And so it is, yet, today.
>

That's good. To hear. IMHO the possibility of growth. Isn't based on how many years you were in the LW. If it were 50 years or 10 years. Neither is worse than the other. In determining future growth. In spite of the LW culture and mind control. We can all still grow in compassion and empathy. If we choose to seek it. Life in the LW culture. Its history. Presented here by posters. Was like a marriage gone sour. We divorced the LW. Now we can find new relationship(s). That are supportive and nurturing.

Factoverfiction, I'm on board too. Will contact those agencies.

Posted by: GoingRogue ()
Date: March 12, 2018 09:29AM

It's so great to have a forum where people who were in the LW during various time periods can discuss their experiences. It's important to sort it all out. There are some who are sure that the Walk only went wrong after John died. That's why it's good to have survivors of the early days also share. It becomes very apparent that the Walk was never what it seemed. Those with experiences later on and recently also have important information to share with the group. The LW was always a cult, and it still is.

Thanks for the welcome Lily Rose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.