Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 11, 2017 10:20PM

We need to remember that there is healthy narcissism - we each need some
in order to believe and FEEL we are God's children, that creaturely as we are,
the Creator is mindful of us. This coexists with being able to enjoy other people's company and not get despairing or enraged if we meet with an ordinary setback.

It is when narcissism is way out of hand that other people are used and harmed.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

More recent research detected a further high?functioning variant, which is outgoing, energetic and articulate, with an exaggerated sense of self?importance.

The fact that narcissistic personality disorder is not a monolithic entity creates challenges for the diagnostician and the psychotherapist. In keeping with the notion that the key to diagnosis lies in the quality of love relationships, we suggest that a careful examination of modes of relatedness is crucial7.

As Kohut stressed, some patients who are narcissistically organized tend to idealize others so that they can bask in the reflected glory of an idealized object. They may insist on the most famous psychotherapist or pick a romantic partner purely on his/her looks so that others will be impressed.

The grandiose high functioning type may attract a lot of followers who have this second, 'Golden Calf' type of self centeredness.

What makes things really complicated is that a grandiose, self centered NPD
may actually accomplish a lot of good in altruistic ministries and professions.

They can attract hardworking followers who make excuses for them even after their hero's behavior deteriorates. Other disciples who begin to have misgivings may feel afraid to trust their feelings for fear of being reprimanded.

But their families and close disciples pay the highest price in neglect. I saw some hidden tragedies years ago when in the peace movement.

You can do heroic social justice work, have lots of adoring followers, bask in
their adoration, while they bask in your fame and heroism. Meanwhile, you may
be neglectful to your family, or worse, be cruel to them in private. If they
try to tell anyone the truth, they will not be believed. Worse, they are often
forced to put on a smiling front in public.

40yearsin2016 wrote:

How many times did I hear JRS talk about being re-energized in his spirit when preaching - being able to go on for hours without any fatigue.

The professionals have a term for this: narcissistic supplies.

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 10:30PM by corboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: October 14, 2017 05:52AM

corboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 40yearsin2016 wrote:
>
>

How many times did I hear JRS talk about
> being re-energized in his spirit when preaching -
> being able to go on for hours without any
> fatigue.
>
> The professionals have a term for this:
> narcissistic supplies.
>
I had a few aha moments as a result of this conversation on narcissism. A number of posters in the forum have commented over the years that JRS never did enough to stop the members from idolizing him or calling him Christ. I always wondered why? It now seems likely to me that the idolization was a source of unending narcissistic supply. Obeying JRS's commands, admiring, revering and idolizing him were stable sources of supply. In addition, experiencing his power to read people and blessings first hand were all sources of unending narc supply.

It also seems according to other writers who have critiqued the LW, that the heavy handed Nazi hierarchy JRS created was unique to the Walk. JRS's alleged "authority" that he derived from the allegedly privileged relationship JRS said he had with God (Holy Jim Canyon) secured supply. Something I read: The narcissists becomes God by obedience to him, following his instructions, loving him, succumbing. He forms a personal relationship with God in order
to overpower others. I became obsessed with a narcissists and was stuck wondering why? I appreciate everyone's post. It's all becoming a little clearer to me.

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: October 14, 2017 10:59AM

As with the Wizard of Oz, once the curtain was drawn, the adored and fearsome wizard is just an ordinary flawed bumbler. So goes it for John and G&M.

Gary will shower the newbies with ministry and flowering words. Words from God no less. But what lurks is a manipulative, abusive coward.

Date: October 16, 2017 05:24AM

The diaspora and stories of survival that has occurred in the LW interests me. The reads on mind control suggest sharing similar experiences that have happened in other cults, such as Scientology. This can turn on the light bulb for those still brainwashed by the LW. There are plenty of survival stories out there from other cults. Hope this helps someone.

[www.vice.com]

Date: October 16, 2017 09:49AM

I just finished Malignant Pied Pipers: A Psychological Study of Destructive Cult Leaders...by Peter A. Olsson, MD, August 28, 2017. Great read.

"Psychological Autopsy Malignant Narcissist Church Leadership" is great too. It's 3 parts. The link below is to Part 1. Part 3 is the most interesting. You can google that link.

[www.virtueonline.org]

Date: October 20, 2017 06:12AM

NickleandDimed Wrote:
>>
>
> "Psychological Autopsy Malignant Narcissist Church
> Leadership" is great too. It's 3 parts. The link
> below is to Part 1. Part 3 is the most
> interesting. You can google that link.
>
I thought the malignant narcissist part 3 was very interesting. Following I have provided the link. The name Diane Langberg was mentioned in the piece. She's is a psychologist who specializes in trauma and sexual abuse. If you google her name, there are numerous links to her work. I thought of homamidoing's post about sexual abuse. Langberg might be a good resource.

[www.virtueonline.org]

Date: October 20, 2017 06:22AM

Remember singing "How Great is our God," over and over during worship? The following link is about how the song writer is caught up in a cult.... "How one of the world's most beloved worship songs reportedly helped fuel spiritual abuse."

[www.christianitytoday.com]

Date: October 20, 2017 01:56PM

lily rose Wrote:
> Remember singing "How Great is our God," over and
> over during worship? The following link is about
> how the song writer is caught up in a cult....
> "How one of the world's most beloved worship songs
> reportedly helped fuel spiritual abuse."
>
>
>
> [www.christianitytoday.com]

That obese vampire Gathering cult leader Wayne Jolley died last year. Recalling John attributed his excess weight to the "battle." Not hoagies. Jolley treated his followers the same as G-man treats the members.

I found this. Ben Zeller, assistant professor of religion at Lake Forest College, said that groups like the Gathering often fail once their founder dies.

“They face the problem of the ‘routinization of charisma,’ as sociologist Max Weber called it,” Zeller told CT. “If the leader successfully put into motion ways to institutionalize the leadership, then they stand a chance. But generally, such groups fade—especially if the leader died unexpectedly or didn’t make any plans for succession.”

Gary's no young chicken. Wonder if he's made different succession plans. Than Marilyn's succession plans.

Date: October 23, 2017 04:55AM

An ex-pat told me some of the posts by Apostle Dog and Larry Bobo changed his thinking. He once thought that John's ministry was a move of God. And he was part of it. He sent me a link that goes further. Into the difference between what John taught and mainstream Christianity.

[books.google.com]

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: October 23, 2017 05:08AM

I used to have a “standing order” for LW tapes. But eventually I realized it was actually a “squatting order”, so I cancelled it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.