Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: June 04, 2017 10:03PM

slandjt Wrote:

> So, all of that said, this forum is for all of us
> -- not just for those who happen to agree with
> each other. Sometimes having an open mind allows
> us to see things from others' perspective. Just
> saying . . .

If someone has spent a considerable time in TLWF, and is not here just to be disruptive or grab attention...then I make every effort to hear them out. I prefer engaging in a discussion, even if it becomes heated, rather than mimicking the practices of what we came out of (shunning, blacklisting etc) Personally, I think think John was manipulative in his practices, and caused a great deal of damage in the lives of his followers...but if someone has an alternate take, and I think they're coming from a genuine place...then as distasteful or even idiotic as their opinion is to my perspective, I'll tolerate it. I think this attitude may make it more likely for those that are still considering getting out of the cult, and yet are tormented by a dual mentality, to feel welcome here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: puddington ()
Date: June 04, 2017 11:28PM

Note: It IS June 4th after all.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: June 05, 2017 12:53AM

* * * HEADLINE NEWS * * *
ONE MORE STEP TOWARDS CANONIZATION

"Visit To Saint Peter’s Basilica In Vatican City"
June 3, 2017 — Saturday — by Gary Hargrave

[www.garyandmarilynhargrave.com]

(No more need be said.)

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: June 05, 2017 01:27AM

I disagree with changedagain. IMO no tormented current member or hurt expat will take the risk of posting. Having read some of the shaming that goes on here. To have some CSW tell them it's crap. Or it's a lie.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: June 05, 2017 02:10AM

Say what you will CA. You were in the ministry. Maybe you were one of those who piled in on the little people. I support and applaud any little person who wants to ignore or shun an abuser on this forum who has come to the message board with an agenda, and persists in spewing that agenda, and who can't even come up with any argument to defend their position. Seriously, I think the message board is devolving. Even though there are rules for this message board to keep it cordial with meaningful discussions about the cultish behavior of the leadership, some people like yourself aren't willing to monitor abusers at the expense of your freedom of speech. I would say to anyone thinking about posting and baring your soul about your pain that now is not a good time.

Date: June 05, 2017 02:27AM

Lily wrote:
Say what you will CA. You were in the ministry. Maybe you were one of those who piled in on the little people.

I lived as a little person. I was basically a figurehead--spending most of my time fixing up the facilities I happened to be in, trying to raise a family while giving myself 5-6 days a week (service, work assignments) to the church. I went very light on the people under my charge, considering the way I was treated. Example: after making a few jokes about Rick H in 1990, I was coincidentally demoted from shepherd (after 7 years of brutal service) to set-aside elder. That following year I was directed to stay off the platform, and turn pages for the organist/pianist, and serve the local shepherds. I also was directed to paint the rental next to the Hargrave home, along with doing the enameling of most of the doors in their own home. Of course, no thanks/money was given, since I was privileged just to be told to do this work.
My summer 'vacation' was taken at Shiloh, where I was ordered to take the lead in painting the cafeteria...while suffering from a serious leg infection, the result of a work-related injury that took place just before going on vacation. I recall Gary bring a "Word" while I was there that God was considering 'amputating' members of the body. I took that personally. If anything, most my trouble originated from voicing disapproval to how the "little people" were being treated.
That didn't go over well. Anyway, I could go on and on...but insinuating that I was privileged in any way is completely ludicrous.

Date: June 05, 2017 02:39AM

Lily wrote,
"Seriously, I think the message board is devolving. Even though there are rules for this message board to keep it cordial with meaningful discussions about the cultish behavior of the leadership, some people like yourself aren't willing to monitor abusers at the expense of your freedom of speech."

Well, I won't interfere with your taking on the abusers. Both you and Nickle and Dimed were very direct in your criticism of what South Gate wrote, which I had no problem with. I suppose you could bring his writing to the attention of the moderator, and he/she would decide whether he is to be banned.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: June 05, 2017 02:50AM

I didn't buy before a few years ago when you posted you were really a little person. And I don't buy it now. It reflects in the things you say.

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: June 05, 2017 02:54AM

I was going to continue my story about Bessie and Mom. I don't think I will be sharing.

Posted by: SouthGate ()
Date: June 05, 2017 03:10AM

Let me give a little background about myself. I was born into the Walk in the 50's. My parents moved back a forth to another state, and at times went to Assembly of God and Pentecostal churches growing up. I got married by John in 77 at GC. If anyone was unequally yoked together it was us two. She was always reading the word and I pretty much didn't. I would say the main thing we had in common is we were not religious at all. I was set aside as a deacon eventually but not that I wanted it, and it didn't go over very good. I was put over cleaning the church and so I made a list and everyone was included. Don't believe me, ask Larry C. We left at one point because of how we were treated, but came back. John died, and we stayed for about 2 to 3 years but left again for a very long time. Things weren't great after we left. Tried it again, but then they sold GC. Helped a lot of people move to the Valley. I haven't gone in a very long time. I check their website like another poster on here obviously does. I could say a lot more, but there are still a lot of people that I love that still goes to church and there are lots that I still love that have left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.