Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: May 05, 2017 10:29AM

puddington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone got any good stories from the mattress
> rooms at Shiloh?

I heard someone died on one of mattresses and they never replaced it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2017 10:54AM by lily rose.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: May 05, 2017 11:03AM

puddington Wrote:
> rooms at Shiloh?

the slight urine smell

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: May 05, 2017 01:42PM

A small fire started in one of those rooms. Remember, they were next to the bathrooms, at the center hall intersection on the dormitory floors. Someone piled the mattresses up so high that they touched the ceiling light bulb. The heat started that top mattress to burn. So the story goes. Gosh, Shiloh could have burned town. Glad it didn't happen.

Posted by: Invisible ()
Date: May 05, 2017 06:04PM

filthy apron,

In your last post of May 3, 2017

You wrote ..........apparently TLW does not have the funds or the wherewithal to take care of their aging population! ............

To Share - PART OF THE VISION FOR SHILOH

you wrote a concern for the aging population of TLW. I have been thinking about what you wrote these last couple of days. I thought I would share with you how in the early days when John Stevens began to lay out the vision for Shiloh and the members began contributing their finances to be able to buy the land where Shiloh was to be built - part of the vision that motivated and inspired the people to make Shiloh happen - was John said, he wanted a convalescent home to be built at Shiloh and for our members to work there. He spoke about the many sacrifices that so many had made and he wanted there to be a provision for our members for when they grew old or could no longer care for themselves . He spoke about how when they grew old, we should care for our aged members - so that they could live out their remaining years, with honor and dignity, by being be cared for by us, with our loving hands in honor of their years of sacrifice.

I think I was no longer active in the church - when I heard that an amphitheater was being built on the land at Shiloh.

filthy apron,

I was thinking on what you wrote from the time line you gave in your post.

You were 12 years old when John died ( June1993 ) - .... 8 years later (which would be around 2001 ) you said you were excommunicated at age 20, that would make you near or about 36 years old at this time.

You didn't say your whole family was excommunicated with you - at the same time you were excommunicated or if they are still actively involved as members of TLW church- only that you were excommunicated when you were only 20 years old.

You didn't say if you continued to live with your parents - after you were no longer allowed to attend church. You did not say why you were excommunicated.

I am not asking you to fill in the gaps - but I am thinking - If you were only 20 years old when excommunicated - you may not have experienced the same things as others did - who gave years of their life and youth - only to discover ( when they were excommunicated or chose to leave the church) - they did know or understand what they needed to know - in order to be able to protect themselves or their own family relationships or to think about making a provision for themselves independently of the church while being members of the church. They were giving their years, their youth and themselves to the church.

For some posting, I think - the complaint is not as much about the sacrifices made - it is more about the jolting reality - and the years it took to sort out and realize what had been done to them, It is about the sacrifices that other's are making and investing themselves and their years in TLW - who are living their lives having the same kind of mind set we ourselves once had.

filthy apron,

I believe you are right in saying - since TLW has made no provision for their aged population - that we who post - are the one's responsible for our own family aged members who are members of TLW - a good many of us who post here - are the aged. Most likely our parents are nearing the end of their lives or are no longer alive and with us today.

And we among us posting - who have children - who are members of TLW - our concern for them - is when our children grow old enough themselves to need our help - we may no longer be alive- if they find they need our help. And we can only be as close to them as they will allow us to be.

To move close to your grown children:
If your grown children are still active members of the TLW church today - it is yet too difficult for them to be open to hear anything you might be concerned about for them. They really do not want your advice - or your input, if it is in any way outside of or different than what they are being led to believe and to think, as members of the church.

Because we love our children - those of us who are no longer members of the church - we have remained close and open in heart to our children while they were led for many years to live for the church and to relate to their church members as their 1st and real family - led to turn their hearts and minds away from us as their real parents because we were no longer members of TLW - so that they are unable yet to relate to us more personally as being their family.

I believe progress has been made in how they are relatiing to us today but that they still have a block in their thinking - which does not permit them to want to hear our opinions or input about life.

II think that this gap that yet exists - The rehashing that goes on and on and over and over - in the forum - is a result of realizing and reconciling many matters for ourselves with the hope that those in TLW will in some way benefit from what we write.

I also think that our grown children have the right as adults to live their own lives and to make choices for themselves whether they today are members of TLW or not. That we as parents should show respect for them as adults. What is tragic is that our adult parents and children who are members of TLW choose to only listen to, think, believe and live by - only what they hear coming from their pulpit.

Posted by: kbyrne ()
Date: May 05, 2017 09:18PM

puddington Wrote:
> rooms at Shiloh?

My very good friend used to spend nights with her then boyfriend in the mattress room. Caught them coming out of there myself on more than one occasion. They later married and then divorced. Never heard of anyone dying on a mattress, but a fire doesn't surprise me!

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: May 05, 2017 11:10PM

Invisible Wrote:

> For some posting, I think - the complaint is not
> as much about the sacrifices made - it is more
> about the jolting reality - and the years it took
> to sort out and realize what had been done to
> them, It is about the sacrifices that other's are
> making and investing themselves and their years in
> TLW - who are living their lives having the same
> kind of mind set we ourselves once had.

Yes--Very well put.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: May 05, 2017 11:15PM

kbyrne Wrote:
> puddington Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anyone got any good stories from the mattress
> > rooms at Shiloh?
>
>
> My very good friend used to spend nights with her
> then boyfriend in the mattress room. Caught them
> coming out of there myself on more than one
> occasion. They later married and then divorced.
> Never heard of anyone dying on a mattress, but a
> fire doesn't surprise me!

I just heard second-hand that many young couples would go into that room to wait on the Lord and pray together. A few, apparently, had experiences similar to what John had in Holy Jim Canyon. It sounds like a very anointed room--hence it's understandable that it would occasionally catch fire.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: May 06, 2017 02:00AM

kbyrne said never heard of anyone dying on a mattress. That came from my friend who said years after JRS passed, someone committed suicide at Shiloh and the leadership covered it up. This information is probably 3rd hand so maybe the bit about the suicide is questionable, but a cover up is totally believable.

I think I am over any nostalgia I may have had about Shiloh. I recall a fellow from Colorado did some work on my car. He didn't want to be there. It seems like some pastors sent some of the sheep to Shiloh as corrective action, expecting people to transform or mature....not really sure what the expectation was. A friend once told me that after her husband returned from Shiloh he started relating to her. She said it lasted a week. I now see Shiloh as nothing more than a boondoggle.

I appreciate Invisible's lovely words to filthy apron. Another piece of the tragedy as reported by Howmidoing is some kids not in the fellowship cannot even visit the graves of their departed parents buried at Shiloh.

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: May 06, 2017 03:20AM

Invisible Wrote:
> The rehashing that goes on and on and over and over -
> in the forum - is a result of realizing and
> reconciling many matters for ourselves with the
> hope that those in TLW will in some way benefit
> from what we write.

Yeah. Good to talk about it for the poster and reader.

Lily, I was sent to Shiloh for corrective action. Left worse than when I got there. I think I was there during the time BenThare talked about. I put a lot of what I didn't understand on the shelf. I still don't understand it. Puddington mentioned his shelf got overloaded and crashed. So did mine.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: May 06, 2017 03:30AM

LILY ROSE:

Many years ago a couple of active members in TLW caught me filling up my 80 gallon trash can with 3+ decades of ThisWeeks, cassettes, CD's, and LW Volumes. Their outrage and incredulousness was met with a smile and no comment, as they started to rifle through it as fast as I could dump it in. Most of it ended up being offloaded and hauled home to buttress up their valuable collection.

It was a WONDERFUL DAY in the neighborhood.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.