> the RC church.
>
> However, sometime in the 90's the LW reissued a
> new edition of the First Principles, and most of
> this lesson had been sanitized to soften the anti
> RC teaching. I never saw this new edition, so I
> can't comment on how much got removed. I
> discarded my LW literature years ago.

That's my recollection, too. The RC stresses human works makes man acceptable to God. G-man finds that impressive. John with all his warts IMO would say G-man took a step in the wrong direction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: April 20, 2017 04:01AM

I think G-man sanitized his own bio. Wasn't he a sociology major in college. Not religious studies. He was living with D (not married) when Miller brought him in? Didn't John say he would get a burning sensation in his hands if someone was to be a ministry. No one had the discernment to see through John's bs.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: April 20, 2017 10:58AM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I've read from a few posters on this forum,
> familiar with his early days, stating he rose
> quickly up the authority chain after joining the
> fellowship in SD. One poster said he was an
> assistant pastor within 6 months. If so, how did
> that happen? Perhaps just more dedicated,
> submissive than his peers?

It wasn't unusual for JRS to minister to visiting individuals from other states and set them in or appoint/ordain them to be pastors without even knowing them or if they demonstrated a shepherd's caring heart. Often these man had started home churches, ordered tapes for the group and they became instant pastors. Some were disasters. Although JRS claimed to follow NT for setting ministries aside or set in, it often wasn't followed. JRS's selection of ministries was terribly flawed, hit and miss, and producing much bad fruit. There were some exceptions though and these men have been acknowledged on this forum.

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: April 20, 2017 12:41PM

Changedagain,

Gary IMO advanced quicker than his peers not because he was more dedicated or submissive. He had a greater ability to preach. Those instant pastors and their home groups Lily mentioned when the LW was growing had to tithe to John. Money came in during those years.

Posted by: SouthGate ()
Date: April 20, 2017 08:59PM

kBOY Wrote:
> LILY ROSE:
>
> It was the Roman Catholic Church, but
> forgetfulness works wonders if it advances your
> career.

In the new one it's called the Church of Rome, but it does have a disclaimer saying it's not intended to single out or condemn any individual, religion, or denomination. Gary or whoever did this part did a damn good job in my opinion and he didn't spare the RCC and all of their rituals. It was just more informative than the original, which I happen to have both.

Posted by: SouthGate ()
Date: April 20, 2017 09:07PM

NickleandDimed Wrote:
> Changedagain,
>
> Gary IMO advanced quicker than his peers not
> because he was more dedicated or submissive. He
> had a greater ability to preach. Those instant
> pastors and their home groups Lily mentioned when
> the LW was growing had to tithe to John. Money
> came in during those years.

You really think so? I was never that impressed with his ability to preach, but then it would be really hard to as charismatic as John. Again this is just my opinion. I know when Larry C was over South Gate for a brief time, he changed all of a sudden. More loving of the sheep and then he was moved to another facility.

Posted by: kbyrne ()
Date: April 21, 2017 09:43AM

Hi! I'm new to the group. I've only gone back a few years' worth of posts, I haven't read them all, there's so much to read! Some of the stuff blows me away.

I was in the Walk from '74 to '84. I spent 5 of those years at Shiloh. When JRS died I was living on Blix and answering phones on Kling. For several years, when things struck me as strange, I just filed them away as something I didn't understand. When people left, like the Corbetts and then the Finneys, I just wondered why, but never questioned it. And sadly, I never saw them again, so I couldn't even ask them what had happened. I just accepted it. I had babysat their kids! I totally looked up to them and loved them. I just didn't get it, but I questioned very little.

Things got strange for me after John died. Instead of running from the Walk, I backed out slowly. There was so much going on, no one even noticed. I honestly don't feel bitter for the time I spent involved with TLW, but I do feel a sadness. It kind of ruined me from ever really getting involved in another church. I've always felt conflicted. I do think that there are spiritual principles that JRS taught that are real.

(I do, of course, remember being afraid that if I left I would get hit by a bus, or a train, or something. OMG!)

Reading about John Miller, I was in disbelief. And sorry to read about Rich Lindy and David Boney.

I've much more to read. I'm glad I found this Forum.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: April 21, 2017 08:33PM

Welcome kbyrne. Boy, you were in the thick of it working at the Blix house. Those years especially. You got out at a good time. Congratulations, you did it smart.

I can't say about the Corbetts, but the Finneys are alive and well. Cheers!

Date: April 22, 2017 03:09AM

Welcome kbyrne. I'm glad you found this forum too. Where you part of Blix the entire time you were involved? It seems a number of the Blix folks eventually left. Feel free to express yourself and share any insights.

Date: April 22, 2017 04:08AM

kbyrne-also a while back I learned here that David Cokas had a church (Living Water or Living Spring...something like that) and website. I visited the website and listened to one of his sermons and one by Brent who was introduced as a guest speaker. I think David has tried to keep some of the ex-pats in the loop of the charismatic/Pentecostal movement. That movement is not my cup of tea anymore, and I'm not sure if that old message by Brent is still on the website. Apparently a number of folks from Coniah who don't think JRS was a false teacher transitioned to David's church which my understanding has many similarities to the Walk minus the Nazi hierarchy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.