Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: August 16, 2016 02:31AM

I like this definition of hypnotic, attracting and holding interest if by a spell. Science has discovered that hypnotism and suggestion can alter brain function and the neural circuits involved in decision making. A few months ago when I visited the Kjos website sons of god that kBoy gave us, I listened to a message called Remembering or Remembrance from the Spiritual Warfare book. I hadn't listened to a LW message in decades and I was struck by how seductive to me the audio tape was even though now I recognize the content of the message as hype. Not everyone is prone to hypnotic suggestion and maybe not every LW message was highly hypnotic. I would be interested in the findings if a science academic trained in suggestion and hypnosis analyzed the Remembering tape, I mentioned above.

Good to hear from you Cloudwatcher. While the Bible resonates with me and I like expository teaching of the content, it didn't/doesn't have the same effect on me as the LW messages. For me I think that to comprehend the Bible my mind has to be active, in other words, engage my mind and many of the LW messages made me feel so good that it numbed my brain. It's difficult to explain the difference but for me I think there's a difference.

Good to hear from you cloudwatcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: August 16, 2016 02:55AM

Since there seems to be an interest in the hypnotic effect of TLWF teaching/worship, I wanted to suggest that everyone viewing this thread read “Cults Inside Out” by Rick Ross, the founder of this website. I think it will provide a deeper insight into the mechanics of cults, whether religious or political, and will be of value to everyone. It doesn’t matter if you are highly educated, you can be deceived. I think some lights may come on for some when they see how this process was utilized by TLWF. It is important to understand why TLWF is considered a destructive cult – and you can actually know, if you have the courage to do so.

One of the things that caught me by surprise, as I began to do research on the internet as well as read a number of books, was the number of cults that were very similar to TLWF. Some even had their own prophetic communities. Doctrines vary a little, but the mechanics and the consequences are identical. They all stress their uniqueness, but it becomes quickly apparent that they are not.

In Christian cults, the charismatic founder has typically been kicked out of a mainstream Christian group. This should be a red flag since it is a group of people who are well acquainted with the individual and have determined they are harmful to others. They typically start with a mystical experience with some spirit being – I would suspect demonic now - and are given special teaching that is back dropped against some apocalyptic world view. They begin to use fear to motivate followers, insisting the leader is the only person with God-given insight to direct them in the coming crisis. Followers are isolated from other Christians and family members, and their worldview is dismantled. The brainwashing continues with input by the leader that others are inferior and they alone the chosen ones – as long as they continue to follow the leader. Followers become so open to suggestion that no matter how bizarre the teaching, they no longer question anything – sometimes to the point of being willing to die for their beliefs. The new plumb line for truth becomes what the leader says, instead of anything else they have been taught – including the words of Jesus.

Eventually the bad fruit of the teaching becomes evident, and the follower will be blamed – even though they have been doing everything the leader has instructed. Those that choose to leave are slandered and demonized. Those that remain are instructed to have nothing to do with the apostates. When the leader finally dies and the followers are left with unfulfilled promises and a flatter wallet, the group begins to crumble because the teaching does not have enough substance on its own to hold things together – it also requires a charismatic leader to manipulate followers. Especially where “prophetic predictions” have taken place, it becomes evident that the teaching was false. Usually family members end up with the assets and then it’s on to the next group and more unsuspecting followers. This is why I think those of us who have suffered in one of these cults need to speak up and warn others.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: August 16, 2016 03:03AM

HOAX

The
great hoax

foisted by
all doctrines

has been their
infallibility

Posted by: TheJewel ()
Date: August 17, 2016 12:37AM

larry bobo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
>
> .....that is back dropped against some
> apocalyptic world view. They begin to use fear to
> motivate followers, insisting the leader is the
> only person with God-given insight to direct them
> in the coming crisis.
>

Sounds like Donald Trump

-- sorry, I couldn't resist :-)

Jewel

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: August 17, 2016 02:35AM

> "We are in a time of repentance to move into a new
> level with the Lord, seeking His perfect will and
> His presence.
"

If (God forbid) I suffer dementia, I hope this is not the line I repeat over and over to whomever has the misfortune of looking after me. For their sake, Oh God, please let it not be so!

Date: August 17, 2016 09:03AM

changedagain Wrote:
> "We are in a time of repentance to move into
a new
level with the Lord, seeking His perfect will and
His presence.
"

If (God forbid) I suffer dementia, I hope this is
not the line I repeat over and over to whomever
has the misfortune of looking after me. For their
sake, Oh God, please let it not be so!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Laughing but not sure why. Oh well, God forbid Walkies scream, "Death to the Nephilim," when they carry us off.

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: August 17, 2016 02:27PM

TheJewel - "Sounds like Donald Trump"
The mechanic is the same, and Trump is not the first one to use it. At least you are connecting the dots - many are not. When I examine my history with TLWF, there were many red flags I chose to ignore along the way. Many of my sensible Christian friends have asked how I could possibly end up so far out in left field. There were times when every cell in my body knew it was wrong, yet I wanted to be obedient and considered it a test of my obedience. I understand much better now why Jesus said to examine the fruit - it's really not a doctrinal debate. Even Jesus didn't meet the requirements of the Pharisees doctrines, and he was God. The real test is: Do you manifest the fruit of the Spirit or the fruit of the flesh?

A few months ago, many Republicans could easily see Trump's character flaws. Now that he is the Republican nominee, winning has become more important than character and they have stopped seeing what was so obvious before. "There is none so blind as he who will not see". Cults are not just religious. My biggest mistake was that I let man take the place of God - and I suffered the consequences. Hopefully, America will not do the same.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: August 17, 2016 07:50PM

BREAKING NEWS: Barely Making a Living

"What Are You Living For?"

August 14, 2016

[www.churchofthelivingword.com]

"Sometimes you have to ask yourself the question, 'What am I living for?'" (Or, why haven't I checked out of the asylum?)

"If you are looking for real meaning in your life, you need to be freed from the thinking of this (TLW) world."

"Our oneness, our worship, our serving the Lord, our success in life, all depends on our right relating in the Kingdom (which TLW has perfected)."

"Right relationships are based on a oneness with the Lord (TLW leadership), and a oneness with each other (as sanctioned by TLW leadership)."

"Wrong relationships are based on our needs (or not contributing to TLW upward flow)."

"Our greatest desire should be to serve the Lord (TLW leadership)."

"When we learn how to walk with God in this way (serving TLW leadership), we won't be oppressed by the futility of this age (only the TLW leadership), and all other things that we need will be added to us (but not by TLW leadership)."

Date: August 18, 2016 01:55AM

kBOY Wrote:
> BREAKING NEWS: Barely Making a Living
>
> "What Are You Living For?"

> August 14, 2016
>
> [www.churchofthelivingword.com]-
> are-you-living-for/
>
> "Sometimes you have to ask yourself the question,
> 'What am I living for?'" Duh....dominion, an elite ministry, a rod of iron to break the back of the rebellious. More cow bell, pleazzzzzze.
>

Date: August 19, 2016 07:36AM

larry bobo Wrote in part on 8/11/16:
> Now TLWF’s history has to be
> rewritten, like many others, because of all of
> John’s failed prophesies or there will be loss
> of control over the membership. Normal Christians
> just say, “It didn’t happen therefore it was
> not God.” – but, they don’t have as a goal
> to control others.
>
> TLWF is certainly not the first one to have failed
> prophesies, including dates. Skilled deceivers
> say “The end is near.‘- instead of giving
> actual dates where they can be proved wrong - like
> 1979. Many other groups also have people that
> continue to follow failed prophesies in spite of
> the facts that would say otherwise. Brains are
> just checked at the door and they simply follow a
> good feeling along with a lot of good people.

So true. I think there are some, including myself, that would like to say about Brother Stevens, "You spoke this and that over me and other members, but you were just wrong."

There are many groups presently as there were in the past who convince themselves that God is going to raise up an elite group to usher in the kingdom of God in the last days and voila, they are it. In fact during the early days of the reformation, there was a group in Muenster, Germany who thought Christ's return was imminent and guess where Christ was going to return to.....Muenster!

That was a well thought out and articulate post Larry and I learned a lot from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2016 07:43AM by lily rose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.