Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: TheJewel ()
Date: January 06, 2016 07:35AM

Hi,

This is my first post here. I have read through all the posts in this thread (a long, long, slog -- but very enlightening).

I was in TLW twice, once from 1970 to 1972 and a second time from 1975 to 1978. All of this was in the San Diego (Coniah Chapel). I actually started "pre-Coniah" in RD Cronquist's garage. I was a close friend of Dave Cokas and came into TLW along with him and a small crowd of people he had with him. I bailed out in '72 a combination of breaking up with a girlfriend and a desire to refocus on an engineering degree (which I did complete eventually).

I rejoined in '75 (with a new girlfriend, this time who I ultimately married at Coniah). Mathew Martinez officiated -- I am curious what happened to him. I left the second time when the intercession (or what my wife referred to as "yelling at God") just got too flippin weird. I remember yelling "WE LOOSE THE APOSTLE" so loud so many times that it should have taken an entire drum of Immodium to tighten him back up. I remember we kept God up really late -- probably ticked him off big time.

It is sad to hear that so many people got messed up in this thing. It was getting freakier by the day around '78. I pulled the plug with no regrets and never looked back. I don't really hold any anamosity or bitterness. At the same time, I had no idea that some of the things that are discussed here went on.

Anyway, this is sort of a test post. This is my second try to open an account but it looks like I am in this time. More to come....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Apostle Dog ()
Date: January 06, 2016 08:45AM

Welcome TheJewel. It's good to meet you.

Posted by: LampShmamp ()
Date: January 06, 2016 12:51PM

Welcome to the forum, TheJewel. I look forward to your posts. Hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: January 06, 2016 10:56PM

Welcome TheJewel. I'm tempted to greet with you with a long, long slog of a post...but that will have to wait.
I just don't have the energy right now.

Posted by: pbxguy ()
Date: January 06, 2016 11:32PM

Welcome, TheJewel.
I myself am in the middle of the slog you reference. Nearly finished. Enlightening indeed, yes? I am also a product of the barn and RD. Came in around '71 and left a couple of years after JRS's death in '83, and the ensuing madness that occurred as a result. (that is not to say that some form of madness was not present prior to his death. :)
My hope is that the good people who remain in the TLW will wake up from the trance and that perhaps they will find this forum to be a bit of an anchor to help them through the rudderless period that can follow a departure from organizations like The Walk, TLWF, or whatever else they are calling themselves these days.
I do indeed wish you all the best!

Date: January 09, 2016 02:49AM

Not much going on today--just searching for my Franklin Planner. The last time I recall using it was 19 years ago, so my expectation of finding it is pretty low.

Date: January 09, 2016 03:44AM

Does this forum work? I keep getting an error message when I try to post.

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: January 09, 2016 03:48AM

I've got an old can of Superfood from Dr. Schulze and a red pepper tincture from Marilyn Farms. Does that count?

Date: January 09, 2016 03:51AM

Lamp, Changed, PBX and Apostle, thanks for the welcomes. Looks like PBX is one of the original “Barn-stormers” in SD. I remember that place being cold in the winter and unbearably hot in the summer. I was happy when I returned in ’75 (or so) to find a new air-conditioned facility in place of the barn, for sure.

I wanted to make a comment in answer to someone’s post (too lazy to go back and hunt down who) regarding whether JRS was a member of the John Birch Society. While I cannot say one way or the other whether JRS himself carried a membership card, I am pretty sure that many of the key players in the walk at that time were followers of the major conspiracy theorists of the day and subscribed to a lot of their ideas. This was particularly true of RD Cronquist. I know he was following Dr. Peter D. Beeter (how do you get a name like that?) who was dredging up some of the most amazing stuff. You can do a Google search on this guy if you like. I remember one night in late ’77 RD called a restricted elders meeting to play one of Beeters tapes (#26 dated 9/30/77, I believe) regarding a particle beam weapon that the Russians had built on the moon and how they were holding the US hostage, blah, blah, blah.

I remember a lot of this sort of thing at the time; it dovetailed nicely with the Nephilim thing and the Rockefeller – Illuminati conspiracy theorems that were also popular at the time. JRS wove some of this stuff into some of his preaching but never seemed quite as into it as RD was. At the same time I doubt that any of these guys were dues paying members of the JB society, they wouldn’t need to be the info was pretty freely available and I suspect that some of the congregants were.

Someone else asked about storing food, ammo guns etc. Some were doing all of that (preparing for the tribulation, the zombie apocalypse or whatever) but I don’t think anything but the food part was being strongly pushed from the pulpit. The trouble with the food part is that while they encouraged people to buy it (from the church store – I forgot what the name for that “kingdom business” was), they didn’t really educate people in how to prepare it for storage. I popped the lid on some of that stuff about 5 years after leaving the walk and it had gone pretty bad. Had the apocalypse come, I think some people would have been awfully disappointed (not to mention hungry).

Date: January 09, 2016 06:00AM

TheJewel Wrote:
> JRS himself carried a membership card, I am pretty
> sure that many of the key players in the walk at that
> time were followers of the major conspiracy theorists of the
> day and subscribed to a lot of their ideas. This
> was particularly true of RD Cronquist. I know he
> was following Dr. Peter D. Beeter (how do you get
> a name like that?) who was dredging up some of the
> most amazing stuff. You can do a Google search on
> this guy if you like. I remember one night in
> late ’77 RD called a restricted elders meeting
> to play one of Beeters tapes (#26 dated 9/30/77, I
> believe) regarding a particle beam weapon that the
> Russians had built on the moon and how they were
> holding the US hostage, blah, blah, blah.

This is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Could you imagine a documentary being made detailing just some of what went on in The Walk/TLWF??
OMG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.