Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: February 07, 2015 09:44AM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, some of it was necessary. But it definitely
> took on a life of its own...and became
> all-consuming for a number of people.

I think the reason I have satirized Miller's silly call that a movie character named Rizzo was a channel was because the whole neph craze began to take on a life of its own and led to church leaders making accusations against congregants (mainly females for example Helen Young and Ruth Klein) that seemed similar to other witch hunts in the history of our country. Then following the death of JRS, I learned from reading Fact Net the other congregants were accused of being "channels" and subsequently excommunicated.

I did a little research on past witch hunts. From 1692-93 over 200 people (mainly females)in Salem, Mass were alleged to be witches with 19 being executed by hanging. One of the first women accused said she made a deal with the devil. This was called the Salem Witch Trails or The Great Witch Craze.

100 years earlier in Europe people were consumed with identifying witches and estimated 40,000 were executed.

It is a sad commentary how some beliefs in the LW about nephs and channels took on a life of their own, consumed some people, and eventually damaged many lives.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: February 07, 2015 10:07AM

In a similar vein, albeit with a different target, was the emphasis in the early to mid-90's in destroying the "male spirit." It coincided with the exaltation of Marilyn as the "Lamp of Israel." Part of my experience during the time period--aside from countless hours of "volunteer labor" on various LA churches and a Hargrave home--and my wife being instructed to "kill" my male spirit, was submitting to a directive that I turn pages for the organist or pianist for a couple hundred services or so. This is I did, with a precision and timeliness not matched by subsequent page turners. Ooops...strike the previous line. It's very likely a manifestation of the male spirit that was not totally eradicated in the purge.

Date: February 07, 2015 12:24PM

changedagain Wrote:

"Part of my experience during the time
period.....was submitting to a directive that I
turn pages for the organist or pianist for a
couple hundred services or so. This is I did, with
a precision and timeliness not matched by
subsequent page turners."

The Page Turner (French 2006)

Posted by: Saw enough ()
Date: February 08, 2015 03:02AM

You will know that the leopard has changed its spots when this scenario stops happening:

Someone with ambition in the local church begins coming on stronger than everyone else in their expressions of violent loyalty to Gary & Marilyn.

The woman especially tries to portray herself as one of "Marilyn's women."

Sheep start to be beaten or slaughtered and issued ultimatums of "Either get behind the program or get the hell out."

If abuses get to be too much or if too many people start to leave, the shepherds are removed and put under a program with a more "mature" espouser of the party line until the offending shepherds demonstrate that they have been properly chastened..

Someone new is put in place of authority with promises of "A New Day for the ______________ Church."

Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: February 08, 2015 09:05AM

I like your post Saw enough. It’s been the same scenario all along, only the names have changed. I remember attending some feasts back in the seventies when those with ambition would seemingly try to “Out prophesy” each other at the podium. I suppose they received their glory. I suppose everybody climbing the “church ladder” gets their glory eventually.

I think the preacher who wrote the book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible would classify the lofty positions in TLWF attained by the aggressive elite --- the suck ups & kiss asses as just another vanity. Perhaps even a double or triple vanity. It’s definitely BS.

Date: February 09, 2015 02:39AM

I think Shakespeare's term "vaulting ambition" is a good description of what you guys are talking about. I started to see it in the Valley Church during the neph craze/focus on JRS's breakthrough. It was like two churches were emerging. Those who's intercession was fluent, forceful and loud were the ones destined "to enter in" and the rest who were struggling with the new program (i.e. praying for death) were considered to be just playing church. But because many of us thought we were part of something special and didn't read our Bibles we were blind to what was going on.

Phil 2:3-4 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather in humility value others above yourselves....

James 3:16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exists, there is disorder and every evil thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 02:44AM by lily rose.

Date: February 09, 2015 02:45AM

I think members of the fellowship should not put themselves down should they struggle with insecurity. Given that everyone is expendable...with the notable exception of Marilyn, Gary, Rick...insecurity is a reasonable mindset.
The previous posts are very insightful (Saw Enough, FCSLC, Lily).

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: February 09, 2015 05:13AM

I think Fear of Rejection is what gives G&M their power. It keeps people afraid of getting kicked out of the inner circle. So they toe the line and compete to be the one "most given".

Date: February 10, 2015 11:35PM

Mom & Dad are sociopaths--but we must honor them!

paleface Wrote:
> I think Fear of Rejection is what gives G&M their
> power. It keeps people afraid of getting kicked
> out of the inner circle. So they toe the line and
> compete to be the one "most given".

Posted by: jhorning ()
Date: February 13, 2015 10:33PM

paleface Wrote:
> I think Fear of Rejection is what gives G&M their
> power. It keeps people afraid of getting kicked
> out of the inner circle. So they toe the line and
> compete to be the one "most given".

"The Fear of Rejection". I remember a word (a this week) with that title.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.