Current Page: 96 of 1260
Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: paleface ()
Date: October 17, 2014 01:23AM

There are several incorrect statements in Cox's video. Like the name of Grace Chapel being changed to Genesis Chapel. Wasn't it the other way around? And I recall JRS passing away in early June '83 and being buried in Shiloh in August or Sept of 1983. Not that odd to me. Another thing annoying is the wrong voice spliced onto the video of John. That's just tacky film-making. But hidden within this crummy film are the nuggests of truth of just how far off course the LW was headed (and continues today).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Invisible ()
Date: October 17, 2014 01:54AM

Just a few things I noticed in viewing the video.

Did you notice that when ever J.R.S' . picture was shown on the video - some one speaks over his voice so you are unable to hear what he is really saying or another persons voice is used - making it appear that it is J.R.S. doing the speaking. What J.R.S. himself spoke - was never heard on the video.

And the video is said to be about John Robert Stevens and the Walk , in the Disclaimer. I noticed that in the disclaimer that no one - takes any real responsibility for what is being said in the video. It is being presented as no more than an educational tool and not as being the truth.
But it is presented in a manner to support what ever is said about John Stevens and the Walk as if it were the truth.

I was at the service where the ( ministry ) speaking about the ground swallowing up Korah which was used in the video. The video makes it seem as if John Stevens is the one who is speaking - John's image is used while another man is speaking. At the service after John Stevens had preached - many commented and the person speaking is one of many different kinds of comments that were made at the end of that service just before the offering was taken up.

An old saying - "Never judge a book by its cover"
I also noticed that images of the this weeks were used in the video to reinforce the idea that John Stevens frequently preached a violent message - by the titles selected and images shown of the This Weeks. Any one who was present to hear the content of what is written in the
" This Weeks " - knows the content had nothing to do with being violent or with violence.

One thing in favor of the walk - I think - is that the members of the church were not out on the streets committing crimes against the members of society because of their religious doctrines and strong beliefs.

The free and intense focused expression the walk had the liberty to move in - in their services - is that they were just screaming at the top of their lungs together - for change to come. IMO It was a passing through place - and the main thing hurt by all the screaming that was done -years later, is probably one's own pride.

Date: October 17, 2014 05:05AM

Anthony D. Cox's statement is both extremely distorted and perverse about J.R.S. telling the ministry to have sex with the certain members of women in the church.

In Anaheim - there was a pastor who was preying on some of the women in the church for his own pleasure - using his position as a pastor & as a ministry - to secretly influence some of the women to believe that a shepherd having his way with his sheep was in the Bible and was an acceptable relationship with in the church.

When what this pastor was secretly doing was discovered - it was reported to John Stevens as the overseeing ministry of the church. An internal investigation was made so as to make sure this man was not being falsely accused and it was found that this man " was " preying on some of the women in the church he was pastoring. This man was privately confronted by J.R.S. and some of the brothers and this man was set out of the church as both a ministry and a member of the Church by John Robert Stevens and the eldership.

In the Video - It is obvious to me & also my opinion - that Tony Cox concocted his own story about a list of women - My opinion is Cox heard rumblings and used his own imagination to try to figure out what was going on - since the names of the women being preyed on were not publically made known (for the sake of their privacy) The members of the church were given a general account of what had been taking place - as to the reason this pastor was no longer pastoring the church, in an announcement made by John Stevens - to the church in Anaheim.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: October 17, 2014 07:13AM

Ditch Digger Yasper thanks for improving the video sound. Much better. Even the followers of William Branham were reported to have taken their time with his burial as they believed he would be resurrected. Regarding JRS there was so much prayerful "first fruits first" intercession shouting that began years before his passing that to believe JRS would be resurrected probably seemed within the realm of the faith of some of the followers. Also, I can confirm, JRS had a charisma like nothing I have ever seen. When Nichols pointed out in the video that JRS had this Santa Claus like quality of being so genuine and sincere seemingly without guile, I thought that's right on. I would imagine those in the inner circle who lived in the glow of JRS's charisma probably really wanted JRS to be brought back and thought resurrection possible. But it wasn't to be. And from the outside looking in it can seem silly but I think that's what happens to folks who get caught up in deifying a man.

Invisible commented that the main thing hurt years later by all the screaming at God that was done back then--was one's own pride. That may be true, but what I got from that demanding, screaming and throwing rocks at God phase was not freedom. I had to relearn how pray not with violence but with humility and

Date: October 17, 2014 07:27AM

Ditch Digger Yasper thanks for improving the video sound. Much better. Even the followers of William Branham were reported to have taken their time with his burial as they believed he would be resurrected. Regarding JRS there was so much prayerful "first fruits first" intercession shouting that began years before his passing that to believe JRS would be resurrected probably seemed within the realm of the faith of some of the followers. Also, I can confirm, JRS had a charisma like nothing I have ever seen. When Nichols pointed out in the video that JRS had this Santa Claus like quality of being so genuine and sincere seemingly without guile, I thought that's right on. I would imagine those in the inner circle who lived in the glow of JRS's charisma probably really wanted JRS to be brought back and thought resurrection possible. But it wasn't to be. And from the outside looking in it can seem silly but I think that's what happens to folks who get caught up in deifying a man.

Invisible commented that the main thing hurt years later by all the screaming at God that was done back then--was one's own pride. That may be true, but what I got from that demanding, screaming and throwing rocks at God phase was not freedom. I had to relearn how pray without arrogance and my demands.

I agree with Larry Bobo that hopefully more folks will come forward to share their insights and experiences. It has been so helpful to me to read all your posts. I don't have any citations at hand but I recall reading that it can take up to 30 years or more for some folks to revisit or talk about past traumatizing events. I am so grateful this forum keeps keeping on.

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: October 17, 2014 08:15AM

I think it reflects highly on those who have unjustly suffered from their involvement in TLWF and yet are still quick to point out false accusations against it. It’s the truth spoken in love that sets us free – not an agenda to falsely discredit TLWF. Things are not just black and white. There were also many good things that many of us spent 20 or 30 years of our lives supporting. But, there were also a lot of damaged lives that were swept under the rug when they no longer served the leader’s purposes.

Here’s what the Lord really thinks of “the upward flow” in Ezekiel 34: “Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them; ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who only take care of themselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock? You eat the curds, clothe yourselves with the wool and slaughter the choice animals, but you do not take care of the flock. You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally. So they were scattered because there was no shepherd, and when they were scattered they became food for all the wild animals. My sheep wandered over all the mountains and on every high hill. They were scattered over the whole earth, and no one searched or looked for them.’…I am against the shepherds and will hold them accountable for my flock. I will remove them from tending the flock so that the shepherds can no longer feed themselves. I will rescue my flock from their mouths, and it will no longer be food for them.”

Here’s what we discover when we pursue after Him alone: “I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. I will bring them out from the nations and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them into their own land. I will pasture them on the mountains of Israel, in the ravines and in all the settlements in the land. I will tend them in a good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel will be their grazing land. There they will lie down in good grazing land, and there they will feed in a rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign Lord. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice.” A true word for today.

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: October 17, 2014 08:33AM

lily rose - I also did not obtain any freedom from the "violent intercession". Praying for a free John and a dead Martha produced neither. I'm not so sure much of the "warfare" we faced was nothing more than our own bad spirit's karma. Loving our enemies as Jesus commanded, is far more productive and healthy. I also have come to question the validity of raising our vibration in worship. It tends to lead to a lofty view of self instead of coming and bowing in surrender to Him. He is the one to be exalted, not us. Even though He is King of kings and Lord of lords, He is far more of a servant than I ever thought - something Satan really hates and so does his "angels of light".

Date: October 17, 2014 09:17AM

It looks like my above post before Larry's got cut off. I don't know why that happened but in part of the missing section I wanted to thank Invisible for clarifying the Anaheim church incident regarding preying upon woman. I think we all know that JRS didn't stand for that kind of behavior and it's good to make that very clear by showing how he handled such matters. I want to thank everyone for their posts. Your insights even the jokes have been really helpful to me. I don't have citations readily available, but I once read that when we are damaged or traumatized, for some it can take up to 30 years to revisit it or even talk about it and some do neither. One remark that stood out for me when I came to this forum was a comment by Invisible regarding one my posts in which she said "at least we can talk about." And even when we disagree about what we should talk about, all of this is to edify, heal, and restore.

Date: October 18, 2014 12:21AM

IMO It was a passing through place - and the main thing hurt by all the screaming that was done -years later, is probably one's own pride.
--------------------
What I had in mind in writing the above sentence - is I was reflecting on many of the comments that have been made by many who have posted over the years, who said they were embarrassed or felt stupid - in looking back - in remembering all the time they spent, screaming or yelling during the services - and a lot of jokes were made about it too.

I was not talking about the words used or about how we are to approach God with our requests in prayer. - I wasn't referring to a focus on John Stevens - or the nephillium spirit - which the congregation was NOT aware that - some - were thinking about Martha as being a spiritual enemy - which we all have agreed was not right and was far off the track with God . I was just talking about the yelling and screaming by itself..

I myself during those years - was not vocal in any of the services in all the years I was attending the church - I never prophesied out loud in public nor did I pray out loud in public.

With out giving an explanation as to why I wasn't yelling with the rest of the members - I will say - that I did not think any thing bad so as to be against the people having the freedom to make loud sounds with their voices or to blast their emotions into the air - from the depths of their souls - some day with out yelling - it may be that many will touch the hem of His garment. Matthew 6:6

I was not against this freedom. And in saying this - I wasn't talking about what we all have agreed and said was wrong - with some of the content and focus of that expression.

So this morning after reading the posts that followed my post - I googled Therapeutic Screaming and yelling - only to discover that what was taking place in the church ( in a similar way ) was also introduced in the 1970's - as Primal Therapy - created by Dr. Arthur Janov and it is still being used today - as a trauma based - Psychotherapy . While it is a matter of controversy yet today - it is being studied scientifically.

Funny -countless thousands of other people were screaming and yelling at what ever they were yelling at in clinics world wide- while we too were yelling in church . Wikipedia has a interesting article about it - Titled - Primal Therapy.

Who knows, for some, there may have been a benefit and healing , secretly taking place in the midst of all that yelling ?

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: October 18, 2014 02:59AM

It's near impossible for me to separate the act of screaming vs. the content of what the person happens to be screaming about. The connection, I suspect, will remain in my consciousness through this life. Participating in literally thousands of church services where it was a rarity that someone or something was not being judged, almost all the hysteria based on illusory thinking...has created a deep aversion within me to screaming in general. I suppose at this point in my life if someone is screaming about something other than religion or politics, I might bother to listen.

P.S. YOU BETTER AGREE WITH ME, OR YOU ARE DESCENDED FROM ANAK AND PROBABLY WOULD HAVE VOTED FOR ROBERT KENNEDY!!!!!!!!

Current Page: 96 of 1260

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.