Current Page: 65 of 1260
Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: jhorning ()
Date: May 15, 2014 03:23AM

A BIG thank you to paleface, FCSLC, and changedagain for your thoughtful replies to what I posted. I understand what you're saying and it helped me.

We were no longer members of "the walk" after 1984. The 3rd genereation movement (imo) and the forced submission we were subjected to was just one factor contributing to the "fall" of the Roman Empire, oops excuse me, the living word fellowship.The organization g+m preside over went from over 100 churches and home meetings to only 11 churches (based on their website).

Get them while they are young. From tlwf website: "Dedicated teachers teach curriculum from the Scriptures and current messages spoken in the services, breaking them down for each child to understand and walk in. The kids then join the main church service, worshiping and participating as vital congregants."

As Jesus said,let the little vital congregants come to me...What? Referring to children as "...vital congregants...". C'mon get real.

FCSLC: Mormons? Kettle meet pot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: May 19, 2014 02:22AM

Quote jhorning on May 11, 2014 07:05 AM:

“People had/have the right to choose or reject teaching(s) that go beyond what Christ taught.”

I remember larry bobo saying the same thing in some previous posts on this forum.

----------------------------------------------------

Strongs Concordance: Obey, Obedient, Obeyed, Obeying, Obeyeth, Obeisance.

Amazing, I can’t find any references to Jesus using the above terms concerning marriage checkouts, when to take vacations, what house to buy, where to work, what people to associate with, church attendance, what courses to take in college, what concert to go to, what movie to see, where to spend down time, which mountain to climb, what kind of bicycle to buy, who deserves adulation, who should be shunned, how to think, etc, etc.

Lordy, I’ve spent three quarters of my life living in an unnecessary straight jacket. It’s both embarrassing and stupid and a testimony to my ignorance.

All teaching should be prefaced by the following: -------- People had/have the right to choose or reject teaching(s) that go beyond what Christ taught.

Thank you jhorning and larry bobo.

The road to freedom keeps getting better and better.

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: May 19, 2014 11:14AM

Yes, it is embarrassing. What can I say? I was young and dumb and wanted so badly to be accepted and a part of something cool (what I thought was important and revolutionary).

Yikes! (slaps his forehead).... I coulda had a V-8 !

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: May 26, 2014 12:37AM

paleface Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are many compromised
> spines in the LW fellowship.

Gary would never have allowed it--but a functioning, independent system of check and balances in the fellowship would have spared people of so much unnecessary suffering and missteps through the years. Meanwhile, Gary emphasizes "oneness" in his messages, knowing full well that he will never have to defer to another's interpretation of scripture should it contrast with his own.

Posted by: jhorning ()
Date: May 26, 2014 01:39AM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> paleface Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There are many compromised
> > spines in the LW fellowship.
>
> Gary would never have allowed it--but a
> functioning, independent system of check and
> balances in the fellowship would have spared
> people of so much unnecessary suffering and
> missteps through the years. Meanwhile, Gary
> emphasizes "oneness" in his messages, knowing full
> well that he will never have to defer to another's
> interpretation of scripture should it contrast
> with his own.

The problem with some leaders is they forget they too are sheep.

Date: May 26, 2014 11:09AM

When the “Great Boss in the Sky” finally takes over, then we’ll have a boss who is not bossy.

Posted by: Invisible ()
Date: May 30, 2014 01:53AM

By observation - IMO

People have been leaving the church for generations. Some come, others go. All for many different reasons. Those that remain as members of the organization - are not all convicted by the Holy Spirit concerning the same things.

Josephs brother's sold him into slavery ( they robbed him of his life with his own family ) they wanted him out of their lives and when they had put him in a pit - they must have heard him crying and reacting to what they were doing to him , but the majority of his brothers had no conscience toward God or what they were doing to their brother. It was 20 to 25 years that had passed before his brothers cried to Joseph, "Forgive, forgive." They meant what they had done to Joseph for his harm but God meant it and made it - for the good of Joseph , good for a nation of people, and for the preservation of Joseph's own family - during a great famine. . We know by what is written - that Joseph loved his brothers and that he received them - when God fulfilled what God had revealed concerning Joseph to his family - which they were highly offended by, when Joseph told them the dream he had , when he was just a lad

God causes all things to work together for good, for those who love God, who are called according to His purposes. Including those who are much like Joseph's brother's.

Those of TLWF who " have heard " yet have no interest - in hearing - many saying over the many years - that it is wrong - for any one - to support or to be a party with any one - who separates' spouses from one another and divides the members of a family ( supposing that this in any way is God's will ) .... no member of TLWF has agreed with those who have brought this matter to their attention. No one who is a member of TLWF acknowledges - that any wrong has been done.

All in God's own time.

P.S. - IMO - unless you as a member in TLWF are open to consider that something may be wrong with some of the things you have been taught to believe - you will most likely continue to let other people think for you and tell you how you are to think about God, yourself and other people

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: May 30, 2014 08:16AM

I left in 1980. Some months ago a friend led me to this site and fact net. Some of what I have learned here occurred decades ago. But one thing that stands out are the family members and friends who use this site to speak up for their loved ones and friends. In particular, the daughter who recently spoke out about the way her dying mother was disrespected and treated by the San Diego pastor/church; Mrs. Beavers regarding Jerry's exile (I worked at the Living Word with Jerry during the 1970's and he was the example of the amazing power of Christ to transform lives); Sherry for lifting up Bob (who I met once at Shiloh), and Larry Bobo for honoring and speaking out about the circumstances surrounding Mike Woods suicide (I briefly knew Mike.) I can only imagine posing your words must have been a sweet fragrance well pleasing to God.

I often wondered how I ended up in an aberrant authoritative movement? This site is helping me sort it out. So much discussion about the unscriptural authority and personal control over the private lives. Goggle the Greek word "exousia" which means "authority of truth" to learn how it's misapplication in The Living Word Fellowship and other churches continues.

The poet Maya passed yesterday and her signature words that gave voice to all here struggles were, "And yet I rise....." seems meaningful here.

Date: June 01, 2014 09:20AM

Exousia: Contained in 93 New Testament verses, the root word for 102 variously translated words/applications; amazing studies available at our “Google -- ing” fingertips.

lily rose -- Thank you. The good ones can use this word “exousia” to give you personal freedom while the bad ones can use it to subvert and subjugate you. I can envision someone preaching for good or evil in my mind right now.

The “War in Heaven” for me is about personal agency: The right to reject that which goes beyond Christ’s teachings and the right to not entrust oneself to cultic human B.S. or any other dominating type beings/life forms or organizations. I would enjoy reading any special insights you have received over the years if you care to share/post them on this forum.

Thanks again to all the posters on this forum and the less frequent topics brought to light by them; I so desperately needed to hear all this stuff, it is empowering. Freedom and empowerment is extremely precious for those (especially me) who have escaped the “Walk” and current TLWF.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: June 01, 2014 10:42AM

lily rose
<I often wondered how I ended up in an aberrant authoritative movement? This site is helping me sort it out.>

That's good to know, Lily Rose. Welcome!

the social dynamics:
"While the fellowship is filled with many quality professionals, they are all treated like two-year olds who must have their will crossed and who are incapable of making even the most minor decisions without consulting their DRs. For grown people to subject themselves to all of that, in the name of submission, is
laughable."
--an excerpt from an email I received years ago from a friend, also a former long-time member of TLWF

Current Page: 65 of 1260

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.