Current Page: 11 of 1260
Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: June 12, 2011 01:21AM

jhorning
I've reached out recently to current members that I have known for years, but they won't talk about the walk or what is going on. They will not respond to me if I question what they are doing.

John,
The short answer is they probably believe they are on the right path, and having invested most of their lives in this, are wary of listening to anyone that might sway them from their course. Most of the people in TLWF tend to be extremely loyal in nature, genuine in their commitment--and instinctively resistant to anyone that does not share the viewpoint that they are being led by a word from God. Their first responsibility, as they see it, is to be obedient and not lose faith. You represent a challenge to this.
That said, the double standard is obvious once you've created some distance from this mass hypnosis. The leadership
(Hargraves), do not subject themselves to the same requirements they lay upon everyone else. Is anyone, even if designated to do so, really free to check their actions or teachings...without fear of retribution?
But if you are Christ in the earth--why allow yourself to be crossed by someone else?
It's good being Christ in the earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2011 01:38AM by changedagain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: paleface ()
Date: June 25, 2011 01:12PM

I've been re-reading the book "Twisted Scriptures" by Mary Alice Chrnalogar. It is very eye- opening. I highly recommend it to all past and current Living Word members. It discusses in great detail the abuses that occur in Shepherding type churches. Can you say "designated relationship"? The shoe clearly fits here.

Posted by: Lundungoth ()
Date: July 23, 2011 05:44AM

"You probably remember the Machal's? I know Michelle. She is no longer in it, but the rest of her family is."

That is not a true statement. I am a Machal. None of us are in it except Lois, my grandma who doesn't think for herself. But who cares - she married Ken Boney, another bible-thumping Living Word retard. Yeah, Michelle is my aunt. She left a long time ago and joined her ex-husband's church. She now goes to an entirely different church, an African American church near where she lives now. So none of us are involved (even though my grandma is desperately trying to get my cousin Ryan into it), and let's keep it that way. We have brains. :)

Date: July 23, 2011 05:47AM

"I knew Mark and Fred Well."

Mark left the church ages ago. Fred was my grandpa and he died a long time ago. Lois remarried and is now married to Ken Boney. Mark is not the hyper, free-loving person that he used to be, but hey - gotta love my uncle.

Date: July 23, 2011 05:51AM

changedagain
You know that if Gary & Marilyn were not busy administering the Kingdom, they would be right out there with you: cutting the rose bushes, weeding in the lagoon, scrubbing the toilets with a tooth brush etc.
You sound like a whiner, who can't handle a little discipline.
Grow up!

Sounds more like free labor for tasks the church doesn't want to pay for. Gary is a crock who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Date: July 23, 2011 05:59AM

walking wounded
righteous mama
My neighbor was highly involved in this cult and I attended with them many times. They went to the North Hollywood church...and Anaheim. I took piano lessons from Jean Koonz (sp?) I remember JRS and remember when he died. I have odd memories from that time. I spent the night in the Blix House. One of the girls taught me to peel carrots there. (Funny what you remember) And I remember the pathway behind the house that led to JRS's house.

I remember my friend's sister's wedding. Odd. I remember a lot...but I'm not sure I should put down all my memories here. I wouldn't want anything to backfire on my friend.

Anyway, I'd be interested in sharing memories if anyone wants to PM or email me. Anyway attend Anaheim or NoHo?

Hi, righteous mama. I just found this forum and read your post. Yes, I attended both Anaheim and NoHo...as well as several others. You could say I was "born into it" right at the beginning since I was in JRS's family. Talk about your nightmare memories! I remember Jean Koonz, she was a very nice lady. I don't know what has happened to most of the people as I left the scene in 1979 and, until I found this forum, have never heard anything about "my old life". I remember the path between Bix and JRS's house...past the hot tub pool and sauna. Boy this is bringing back (too manyj!) memories. Nice to hear from you. If you have any questions or comments directed to me, please don't hesitate.
Regards

I'm sorry to tell you this. Jean Koonz died suddenly of a heart attack. No one really knew why. She took a walk with her husband, came home, took a large final breath, and just died on her couch. I really only met her once, but she was a very nice lady from what I saw.

Date: July 23, 2011 06:02AM

Amos
Simpsons' fans may recall that Homer also predicted the end of the world, and also made a minor math error.

Tell me about it. They give a date for the Kingdom to arrive and it doesn't happen. Then they change the date. WOW.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: July 26, 2011 01:43AM

Lundungoth
"I knew Mark and Fred Well."

Mark left the church ages ago. Fred was my grandpa and he died a long time ago. Lois remarried and is now married to Ken Boney. Mark is not the hyper, free-loving person that he used to be, but hey - gotta love my uncle.

Fred did my books shortly after I started my small business. He was always fair and kind toward me. I played softball in a community league with Mark for a couple years, when he was part of the Redland's church--and that was a blast. I didn't have much interaction with Lois, and wasn't familiar with any other Machals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 01:46AM by changedagain.

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: July 27, 2011 11:17AM

With Warren Jeffs back in the news, does anyone notice any similarities between the fundamental Mormon group and their personal experience? My wife and I had the privilege of spending a couple of days at Colorado City (the gated polygamist city) conducting some electrical training. To my surprise, they were a wonderful, outgoing, physically healthy community – just had multiple wives, some of which were pretty young. They reminded me a lot of the Amish in Iowa – just good people.

Whenever I see a leader taking the place of God and isolating their group to maintain control, it creeps me out. Even people in the world without much spiritual perception know something is not quite right. What is it that makes it so that those on the inside are so blinded? One group will look at another group and “know” that they alone have the hotline to heaven. Obviously, they are not all right. In some, the conviction runs so deep, they are willing to die for their beliefs.

Here are some excerpts from a letter about the situation after Warren Jeffs father died:

“Remember Uncle Rulon died on Sunday, dissolving the First Presidency. Warren was still only an elder. The following day, at Monday morning meeting, Uncle Warren, besides giving us details on the passing of Uncle Rulon, made this statement. "I won't say much, but I will say this, Hands off my father's wives." Speaking to the newly bereaved widows, he said, "You women will live as if father is still alive and in the next room." I remember thinking to myself, "Who in the world, at a time like this, would be lusting after Uncle Rulon's wives?" The thought sickened me.

This was said on Monday. By that Friday, Warren moved in on those women so fast, and with such finesse, that only two of his "mothers" had enough fortitude to stand up against him. Those stunned women, who had sincerely believed that their husband and prophet would live 350 years and give them children, went through the shock of losing their husband to death, seeing him buried, Warren proclaiming himself prophet quickly thereafter and then immediately receiving revelation to marry those women "found worthy of him" in secret ceremonies.“

Posted by: jhorning ()
Date: August 01, 2011 01:34PM

"To my surprise, they were a wonderful, outgoing, physically healthy community – just had multiple wives, some of which were pretty young."

Sorry Larry, I'm not buying it. How many wonderful, outgoing, physically healthy people are on a road towards destruction. Leaders can isolate because they are allowed to do so. Each person will be held accountable. Remember back in the garden: Adam blames Eve, Eve blames the serpent and God judges all three of them.

Nothing is new. Whether it be the living word fellowship or in Colorado City.

Just a few scriptures:
Matthew 24:24
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

Galatians 1:6
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel—

Colossians 2:8
See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.

Jude 1:4
For there are certain men crept in privily, even they who were of old written of beforehand unto this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Jude 1:12
These are they who are hidden rocks in your love-feasts when they feast with you, shepherds that without fear feed themselves; clouds without water, carried along by winds; autumn leaves without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

Current Page: 11 of 1260

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.