ALPHA COURSE and HOLY TRINITY BROMPTON (HTB).
Posted by: Titan ()
Date: April 02, 2007 05:45PM

Has anyone come across bullying or controlling behaviour at Holy Trinity Brompton Church (HTB) in London, UK? This is run by Nicky Gumball. The Alpha course is often described as cultic, but did you come across any bullying or spiritual abuse, perhaps in a pastorate or other small group? Perhaps you worked for the church at one time, and had a bad experience. Perhaps you still work there, but feel that you cannot talk openly. Please get in touch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bb01234 ()
Date: April 03, 2007 06:42AM

Hi there, if you run a search (see top right of your screen) in the forum you'll find a fair few posts. AFAIK there are others who find his services dubious but I cannot comment with any knowledge myself.

Regards

bb01234 (UK)

Posted by: Titan ()
Date: April 03, 2007 10:39PM

Thanks. Have you visited HTB, or are you a member?

A lot of focus has been on the Alpha course, but little on the staff (about 180) who manage it. Is there a "cult" within the church I wonder? This might only be "visible" to those who are "initiated" within the congregation. I am aware that some of the clergy pulpit call. I did see junior members of staff spiritually abusing each other once. They would only do that, so unconsciously and openly, if it was a norm for them in the church somewhere. What I mean is that, the example of the leaders often forms the habits of its core staff. The difficulty is that HTB is offically part of the Church of England and, therefore, receives somekind of protection. This is a good cover for them. If it were to break from the CoE (it may well do in the future) perhaps it would be harder for them to disguise possible cultic practices. The Independent (a UK newspaper) has investigated the Alpha course as cultic, but it needs to turn its attention to what might be taking place within the church somewhere. No cult, try as they might, can ever hide, or disguise, that peculiar look of fear in its members.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.