What brought you to a cult?
Posted by: kenroberts72 ()
Date: September 20, 2003 11:36AM

My name is Ken I'm a student and am doing a paper on what draws people to a cult. If anyone could send me an email telling me a little about their connection and how it happened I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance, Ken Roberts

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Professing ()
Date: October 13, 2003 07:07PM

Ken, many people in some of the more legalistic fellowships or sects were BORN into the groups! As small children, we internalized the rules, traditions and lifestyle. There is a family feeling that is often felt by close members since they fear those outside their sect. In the nameless "truth" sect of the friends and workers, you are born into the group in most cases. You hear other churches damned into hell (today's workers are more subtle about it) as small children. The same phrases are rehashed over and over again! In convention or meeting testimonies of "The friends", you hear the "way" being praised and the world (meaning everyone outside the group) being held is scorn. It finally effects your thinking.
Most of us are or were BORN into such groups IMHO. Some come from dysfuctional families and need a community of believers who will show them love (albeit conditional love).

Posted by: Aethersage72 ()
Date: October 19, 2003 07:24AM

Most of these groups prey on the vulnerable or abused. The group will love bomb a certain individual who has been starved for affection or right relationship and eventually withhold that love as a punishment for displeasing them a/or going against the group agenda. Alternately they will reward any action for done for the benefit of that group by loving on these people once again.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: October 23, 2003 09:55AM

There is a cult that convinced parents to place their kids into a "rehab" home - normal rowdy teenagers, some not so rowdy - here in NJ. Some of these kids spent years in what has recently been discovered to be a cult.

Posted by: kenroberts72 ()
Date: October 24, 2003 08:06AM

Thank you all very much. This info is very helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.