Documenting the history of TLWF
Posted by: baldwookie ()
Date: August 28, 2020 11:20PM

Hello!

Like many people have posted here I grew up in "The Walk." I am the product of an arranged marriage which led to pretty disastrous results. I grew up moving up the west coast and as result attended services in a variety of locations (South Gate, Grants Pass, Portland (Lake Oswego), Seattle, Yakima). I am interested in documenting, or contributing to, a more thorough history of TLWF. Is anyone aware of work like this being done? Is anyone willing to share their stories. I currently live in the northwest but plan to travel to southern California once this pandemic is over to be available to meet with people in person and record their stories.

My is to provide a fact based coherent narrative to the events while also sharing the stories of those impacted.

Stay safe in these crazy times.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Documenting the history of TLWF
Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: August 29, 2020 10:11PM

W O O K I E

Welcome to the conversation. I have been a contributor to the main TheWalk/TLW forum above for many years. I would be happy to share anything you want.

What years covers the locations listed above? I put in 35 from Hawaii to DC and other places in between.

In addition to the Woodrow Nichols expose covering years up to 1980, there has been a Kelly Daniels book and an Andrew Marzoni article, the links which may be found on the FB Further Discussions page.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Lilith ()
Date: August 30, 2020 05:46AM

You can find 100's of stories over on the forum list under The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens about 15 years, 1155 pages worth, Over 2 million views. Lots of first hand fact based accounts there.

Posted by: Lilith ()
Date: August 30, 2020 11:06AM

baldwookie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello!
>
> Like many people have posted here I grew up in
> "The Walk." I am the product of an arranged
> marriage which led to pretty disastrous results. I
> grew up moving up the west coast and as result
> attended services in a variety of locations (South
> Gate, Grants Pass, Portland (Lake Oswego),
> Seattle, Yakima). I am interested in documenting,
> or contributing to, a more thorough history of
> TLWF. Is anyone aware of work like this being
> done? Is anyone willing to share their stories. I
> currently live in the northwest but plan to travel
> to southern California once this pandemic is over
> to be available to meet with people in person and
> record their stories.
>
> My is to provide a fact based coherent narrative
> to the events while also sharing the stories of
> those impacted.
>
> Stay safe in these crazy times.

Actually now that I think back yes, some guy named Richar' Farr wanted to do a "fact based" movie about the Walk and JRS and some blathering about Yoko Ono and Tony Cox. As far as I know it went nowhere because as a people that were exploited by the Walk many of us had no interest be being exploited again and that was 7 years ago I doubt that much has changed in that regard.

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: September 27, 2020 04:39AM

I have no current knowledge of Richard Farr but it is my understanding that he was convicted of violence (I believe in Colorado) against his wife who divorced him and fled with her children. Because walk members gave her shelter, Mr. Farr has never stopped following (stalking?) former members of the walk and his ex-wife and family (that is my understanding and opinion).

Please do not consider him a reliable source. Stay safe.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: September 27, 2020 06:43AM

Thanks, Onion. Good info.

Posted by: katnmouse91265 ()
Date: December 23, 2022 05:35AM

I just posted my story on the walk forum as well. They preyed on children and I swear they could sniff out the ones that were being or were abused as children. They would make it all seem so interesting and new and it felt like you were no longer alone.

It's all false feelings. I'm 57 now and I'm still having a hard time with it. I was 12 and 13 years old.

Did it shape my life oh yes it did but not necessarily in ways I wanted my life shaped.

Feel free to pm me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.