Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Were the rumors about the Walk true or persecution from cult hunters?
Posted by: Chaos1952 ()
Date: July 20, 2013 03:39PM

I am like the rest of you, still trying to make some sense of it all. I did, and still do have a tremendous respect for the illusion that I have created in my mind about JRS. But I know that a lot of it is illusion. I do believe that he got off on the worship like just about anybody would. I would like to know what JRS felt about some of the things that were going on in the WALK, and if some of the things I have heard actually happened.

Since John Stevens was foolish enough to divorce his first wife and marry Marilyn I have come to the conclusion that many of the "rumors" that I had heard and blew off as "persecution" by the cult hunters, MAY WELL have been true.

When John Stevens and Martha Stevens got the divorce, was Martha telling the truth when she said that JRS had MILLIONS of dollars, like FOURTY MILLION in cash and property, or was that perhaps a jilted wife just rambling?

Did the pastor of a local Walk church talk "just about every woman" in that church into having "special kingdom relationships" with him, (in other words have sex with him) just like big name charismatic "bishop" Earl Paulk of a mega church in the Atlanta area? If that happened did this pastor face any discipline for it by the apostolic company and John Stevens himself?

Was there a silver mine scam where church members were ripped off for a whole bunch of money, and if so, who got the benefit of that money?

What about the "kingdom businesses" ? ? Were Walk members working in them sacrificially to "bring forth the Kingdom" but in essence Walk leaders were just getting their pockets full at the expense of brainwashed members?

Options: ReplyQuote
JOHN ROBERT STEVENS the WALK up until his death in 1983
Date: July 22, 2013 05:29AM

There is another message board about the Living Word Fellowship (the Walk) that mostly is people talking about the present leadership and the current situation in that group. I would like to see if some of the old timers would be more prone to type here of their experiences with the Living Word Fellowship while it was under the rule of John Robert Stevens before Marilyn took over.

Re: JOHN ROBERT STEVENS the WALK up until his death in 1983
Posted by: sierradawn ()
Date: July 22, 2013 11:25AM

Chaos,

Which message board is it? Can you post a link?

Thanks,

Sierra

Re: JOHN ROBERT STEVENS the WALK up until his death in 1983
Date: July 31, 2013 01:57PM

sierradawn
Chaos,

Which message board is it? Can you post a link?

Thanks,

Sierra

I was talking about the main forum Sierradawn, at that time mostly the discussion was about the Hargraves, but now there is a lot more discussion about John Stevens.

Re: Were the rumors about the Walk true or persecution from cult hunters?
Posted by: jan w. lane ()
Date: February 24, 2015 12:07PM

I was in the Walk for 13 yrs. I will say that much of what has been written about it is true, and not false rumour.

I don't know how much money JRS was worth. You have to be careful of any religious organization in which the leadership enjoys a higher than average type of lifestyle..........expensive properties, airplanes, fine art collections, fancy cars, etc. Something is then definitely not right.

I will attest to experiencing the loss of several thousand dollars in the Nevada silver mine scheme. I was not up for the investment but my former husband went along with it.

My marriage was an arranged marriage. We were told what jobs to quit, when it was against the will of God when I became pregnant. We were also led to live in a communal setting shortly after our arranged marriage.

I was a member of 2 congregations, the one in Campbell, Ca and also the one in Chula Vista. By all accounts, my experiences in the Chula Vista congregation under leadership of RD Cronquist, were very bizarre.

Violent intercession, praying for the death of people, labeling people such as Naomi Klein whom I had known and thought kindly of her............well, she was a so called Nephilim Spirit and they prayed for the death of her. They also prayed for the death of political leaders of the time.

The Kingdom Business paid their workers a salary that nobody could survive on.

I also knew Gary Hargrave when he was married to Donna. Their marriage, like others in the walk, suffered. The whole Walk is about power and everything that does not glorify Christ Jesus. It is a CULT.

Posted by: Apostle Dog ()
Date: August 08, 2015 10:45PM

I too would like to know the salary of John Robert Stevens, and I'd like to know about fringes like love offerings and free labor on his properties, what sort of properties did he have. I have the feeling he was just another greedy, egotistical preacher with the need to be idolized.

Date: August 17, 2015 08:55AM

Jan, who arrainged your marriage? I would like to know if John Robert Stevens did that with any of the marriages. I would like to know more about John Robert Stevens, as to what sort of man he was.

Posted by: jan w. lane ()
Date: September 19, 2015 08:14AM

Who arranged my first marriage? Well, that is complex. First of all, unless you were dating someone in the walk, be it your local branch or one of the other approved branches, you were walking outside of the protection of the church and you would in most cases be cast out. People who came into the walk as a couple were permitted to stay involved.
Most young people are on the lookout, naturally, for possible mates. In the Walk, this choice was limited to perhaps only a few logical choices.
I came into the walk in Campbell, Ca. Given my age, there were a few suitable candidates for marriage possibilities. Most of the time people would casually go out in groups with other young people, and perhaps at some level, there was choice involved, but in reality it was totally limited, nearly arranged.
The couple would approach the local pastor, say in my case, it was Howard Klein. Howard was a good person, and he basically would support a couple's decision to date. You would be checked out by the elders of the church and I really do not recall any issues that any of the young folks would have, but you were then generally checked out by Bro. Stevens, eventually. In my case, my first husband was from San Diego, and so was I. After having been advised to quit my job as a flight attendant, I decided to go home to San Diego, as the person I was going out with, purely as part of a young peoples group, was moving to San Diego. We attended Coniah Chapel, and just about right off the bat we were called on the podium by RD with a message that we should be thinking about marriage. Then we were sent to JRS for confirmation.
As far as personal choice in the matter of marriage is concerned, perhaps it was there at a very limited level. The only marriages that I know of that are still intact after 40 some odd years are the marriages in which the young couples had already come together in a much more natural process, meaning they had met before becoming involved with the Walk churches. Most are, sadly divorced. Very common outcome. My ex and I have been divorced for 30 yrs. and for the time between then and now, I remarried, and he only remarried last year. Coincidentally to a former Coniah Walk member. Very strange indeed.

Date: November 14, 2015 05:30AM

Here is a living word by Brother Stevens:

After all, we is all brothers, in that great paternity, the MYSTIC KNIGHTS OF THE SEA, and we has got to take a united front, for it’s all for one, and one for all.”

George, Kingfish, Stevens, of the Mystic Knights of the Sea lodge…. 1950

Date: March 03, 2016 01:58AM

Vicar of Christ
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the novel by Walter F. Murphy, see Vicar of Christ (novel).
Vicar of Christ (from Latin Vicarius Christi) is the term used in different ways, with different theological connotations throughout history. As the original notion a vicar is of "earthly representative of God or Christ" but also used in sense of "person acting as parish priest in place of a real parson"[1] The title is now used in Catholicism to refer to thebishops[2] and more specifically to the Bishop of Rome (the pope).[3]

Can you see that “Christ in the Earth” is exactly the same thing as the above “Vicar of Christ.” There has never been much difference once you establish there is a man or a man and woman in the world that is “in place of Christ,” or “Antichrist” you come up with deception because that is EXACTLY what Jesus taught when He said “call no man father.”

This is exactly what John Robert Steven’s position was over the Living Word Fellowship, same as a Pope. This is exactly what the combination Gary and Marilyn were above the Living Word Fellowship, the two became the Vicar of Christ, or Christ in the Earth.

There was a time when JRS said that there would be a thousand that would out minister him, all because of their submission and the impartation they would receive from their affiliation with him, well, this is 2016, how did that go? Instead of the people in the church maturing, they became less and less until their whole purpose was to minister up from their money and their labors and their prayers. That is exactly opposite of what a relationship between a ministry and the people in that congregation should be.

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.