What can I do if someone I care about is in a cult/group?
Posted by: Anon001 ()
Date: April 13, 2015 02:17AM

Last week I realized someone I know and was close with is in a self-help cult/group/community (Real Love). I think I am the only person who really knows the extent of what is going on. He also cut me out of his life for the most part when I told him I wouldn't participate in it. Does anyone have any advice in terms of who I should reach out to? Family members? Friends? Should I try to get him on board to see a psychologist with me? I feel very distraught about just walking away because I really want to help him out of this. The group was initially deceiving and I was starting to get involved myself until I realized it didn't really make any sense. I did read that family members and friends can help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What can I do if someone I care about is in a cult/group?
Posted by: rachel0705 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 02:11PM

I'd like to know this as well.

Re: What can I do if someone I care about is in a cult/group?
Posted by: SeePony ()
Date: May 16, 2015 09:28PM

Wasn't sure what Real Love is, until I found this:
[forum.culteducation.com]

Seems to me like a business, selling expensive "entertainment" services. It may help if you can provide more background.

Is your friend spending too much of money for seminars/coaches ?

Some thoughts:

1. Learn and understand (without judging) what this "cult" means for your friend and in what ways is he getting involved with them. Ask him to share with you what he is learning/experiencing from this group.

2. Talking about judging, try for yourself to develop an objective/non-partial view about the situation.

It's tempting to generalize about a situation being all bad, but there are always some benefits, some good that goes with the bad. Also, you can't tell with certainty there will be a bad result, the future is a funny thing, sometimes surprises us.

But ultimately, you will need to be honest.Try to establish a climate where you can accept eachother oppinions, while sharing your worries about the situation.

3. Encourage your friend to grow, be proactive, put into practice what he has learned, in his own life, relationships, share with others (maybe doing charity work).

4. I wouldn't push any help upon him, unless he asks for it. You can try to involve another friend, if there is a person that's mature emotionally and that your friend harbors respect for.

Only you can decide how much effort you are willing/able to invest in helping your friend.

Accept that ultimately you cannot control his decisions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.