Response to the article about R.G.Stair
Posted by: lj ()
Date: February 23, 2006 01:53PM

Today just out of the blue I thought I would type my name in one of the search engines and I was surprised to see an article taken from a news-paper in South Carolina that covered the happenings at a community called "The Overcomer Ministry."

My husband and children and I lived in the community for 6 years and supported it for years prior to being allowed to move there. As I read the articles, fresh emotion came to the surface. I was there, I know what took place and it bothers me that anyone else reading the article would think that things eventually went well, especially between Stair and his wife. A huge part of organizations like this one, is to "spiritualize" EVERYTHING.

I don't hate these people, but I certainly do hate the lies they told and tell. It would be so nice if they would just come clean, be honest, not be honest when it will make them look good.
Reports tell me, and I need to say, reliable sources, that Stair is exactly the same as he was before what he had been doing got out to the police and new reporters. He still is chasing after young girls.

I hope anyone who reads this and is thinking about moving there, especially if you have young girls, will reconsider, take a good honest look at it all and most of all, don't let yourself be swayed by Stair who likes to use the Word of God to force people to do what he wants them to do.

One thing he knows, is that there are sincere people out there who truly want to serve the Lord and they are more than willing to do whatever it takes to make sure they please the one who died on Calvary to save them. Stair preys upon people like that. That is how we were. While it may seem that things change once you get "in." What actually happens is that things don't change, you just begin to see the light so to speak. Our daughter is now a very lovely young lady. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he would have been plotting ways to get to her. This man is in his 70's, near 80 and he thinks he is as desirable as any 20 or 30 year old!

He used to say to us, "I have been schooled for you." We thought he meant that he was schooled by God about how to deal with people that basically he veiwed as rebellious, but what he really meant was how well schooled he was to manipulate us and he did and is doing it today still. I remember after one of his "talks" he dismissed us and as the people dispersed he stood there watching them and oblivious to me, he said, "Ah, the power of suggestion." I knew then that he was truly playing mind games with us. How sad! Most came to serve the Lord and were sore disappointed to find that there it was totally impossible to do.

I have so much on my heart. I am thankful for what I've learned. I'm not easily swayed by any "preacher." I know how important it is to make sure to let nothing between the Lord Jesus Christ and myself, that He alone is the mediator between God and me. Some good things have come of it. I just want people to be ware. Take a good long look at what others have to say, weigh it all with prayer and common sense!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: February 28, 2006 01:48PM

Thanks for sharing the warning about this group. You sound like you have recovered somewhat from the abusive experience. How did you manage to extract yourself from the situation and what was the most helpful to you in your recovery?
Love ya!

Posted by: lj ()
Date: March 01, 2006 01:08AM

Hi. That is a good question. While we were never told we couldn't leave, we were told on a regular basis that to leave would be a sin and that we would go to hell. To leave would be the equivalent of saying Stair was wrong, that you don't agree with him. So, we were threatened. Since we gave everything we had, money-wise, we had none. Stair did give us money to leave with and a moving van that someone had brought with them. Some may think that his giving us money to leave shows how generous he was, but you must understand that he had received lots of money, I personally saw the check for over 2 million and money was constantly coming in. So, to give us a couple thousand to move out isn't much. When you give everything and cut your family ties, where do you go with your family after 6 years? It was the least he could have done.

After it became obvious that Stair would not take responsibility for his actions, for it was made known, though most everyone knew what was going on to begin with, it was known that he was misusing his "authority" and having his way with several women and young girls as many as 5 and persuing others, myself amoung them. He lied and said that the women all had lustful spirits and that "god" told him to do what he did in order for the women to get the lust out? Make any sense to you? Right, it didn't to us either. Anyway, my husband and I both knew that he would never come clean and my husband told him that we were leaving. We just couldn't stay there any longer. So, we left.

Now, there have been many through the years who've lived there that weren't able to face Stair and the congregation and have left during the night. We would wake and go through our routine and at breakfast, we all ate together, it would be noted that someone or ones weren't there. They just didn't have it in themselves to tell him and everyone, face to face, that they wanted to leave. A lot of times, especially during the first couple of years there, I and others, never knew the reasons why people left. There was so much fear there, fear that Stair instilled. People were being abused and clearly he was in the wrong, but they would leave quietly while Stair lied about them accusing them of various things. He would often tell us that "God" had told him that he (God) was going to kill someone in his (Stair's ) presence and not many wanted to test that one out. We believed he was a prophet of God and he preached a good word, but he basically uses the Word of God as bait, to lure people in, then he watched to see who he could manipulate. Fortunately, my husband was not (is not) a man easily manipulated.

Somewhat recovered? I don't know that anyone ever is the same after something like that, but I would say that I've recovered fully, in that I maintain a life of service to Jesus Christ and daily press on toward the mark for the prize of the high calling in Christ Jesus. You choose what you will do with any experiences you have, they either make or break you. I would say that the most helpful thing to me was staying in the Bible and staying in touch with others who've been through the same ordeal. We've got lots of friends who've come out of that community that we keep in touch with. We compared notes and reasurred each other that yes, this is what is going on and no, it is not right. Another thing Stair didn't want was us talking amoung ourselves for he knew he was the topic of conversation and to discuss his actions amoung ourselves would eventually be the end of his reign of terror.

To some, what I write may seem way out there, but this is the way it was and is.
spectrum
Thanks for sharing the warning about this group. You sound like you have recovered somewhat from the abusive experience. How did you manage to extract yourself from the situation and what was the most helpful to you in your recovery?
Love ya!

Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: March 12, 2006 11:27AM

lj
To some, what I write may seem way out there, but this is the way it was and is.
I am wondering if you are aware of the other organisations that have message boards dealing with cults? I have never heard of the one you were in, and you might want to spread the word a little about the details that you shared here. Thanks so much for making me aware of this abusive group.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.