Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Looking for ex-subud members
Posted by: Ed Jones ()
Date: March 12, 2022 11:50PM

Subud seems to have pretty well fizzled out with very few active members.I was fortunate in not having parents who took religion seriously and with Subud I could take it or leave it, which I did. To me it is not like an insidious cult such as Jehovah's Witnesses as Subud does not have apostates, however I sympathise with those who have been brought up to take the doctrinal writings of bapak and others literaly.They are nonsense and make as much sense as R L Hubbard on Scientology.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kjstrat ()
Date: February 17, 2024 08:50PM

I'm 67 and joined Subud last year. A friend had been in Subud for years before he passed away two years ago. So when I reached out to the organization out of curiousity. I met with a helper for three months and was duly opened. Being opened felt more symbolic than anything, but I realized I've been in and our of cults for a long time. I realize now, just recently, that my birth family was like a cult. We were Catholics.

Latihan reminds me of Pentacostal prayer as much as anything. In that respect it has a certain appeal to me. Human beings live with a kind of divided consciousness between our conscious and subconscious minds. It's as if we live with one foot in the animal world and the other foot in a much finer world. So I'm always up to exploring that.

The problem is socialization and the inevitable peer pressure of any group. Back in the 80's I fell in with a Tibetan Buddhist center and learned so much. The inner silence of meditation, anger mgm't and practical vizualizations. I moved on to another city and 12 years later I took up briefly with a Shambala center. Trungpa had died in the 80's and the teachers were Americans by then. It felt manipulative and I didn't last long.

Same with the Gurdjieff groups. I was very lucky, my first mentor disabused me of my guru complex and steered my into the "12 steps" to deal with some personal issues. After 7 years our association ended when he said he didn't think he could do anything more for me. Keith was one of the most sincerely compassionate people I have ever know. Meanwhile I'd check out other 4th Way groups, more formally organized, that were manipulative and even sexual. Shambala ran into problems with that (but not on my dime).

Back to Subud, it's draw for me is that they handle "crisis." Everybody has religious and spiritual experiences. And sometimes very intense ones, as per Dr. Stanilov Grof. So the risk in powerful religious experiences one might end up in a psych ward medicated out. I don't think Subud people handle this anymore. David, a Subud old-timer said to me last summer that back in the 60' and 70's followers would go into crisis. He said he never sees it anymore.

Everyone in this group is old and they all seem to have a book fetish. My helper kept handing me book after book even after I told him I can't read all this. And he insists on driving me everywhere to latihan. He and David want to see where I live. Lol, I live in a camper after getting sick. Not much to see I tell them and beg off. We have very different attitudes about healthcare. Subud seems to be a shell of what it once was, where everyone is god drunk.

So though I am not an ex-member yet, the handwriting is on the wall. I suffer from mold illness that keeps me out of any water damaged building at this point. Most people are skeptical of such an illness as 95% of the doctors out there deny it exists, as does the CDC. So I can't do latihan in most places and I'll never be able to do a national or regional meeting not kbowing what I'm walking into mold-wise. But I'll have some fun with them before it's over.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 09:17PM by kjstrat.

Posted by: kjstrat ()
Date: February 17, 2024 09:06PM

I'm 67 and joined Subud last year. A friend had been in Subud for years before he passed away two years ago. So when I reached out to the organization out of curiousity. I met with a helper for three months and was duly opened. Being opened felt more symbolic than anything, but I realized I've been in and our of cults for a long time. I realize now, just recently, that my birth family was like a cult. We were Catholics.

Latihan reminds me of Pentacostal prayer as much as anything. In that respect it has a certain appeal to me. Human beings live with a kind of divided consciousness between our conscious and subconscious minds. It's as if we live with one foot in the animal world and the other foot in a much finer world. So I'm always up to exploring that.

The problem is socialization and the inevitable peer pressure of any group. Back in the 80's I fell in with a Tibetan Buddhist center and learned so much. The inner silence of meditation, anger mgm't and practical vizualizations. I moved on to another city and 12 years later I took up briefly with a Shambala center. Trungpa had died in the 80's and the teachers were Americans by then. It felt manipulative and I didn't last long.

Same with the Gurdjieff groups. I was very lucky, my first mentor disabused me of my guru complex and steered my into the "12 steps" to deal with some personal issues. After 7 years our association ended when he said he didn't think he could do anything more for me. Keith was one of the most sincerely compassionate people I have ever know. Meanwhile I'd check out other 4th Way groups, more formally organized, that were manipulative and even sexual. Shambala ran into problems with that (but not on my dime).

Back to Subud, it's draw for me is that they handle "crisis." Everybody has religious and spiritual experiences. And sometimes very intense ones, as per Dr. Stanilov Grof. So the risk in powerful religious experiences one might end up in a psych ward medicated out. I don't think Subud people handle this anymore. David, a Subud old-timer said to me last summer that back in the 60' and 70's followers would go into crisis. He said he never sees it anymore.

Everyone in this group is old and they all seem to have a book fetish. My helper kept handing me book after book even after I told him I can't read all this. And he insists on driving me everywhere to latihan. He and David want to see where I live. Lol, I live in a camper after getting sick. Not much to see I tell them and beg off. We have very different attitudes about healthcare. Subud seems to be a shell of what it once was, where everyone is god drunk.

So though I am not an ex-member yet, the handwriting is on the wall. I suffer from mold illness that keeps me out of any water damaged building at this point. Most people are skeptical of such an illness as 95% of the doctors out there deny it exists, as does the CDC. But I'll have some fun with them before it's over.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 17, 2024 02:03AM

You sound wise and have a delightful, droll sense of humor.

Do not relinquish up either of those!

Astoundingly wise for a teacher to advise 12 Step work. Ouspensky, from various reports, exhibited classic alcoholic behaviors by the time he died. Gurdjieff reportedly pressured people to drink heavily - despotic and despicable.

Mold illness is only too real. Upstairs neighbor got sick from mold in her apartment and had to lawyer up to force our idiot landlady to remedy it.

Posted by: Ananda ()
Date: April 23, 2024 11:35PM

I have thought for a long time that latihan is like the Pentecostal 'speaking in tongues'. You may not be able to control the process.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.