Looking for exmembers of Calvary Temple
Posted by: DinaM ()
Date: February 15, 2007 04:33AM

I am looking for exmembers of Calvary Temple in Sterling, VA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olorin ()
Date: April 01, 2007 07:31AM

HI....I saw your earlier post about any ex members out there. I am not an ex member, but my wife and I have started doing a little research into this Calvary Temple here in Sterling due to a very strange incident that occurred there. We had driven onto the property to show my son some of the geese that were near the pond there when we were approached by an asian gentleman and asked to leave the property. This was today, no one else was there and there were no tresspassing signs, no parishioners just this individual and his wife and child. This was an EXTREMELY rude exchange, my wife and I were very surprised at this especially since this is supposed to be a church. If you have any information on this group please PM me or post we would love to find out a little bit about this group. We immediately got the feeling that something was amiss here, I even called the church itself and am waiting for a reply from them. Thanks...

JP

Posted by: MarcStinebaugh ()
Date: July 18, 2007 09:48PM

Hi there,
I just recently left Calvary in Sterling. Any questions? Feel free to ask. I'm assuming you're talking about one of the deacons, he's short. He's really a nice guy, his name's Danny. I think the "cult" idea comes from a few things. One, they are serious about following what they BELIEVE to be the Word. Two, the relationship to the leadership and the relationship to the Lord is a bit out of order. This is peoples fault really, not just the leadership as far as I can tell. I wouldn't call it a cult, but I would say that things are a little bit out of order, (Which would really hurt them to hear, and it would just be denied.) and the Lord is going to probably change some things there "doctrinally" if they will open their hearts. Like I said, feel free to ask anything! Thanks, Marc.

Re: Looking for exmembers of Calvary Temple
Posted by: jadis ()
Date: September 18, 2009 12:48AM

Seems like this is a dead thread, but just in case: I am an ex-member, and this is definitely a cult.

Calvary Temple started in the late 70s as an Assembly of God church. Star Scott, the head pastor, came from California, and is heavily influenced by the faith movement of the 70s.

Calvary became independent from the Assembly of God church (and oversight) in the late 80s. Star Scott prefers power over money (to a point) because his teachings split the church in the mid-80s. The church was on its way to becoming one of the mega churches in NOVA with over 1,000 members and gaining. After he started teaching on his disapproval of specific members, there was a large split, and the church was left with less than 500 members. The member numbers started to decrease more after the church became independent and Star Scott implemented strict rules and heavy tithing (20% plus) requirements. If members could not afford the tithe or the mandatory schooling for their children, they were allowed to work off the amount by providing services around the grounds (cleaning, maintainence, etc.).

Into the mid-90s, rules became more strict, with clear social hierarchy. When people would disagree with or question a teaching, s/he would be punished by being required to sit within a specific section of the "sanctuary" during services. That person would also be placed on a social blacklist, and it was understood that the rest of the congregation would distance themselves with someone who may "backslide." The person was expected to reform their views and fall back in line with the "flock." In extreme cases, people would be ex-communicated from the flock. People within the church were, and are, not allowed to speak with ex-communicated members. Many families that left during this time were split. Children that wanted to stay with the church were encouraged in private to run away from their "rebellious" parents. Some children did run away, however, local police would return the children back to the parents. One child that stayed with the church later decided to leave, but left the associate pastor's house in the middle of the night for fear of his safety. His parents had not pressed legal charges as they had adult children still in the church.

Towards the latter end of the 90s, Star Scott was able to have the church's property signed over to him solely. He also started investing heavily in specialty racing cars (see finishtheraceministries.org). He also made nightly attendance of prayer meetings mandatory. The only day not required to be spent at church was, and is, Saturday. The church also prepped for the impending Y2K "disaster" by tithing extra to build up a food and emergency supply at the church.

In the early 2000s, Star's wife died of cancer. Within one month, he remarried a 22 year-old from the church. He preached (this can be found on swordofthespirit.org sometime in fall 2002) that, as the high priests in the old Testament, he was allowed to go out amongst the flock, and choose a virgin for a bride. A few families left after this announcement.

In 2008/2009, Star required that all the associate pastors sign over their homes to him. One pastor would not comply and left the church; however, he still agrees with all of the church's teachings and, therefore, has not been ex-communicated. Star's son also sent out an email in the fall of 2008 to the entire church, with an accusation that Star had sexually offended minors when he lived in California. After the email had been sent, Star told his followers they were not allowed to open the email. The email contained detailed information, enough that many individuals left afterwards. In 2009, the Washington Post published two extensive articles on the church, and the IRS looked into their finances.

Posted by: Guess Who ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:25AM

So what is happening now? Did the article have any effect good or bad on the church and or the people?

Posted by: Fallucco ()
Date: August 11, 2011 06:16AM

there are two churches in Albuquerque NM area with this name, I am wondering if these are part of the same movement? does anybody know?

Posted by: MarcStinebaugh ()
Date: September 27, 2011 05:48AM

Guess who asked if the article had a good or bad effect?
Well, this really depends on your perspective, but I think the people inside and outside the church would both agree it's had a good effect. To the people inside, they would say that it's good because it got some of the people that weren't serious out of the church, and I would agree, and I hope nobody is serious about being a member of Calvary Temple.
I know that since I left there (was told to leave on probation for 3 months with the leadership, LOL), every month of that first year of being gone, I heard about another family or person who left. My mom took a while to leave, then even went back, but finally left again. I know that a LOT of people, even ones I thought would never leave have left. Since the article, they've ramped up their social networking efforts, probably because their "Star" told them to. I imagine his money is dwindling after his latest Ferrari purchase recently.

For those who could have information, I have decided to (in no specific time frame) investigate "Star Robert Scott" in a different way.

I was recently watching a video about the music industry and it's followers of the occultist (Satanist) Aleister Crowley, and I noticed he made a statement that "Every man and every woman is a star"...

Now, why is his name Star? It's really Robert or Bob. Aren't Satanic occultists usually involved with pedophilia? Didn't Star rape his two five year old neices and marry a 20 year old virgin when he was almost 60 years old? I heard his young wife Greer talk on stage at the church about how she never thought she'd marry an old guy, but how God spoke to her and told her that he wanted her to marry him. I even know a guy at the church who claims that God told him they would get married, yeah, right.

Funny story, I just met a kid who I knew back at Calvary, and he told me how when Greer was TOLD she would be marrying Star, she was crying and saying she didn't want to. Now, I'd never heard that angle before, and the other suspicious thing is that it is quite well established that Satanic groups have long been involved with mind control techniques and use them on people (See: Monarch Programming), it would certainly explain a lot if he were an occultist.

And one last thing, I always wondered why his eyes were opened all wide and looked scary...For a while, I thought maybe it was a natural thing or that maybe it was the Spirit of God or something stupid....but looking back now with more knowledge and discernment....demonic possession would most certainly explain a lot of things.

Posted by: Fallucco ()
Date: September 28, 2011 09:19AM

thank you for your reply, I moved back to Fl Ocala area, used to live in Lake City, where cult Meade Ministries Inc recently changed its name to Mountaintop Worldwide Ministries, Inc. what a joke. the cult leader Charles Meade died of cancer last March 9 2010. got the best medical treatment, something that he forbid his followers. [ many died from the lack of proper medical care then he gets the best, dies anyway owell]. The weird eye look could be common factor amoung devil cults who post themselves as true believers in Christ, the End Timers, former name for Meade's folks. now I wonder if they call themselves mountaintoppers ? [my joke ] regards Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.