Should I tell him?
Posted by: danji88 ()
Date: March 10, 2010 06:58AM

To make a long story short. I was very once attracted to the orthodox groups Aish HaTorah and Or Somayach which had some programs in my country. In my country there aren't really a lot of orthodox jews, so I found it quiet intresting as a teenager with Jewish roots. I was very much into it, and the only brakes I had was staying true to my no. 1 value which was logic. It had to be logical proven before I'd step into it and move to a yeshiva in Israel. Luckily I discovered the Internet and the website daatemet.com, which totally made me question everything. Since the rabbis on the yeshiva couldn't give me any satisfying answers, they tried to hit me with the argument of "having a meaning to life". That arguement didn't hit me since it was not a logical one. I then decided to cast off everything completely, and I now eat pork and don't keep a thing, but I still keep a connection to other secular jews in this country. The way they logically try to convince people that Orthodox Judaism is true is so filled with scams and frauds and manipulated information, that I felt like a completely jackass, when I realized how stupid it was.
The process of comming out of it really stroke me harshly, since I didn't have any friends at all, and had to start rebuilding my new life in the secular world.

Then this weekend I was together with these secular jews for a poker game. Then all of a sudden I see that someone has invited this boy with the name Michael. Michael is 19 years old and turned religious 2 years ago. Someone among my secular friends apparently invited him. He's wearing a black hat and tries to teach us of his program in Or Somayach and how nice it is. He then comes with some sick statements about nonjews, and how they are all whores and made by bricks of pork. I shook my head and smiled and laughed out loud. This experience was so surreal, because I've heard all of his nasty words comming out of the people in Or Somayach, 3 years ago when I was at their program. And I believed in the words at that time.

He seems like a person who has his logic skills at a certain level, but on the other hand his social life has never been very good, as far as I've heard. He has always behaved strangely and really had no friends. He seems to have grown a lot of confidence though, by feeling that he's better than everyone else.

Should I tell him of my experience with these groups or should I just keep quiet and let him find his own way.

I'm now 21 years old and a happy guy now :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I tell him?
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 10, 2010 07:18AM

You can tell him.

But don't be surprised if he dismisses your comments completely.

Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: March 10, 2010 08:49AM

Have you heard the expression "When the student is ready the teacher will appear"?

I have tried my entire life to assist people who were making mistakes that I had made years before. I have NEVER had one friend change their decision. Typically they smile, thank you for your concerns and march off the cliff. Years later they will recount their experience and usually will tack on something like: "Why didn't someone warn me?"

I agree with rrmoderator. It sounds logical to your logical mind that reason will prevail but it will not until the sleeper awakens.

Posted by: rogue80 ()
Date: June 10, 2010 11:31PM

danji88
He seems like a person who has his logic skills at a certain level, but on the other hand his social life has never been very good, as far as I've heard. He has always behaved strangely and really had no friends. He seems to have grown a lot of confidence though, by feeling that he's better than everyone else.

This is the profile of a lot of people that are in a cult. One day they'll be full of confidence and the other day they'll be depressed of themselves and self-punish themselves.

Most of these cults will "play" with the process of people who has the superiority complex who want to control the people with the inferiority complex.

This is really sad and even if you try to explain everything to them they'll be deaf to it and they will discredit you with a lot of argument from their "masters".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.